The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:20 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:33 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:27 pm
I thought I couldn't be any more worried about our country's future but then watching some of the news coverage last night and this morning, proved me wrong.

The number of seemingly rational people who said "Bring back Boris" was quite distressing.
"I know he's a proven liar, cheat, bumbling, workshy, corrupt, incompetent laughing stock but he got Brexit done and he's a character "

Fook me. We've had it.
I’ve not seen anyone I’d class as rational seemingly or otherwise say that. Just the usual Tory headbangers.
For me, the only question is whether they're going to split over it. Their options as an MP will be "suck it up" or "join the jobless"

We've already had at least one of the 60 "I cannot serve in all good conscience" backing him.

Won't be long before there are others.
Others described his re-election as being ‘catastrophic’.
It's only going to take 100 of them, mate. The question will then become, whether 80 or so would walk the aisle, sit on cross or resign. That maths don't look great to me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:20 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:33 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I thought I couldn't be any more worried about our country's future but then watching some of the news coverage last night and this morning, proved me wrong.

The number of seemingly rational people who said "Bring back Boris" was quite distressing.
"I know he's a proven liar, cheat, bumbling, workshy, corrupt, incompetent laughing stock but he got Brexit done and he's a character "

Fook me. We've had it.
I’ve not seen anyone I’d class as rational seemingly or otherwise say that. Just the usual Tory headbangers.
For me, the only question is whether they're going to split over it. Their options as an MP will be "suck it up" or "join the jobless"

We've already had at least one of the 60 "I cannot serve in all good conscience" backing him.

Won't be long before there are others.
Others described his re-election as being ‘catastrophic’.
It's only going to take 100 of them, mate. The question will then become, whether 80 or so would walk the aisle, sit on cross or resign. That maths don't look great to me.
It will take only 36 of them to deprive them of a majority. But it’s more likely to be a chaotic bleed and mess and constant threat of rebellion I guess.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:02 pm

Yeah fair point - I only looked at Con v Labour which is 160. My bad. Whether they count 36 amongst their number is a better equation, whether it comes to pass remains to be seen, because the gamble is still "go to the country now and almost certainly lose your seat" or "go in two years and there might be a better chance." - I'm not convinced the turkeys will vote for Christmas.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:02 pm
Yeah fair point - I only looked at Con v Labour which is 160. My bad. Whether they count 36 amongst their number is a better equation, whether it comes to pass remains to be seen, because the gamble is still "go to the country now and almost certainly lose your seat" or "go in two years and there might be a better chance." - I'm not convinced the turkeys will vote for Christmas.
It’s already being openly discussed on Twitter amongst some journos that there are enough MPs who say they will resign the whip should Johnson get in to deprive them of a majority. Whether they would or not is of course a different matter. There is also a consideration that there are a number of Tory MPs who have indicated they won’t stand again so have little to lose.

Some might also regard their chances of being relented as an independent who stood up to Johnson as greater than Tories, they’d probably be right.

Not saying it happens but 60 odd of them wrote letters explaining how he’s not fit to lead the country…it’s hard to row back from this.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
It’s already being openly discussed on Twitter amongst some journos that there are enough MPs who say they will resign the whip should Johnson get in to deprive them of a majority. Whether they would or not is of course a different matter. There is also a consideration that there are a number of Tory MPs who have indicated they won’t stand again so have little to lose.

Some might also regard their chances of being relented as an independent who stood up to Johnson as greater than Tories, they’d probably be right.

Not saying it happens but 60 odd of them wrote letters explaining how he’s not fit to lead the country…it’s hard to row back from this.
Not only did 60 write letters, 148 said they had no confidence in him...so you never know.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Not only did 60 write letters, 148 said they had no confidence in him...so you never know.
The other thing is it’s quite one thing being the PM of getting Brexit done, abadoning austerity and levelling up compared to the situation we have now. Markets jumpy again today. Worried the harsh spending cuts and fiscal restraint won’t happen. And are hedging on even higher interest rates.

