The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:14 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:58 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:24 am
There are some things about Trump that speak echoes of a male Margaret Thatcher; you cant agree with them, but you have to admire their guts. What we have today doesn't inspire much fight.
You see some bad takes on the internet sometimes. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one as bad as this. Lord above. Hitler also had a lot of ‘guts’ by that measure and Trump like Hitler tried to override democracy by force. Should we admire Trump’s guts just like Hitlers?
Get down from your pulpit and try reading what I say, rather than just your take on it. I see you left out the bit about not agreeing with them, or comparison with our own current brave current politicians. . Typical.
The point stands. What exactly are you admiring about a man who has continually tried to defy democracy and has a string of criminal cases against him?

He’s got guts? Guts to fight against democracy is that really what you are saying?

Shakes head and gives up. You know what they say about whoever mentions Hitler ends the argument? :conf:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:51 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:14 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:58 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:24 am
There are some things about Trump that speak echoes of a male Margaret Thatcher; you cant agree with them, but you have to admire their guts. What we have today doesn't inspire much fight.
You see some bad takes on the internet sometimes. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one as bad as this. Lord above. Hitler also had a lot of ‘guts’ by that measure and Trump like Hitler tried to override democracy by force. Should we admire Trump’s guts just like Hitlers?
Get down from your pulpit and try reading what I say, rather than just your take on it. I see you left out the bit about not agreeing with them, or comparison with our own current brave current politicians. . Typical.
The point stands. What exactly are you admiring about a man who has continually tried to defy democracy and has a string of criminal cases against him?

He’s got guts? Guts to fight against democracy is that really what you are saying?

Shakes head and gives up. You know what they say about whoever mentions Hitler ends the argument? :conf:
You were the one who claimed to admire him. You can’t explain what you admire. Guts to be an evil person is something to admire? Or are you saying he’s actually fighting against injustice?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:55 pm

In the words of the excellent Jonathan Pie, aimed at Rishi Sunak

"If you hear Liz Truss say something and think, yeah that's a good idea, you should probably go and kill yourself"

A last ditch move by an inept and desperate Government to buy a few votes back. Incredibly the UK's right wing think that this Tory Government is a tree-hugging, liberal lefties and they want them to be MORE fascist. They're certainly going to give it a go to appease them.

He mentioned an imaginary tax on Meat and told people that he's doing this to save our boilers. feck me. Really do hope this rabble of Tories get the shit kicked out of em
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:55 pm
In the words of the excellent Jonathan Pie, aimed at Rishi Sunak

"If you hear Liz Truss say something and think, yeah that's a good idea, you should probably go and kill yourself"

A last ditch move by an inept and desperate Government to buy a few votes back. Incredibly the UK's right wing think that this Tory Government is a tree-hugging, liberal lefties and they want them to be MORE fascist. They're certainly going to give it a go to appease them.

He mentioned an imaginary tax on Meat and told people that he's doing this to save our boilers. feck me. Really do hope this rabble of Tories get the shit kicked out of em
Yeah and replaced by who exactly?

Some bloke who doesn't know what a woman is?
A bloke who has no idea about if he will rejoin the EU or maybe not.
A bloke who really thinks he runs the show until he gets in and the unions take over.

Or even worse, the leader of the protest vote party who seems to forget most of his members came from the Monster Raving Looney Party after the death of Screaming Lord Sutch.

Don't like Sunak nor 'unt but have a genuine predicament, like many others I suspect, who to vote for. I hope an independent stands in my ward

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:32 pm

What's your predicament? Let's try and help. A sort of group hug as it were. Let's be honest Hobes, you ain't voting for Starmer or Davey. Greens - no. SNP...err no. What's left? Sunak or Reform? I reckon if Reform storm the polls, you might. If not, you won't want to split the vote, so Sunak it is.

Dilemma sorted.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:32 pm
What's your predicament? Let's try and help. A sort of group hug as it were. Let's be honest Hobes, you ain't voting for Starmer or Davey. Greens - no. SNP...err no. What's left? Sunak or Reform? I reckon if Reform storm the polls, you might. If not, you won't want to split the vote, so :D Sunak it is.

Dilemma sorted.
:D not really, this last lot are even worse than Johnsons mob at highlighting the Con in Conservative.
Frankly, I reckon they are riddled with splits, the inability to get much done despite their majority position in Parliament shows this to a tee.

Reform I'm sorry to say would end up doing even less if by an an absolute miracle they got elected, the wanderers have more chance of winning the Champions league.

Politics has nearly always been a bit dodgy but now it's the pits, we'd probably be better off and far safer in our homes if various areas were run by the equivalent of the bloody Kray twins, don't cross them, don't worry, plenty business they could extract tax from.

Come on, be honest, crime is going through the roof, anyone can walk (well sail) into this country, the NHS is falling apart, Khan and the silly old tool in Wales are going out of their way to punish car use, the Police pander to half wits blocking roads, we have a population not far short or more than much, much larger European countries minus the service capacity, our armed forces are being depleted alongside the tools and weaponry to do the job, what is there to like? None of the other parties have any real answers to this.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:16 pm

I think you're right overall. It's not much of a pick, don't see it entirely the same way, though on some of your "detail" :-) As a for example, lots made about green tax, but no mention of the £12bn per annum in tax breaks and subsidies for fossil fuels, to businesses recording record profits. Both subsidies coming from Mr and Mrs Taxpayer whose benefit is increased pump prices coz it's all a bit tough out there and we need to keep shareholders happy. Shafted at both ends. I wonder how much additional a week you could give to the NHS for £12bn a year? Surprised no fcker is driving round in a bus, with it on the side.

