The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: The people that literally man the lifeboats for RNLI don't really need some corporate ego the size of Donald Trump - they just need somebody as equally committed as they are with a little financial nous. That's a proper fxcking charity.
And what are they going to do if there's no money for boats? Swim out? By the way, the CEO of your "proper fxcking charity" was paid £143,583 in 2014 which I'm guessing is possibly a smidge more than your "Average salary plus reasonable bonuses" as defined by whoever you like!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: The people that literally man the lifeboats for RNLI don't really need some corporate ego the size of Donald Trump - they just need somebody as equally committed as they are with a little financial nous. That's a proper fxcking charity.
And what are they going to do if there's no money for boats? Swim out? By the way, the CEO of your "proper fxcking charity" was paid £143,583 in 2014 which I'm guessing is possibly a smidge more than your "Average salary plus reasonable bonuses" as defined by whoever you like!
Three things, no four.
1. I'm not after an argument.
2. RNLI is a proper fxcking charity because it does proper fxcking things. Not like some of these charities that turn out to be think tanks for some weird political agenda.
3. I know he earns that amount. The fxcker shouldn't.
4. Believe me, if he left tomorrow RNLI wouldn't be lacking in any way whatsoever. Must like Royal Bank of Scotland argued before it went tits up that it needed to pay proper market forces payments to the tw*ts that bankrupted it. My own 'firm' has got a new geezer in charge who's complaining about his predecessor ( who was paid as much as this new tosser). When his watch goes tits up, which it will, it'll not be his fault according to him.
5. I know, I said 4. On another thread I talked about Ferguson. For one Ferguson there are a million Mourinhos. We should be paying Coyle wages to the Murinhos in all walks of executive life.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Anyway. It should be against the law that executives of charities are paid more than the average wage
ditto for MPs...
Ditto your ditto, and town hall executives and councilors. ( and UEFA and FIFA executives - but I've obviously slipped into fantasyland there)
And you?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:01 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Anyway. It should be against the law that executives of charities are paid more than the average wage
ditto for MPs...
Ditto your ditto, and town hall executives and councilors. ( and UEFA and FIFA executives - but I've obviously slipped into fantasyland there)
And you?
And me what?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:
ditto for MPs...
And you?
And me what?
Do you deserve more than the average wage?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:25 pm

thebish wrote:
thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:
ditto for MPs...
And you?

Do you deserve more than the average wage?
How do you know I earn more than the average wage?
And I was talking about charities, not occupations. I think charities that are supported by public donation should not be a vehicle for employment... That is my main contention. I would also be happy to see 'political' public services treated the same as charities.
In occupations I would hope one day that a law would be enacted that limited the individual wealth of anyone to a 'reasonable' multiple of an average t. But trying to justify a blanket average on everybody will just lead to situations that are unworkable.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:40 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: How do you know I earn more than the average wage?

i don't - i just asked if you think you deserve to be paid more than it.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:36 am

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: How do you know I earn more than the average wage?

i don't - i just asked if you think you deserve to be paid more than it.
I don't see the relevance.
My contention is that charities aren't businesses. They have a different ethos, they have different tax rules, they should have different aims to Amazon, ICI, et al.
What you or I or Alan Sugar get or deserve has absolutely no relevance to the contention I stated, which to put in slightly different way is this: Oxfam do not need to be competing with RioTintoZinc to pay the highest wage to attract the 'best' CEO. They should be aiming for people who have the charities interests at heart, not their own back pocket. ( and if you think those people aren't out there, then it's a sorry world we live in).
On a separate note, I think there are too many charities, many of which fall way outside my definition of what a charity is.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:38 am

^ it's fine if you don't want to answer - just say so!

:D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:43 am

Every time I see a glossy ad for charity on TV I think, "right, okay you can get to feck then", sorry but the x amount of cash spent there would provide water for God knows how many for a good while!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:47 am

thebish wrote:^ it's fine if you don't want to answer - just say so!

Ok. Do I get paid more than the average salary. Yes and No.
Do I deserve it: YES.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:48 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:^ it's fine if you don't want to answer - just say so!

Ok. Do I get paid more than the average salary. Yes and No.
Do I deserve it: YES.
there - that was easy! :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:59 am

I've just checked, I get paid £3,348 p/a under the average wage ( if the average wage really is £26,500 what I've just googled). The bad news for average wage joes is that I only work half the hours the average wage earner does. Plus I get significant bonuses if I reach certain very stringent targets, with said bonuses added onto my pension pot. Hence the Yes and No, if you were wondering.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:13 am

MPs on under £30k a year!

A real incentive there for our finest minds to go into public service when a 21 year old graduate at PWC earns more.

Which fine minds then would be interested in pursuing a career in public service were this the case? Perhaps those with inherited wealth like the much-derided Chancellor.

In this hypothetical world I bet they couldn't wait to be voted out so they can get a proper paying job!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:30 am

Athers wrote:MPs on under £30k a year!

A real incentive there for our finest minds to go into public service when a 21 year old graduate at PWC earns more.

Which fine minds then would be interested in pursuing a career in public service were this the case? Perhaps those with inherited wealth like the much-derided Chancellor.

In this hypothetical world I bet they couldn't wait to be voted out so they can get a proper paying job!
Indeed - it's a nonsense. Maybe they'd need to work just a 37 hour week too.

There is of course an argument, quite rightly, that says it takes no qualifications at all to be an MP - just an ability to get elected. So your notion of fine minds isn't necessarily a good one.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Athers wrote:MPs on under £30k a year!

Indeed - it's a nonsense. Maybe they'd need to work just a 37 hour week too.

There is of course an argument, quite rightly, that says it takes no qualifications at all to be an MP - just an ability to get elected. So your notion of fine minds isn't necessarily a good one.
Plus they all get paid fortunes to sit on numerous boards, and 'retire' to give after dinner speeches at a few thou a shot. Plus we pay for their trains, taxis, meals, drinks, postage, additional houses, shoe leather etc. So yeh, £26,000 pa seems about right to me. Otherwise those fine minds can fxck off and run Northern Rock.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Theresa May, Michael Gove, Ken Livingstone, Boris Johnson, David Cameron... fine minds. I just realised you were being ironic Athers. Sorry.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: My contention is that charities aren't businesses.
You work for a charity then do you, Spotty?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: My contention is that charities aren't businesses.
You work for a charity then do you, Spotty?
No. I work for a business. When I buy a book from Amazon I realise that some 'entrepeneur' is ripping off a significant amount of my hard earned and that it doesn't all go to the author. That's part and parcel of living in a western capitalist society.When I give to the RNLI for unpaid volunteers to risk their lives rescuing folk I don't appreciate lining the greasy back pockets of slime bags who've been attracted to an executive job in competition with Ratners - that's just wrong.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Theresa May, Michael Gove, Ken Livingstone, Boris Johnson, David Cameron... fine minds. I just realised you were being ironic Athers. Sorry.
Naming game? come on

FWIW All are intelligent*, even Gove, who I too dislike and don't think is any good, is an example of social mobility and the President of the Oxford Union going into public service.

*I'm giving Livingstone the benefit of the doubt
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;