If he abandons the hunt plan then again he’s lost any chance of unity…I’m still unconvinced it makes sense for him. He’s the best option for labour, a gift for them. Amazing the Tories can’t see that. Or some can’t.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:44 pm

He's politically brighter than Truss (but then again who isn't) If he was going to do anything on tax, it'd be just before a GE in 2 years, I suspect...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Yeah but PM over a period of harsh austerity and cuts and people being unable to heat their homes, feed their kids and pay their mortgages with no route to really mitigating that and the markets dictating that borrowing can’t go up anymore is a very different environment to that Johnson walked into. It’s a very different ball game. And he has lost much public support. And the next year is not going to make the Tory party any more popular.

The Tories spent three months trashing his economic record….he was part of the ‘high tax low growth’ mob,

The political and economic challenge here is basically impossible. Johnson is narcissistic and stupid enough to ignore this and still jump at it. But the smart play for any would be leader is to wait for it to blow up labour win the next GE and then swoop in reform the party in opposition then have a go at what is likely to not be a hugely popular government who have like the Tories not had good economic headwinds.

I’m fairly sure that’s the game Wallace is playing. He doesn’t want to be associated with this shambles.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:02 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:29 am

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they support illegal immigration. Not once, ever. Asylum seeking isn't illegal.
[The amount of asylum seekers we let in is <9,000 a year since 2008 around 135,000.
The amount of legal migrants is huge by comparison - around 8,600,000 in the same timeframe
The amount of illegal migrants is unknown - but we have control of our borders so shouldn't be a problem for us anymore (snigger)

Which element are you trying to stop? Because if we stopped all asylum seekers and all illegal immigration, we're still letting 600,000 people a year in, through legal migration, which gets billed as a smaller number of net migrants (as we take away all the people that emigrated) but has a much larger impact on the composition of the UK.
Control and organisation, not stopping is the aim, as in all things and doing what is right. What that is right now, no one seems to know. Chritianity and charity are two edges swords, and practising what we preach has more edges than a box of Gillette razor blades. If they were the criteria, we should make the Archbishop of Canterbury Prime Minister. Politics is as confusing as :

"Yesterday( in Parliament) upon the stair, I me a prime Minister who wasn't there. H/she wasn't there again today, I really wish they'd go away!"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:28 pm

^^ nope, still lost TD :-)

Whatever we think of future policy (so let's hypothesise no immigration from tomorrow) we are a multicultural society. Most people are "good" we never hear about them. Some people are bad, these get pointed out...The Christian church of which I'm a part, can't really pretend to take the moral high ground, because there's good and bad there too...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:46 pm

Well sounds like he’s mad enough to go for it.

So Johnson is our new PM then. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:46 pm

I really hope not it's bad enough being dodgy but being an outright liar is far worse.
Trouble is none of the current contenders look any better.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:32 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I really hope not it's bad enough being dodgy but being an outright liar is far worse.
It seems hard to see how he is stopped unless he decides not to go for it, but indications are the massive plank will.

I couldn’t think of anyone less fit to lead. Literally anywhere. I could walk down the street right now and find a better leader standing with a can of special brew in the rain…

Literally mental stuff.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:36 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We need a change of government. The Conservative party needs that too.
Labour for a bit can't be worse than the current shitshow, and will force them to sort themselves out.
Simple as that for me. I'm your classic centrist floating voter, have voted for both in the past, mainly Labour. This current Tory lot though, no chance.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:51 pm

If they go for him with this standards report looming I'm going to start to think it's match-fixing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:32 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:51 pm
If they go for him with this standards report looming I'm going to start to think it's match-fixing.
I'm a somewhat confused at which point, you figured the match might be rigged? /passive aggressive....you're about to start thinking that way? The match has always been rigged, they just play us off round the margin

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:15 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Fook me. We've had it.
I’ve got a mate that thinks this from across the pond! Guess which one!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:11 am

I'm delighted to see he's humble enough to fly back economy class. Forget the Bullingdon Club, what a man of the people! As for Hobes "best of a bad lot" I'd rather have Truss back. At least it would be quick.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:37 am

I've just read through the "outside" views just for interest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63342558
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:32 am
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:51 pm
I'm a somewhat confused at which point, you figured the match might be rigged? /passive aggressive....you're about to start thinking that way? The match has always been rigged, they just play us off round the margin
As in they've all got money on Labour to win the next election. Though you've got to make sure you get the wording right, "Starmer next PM" is no good.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.