Why can anyone walk into the country? Because businesses like an excess of cheap labour and we're reliant on it for growth until the robots take over...I think we might have mentioned that Brexit wouldn't sort this problem out.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:45 pm

For reasons of health and sanity I left out the green meanies :D
The other thing, yeah it's stupidly to the extreme paying companies to extract our 'local' resources then jump on board the Saudi ship to sell it back to us at extreme profit rates, this by the way is the global world market so many seem to love at work here.
I Don't for one minute believe you would get value for money if you poured 100 billion a year extra into the NHS never mind 12, it is so broken up and disjointed by decades of political ideology there is no rapid cure.

Ha well I'd best stay off cliff edges for a while :wink:

Oh and BTW the folk entering the country I mean won't be working, in the main, for any proper companies.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:05 pm

Funny, innit, with demand for houses being so high and urgent, pretty much all major national housebuilders are slashing their volume forecasts by 25%-30%. Labour need to think why that might be before offering to concrete over England's green and pleasant...clue. it's because there's little margin in the ones that young people can afford.

Dumbest housing policy since this lot in charge.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:05 pm
Funny, innit, with demand for houses being so high and urgent, pretty much all major national housebuilders are slashing their volume forecasts by 25%-30%. Labour need to think why that might be before offering to concrete over England's green and pleasant...clue. it's because there's little margin in the ones that young people can afford.

Dumbest housing policy since this lot in charge.
Everyone agrees we need more houses - and more affordable ones.

Short of nationalising house building Labour's plan to tighten section 106 rules so that housebuilders can't wriggle out of affordable housing mid development as they do now - fast track brownfield site development through planning reform, build more social housing and build new towns with appropriate infrastructure seems to me the best plan that could be put on the table.

Certainly better than just leaving it as it is.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:19 pm

I think most would agree we need more affordable houses.

What they don't need is what developers are actually developing - £300k (local, Manchester) - £600k (national South East) houses on green-belt - they're going to investment funds and private owners, because lo and behold, folks on £30k average salary can't get mortgages for £300-£600k starter homes...

S106 reform is long overdue - will believe it when I see it.
Fast track brownfield I'm good with
Infrastructure is essential - but we need to stop leaving that to developers.

Personally, I'd nationalise as it'd chop house prices by about a third (if it was non-profit) and we CPO'd all the fcuking landbanks. They say they have none, yet they're worried shitless about CPO powers...Why?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:19 pm

What they don't need is what developers are actually developing - £300k (local, Manchester) - £600k (national South East) houses on green-belt - they're going to investment funds and private owners, because lo and behold, folks on £30k average salary can't get mortgages for £300-£600k starter homes...

Personally, I'd nationalise as it'd chop house prices by about a third (if it was non-profit) and we CPO'd all the fcuking landbanks. They say they have none, yet they're worried shitless about CPO powers...Why?
So would I! Or at least establish some publicly owned building companies.

I understand the political realities as to why they can’t do that or promise that at this stage.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:47 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:19 pm

So would I! Or at least establish some publicly owned building companies.

I understand the political realities as to why they can’t do that or promise that at this stage.
Yeah, sorry, (poor choice of words) I wouldn't try and "nationalise" the private ones, to be clear...but I would look at publicly owned...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:51 am

Seeing the Tories lose seats that (in a uniform national swing scenario) would leave them in double figures potentially as the third largest party is always fun.

Pretty unprecedented times.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:51 am
Seeing the Tories lose seats that (in a uniform national swing scenario) would leave them in double figures potentially as the third largest party is always fun.

Lovely to see but Labour increasing their vote by just 800 is concerning. The country appears hungry for change but unconvinced its Labour who can provide it.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Lovely to see but Labour increasing their vote by just 800 is concerning. The country appears hungry for change but unconvinced its Labour who can provide it.
Lower turnout in by elections do not negate that these are historically high swings to Labour. Indeed it is a larger swing than was achieved in 1996 in the seat closest to the new Tamworth boundary.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:58 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Lower turnout in by elections do not negate that these are historically high swings to Labour. Indeed it is a larger swing than was achieved in 1996 in the seat closest to the new Tamworth boundary.
I really can’t see why anyone who actually thinks about things would vote conservative this time. They can’t even get the usual things that appeal to their core right in immigration and the economy. My hope is that labour get a landslide and then actually make some progressive changes when they have a big majority.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:56 pm

If Labour is winning Tamworth and Mid Beds the country is pretty sure they're the answer.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:56 pm
If Labour is winning Tamworth and Mid Beds the country is pretty sure they're the answer.
Yeah I found it odd that someone fell for the Tory (and Corbyn supporter) propaganda that tried to downplay labours biggest ever bi election wins in history.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:28 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:56 pm
bi election wins in history.
It don't get more woke than that...World's falling to bits... 🤣

Realistically, if Labour can't win after austerity, Brexit, COVID, Johnson, Truss and Kamikwase, failing services and the highest tax burden in 70 years, then they should pack up

Whether they'll be able to do enough about it to last longer than 5 years, is tomorrow's problem...