The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Hoboh wrote:Not sure I'd be happy if I was a Europhile
well, hot dang!! :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:31 pm

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Not sure I'd be happy if I was a Europhile
well, hot dang!! :D
Selective :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:49 pm

Is he leading the campaign to stay in? When did that happen?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Can I just stamp on a little inconsistency before we continue?

It is the pejorative use of the word "phile" - denoting a person or thing having a fondness for a specified thing - and "sceptic" - a person inclined to question or doubt accepted opinions.

This is of course, absolute horseshit. I would no longer dream of disbanding Parliament because I don't like Tory government as I would think of disbanding the EU because some of the things it does are shit. This doesn't make my opinion in any way "philic". In the same way that wanting to use a sledgehammer to smash a walnut is in any way reasoned doubt or questioning.

Perhaps we could replace it with "Europragmatist" and "Eurocrazedwildeyedlonegunmanwithgrudgeagainstcolleagues"?

Let the debate continue.....
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Can I just stamp on a little inconsistency before we continue?

It is the pejorative use of the word "phile" - denoting a person or thing having a fondness for a specified thing - and "sceptic" - a person inclined to question or doubt accepted opinions.

This is of course, absolute horseshit. I would no longer dream of disbanding Parliament because I don't like Tory government as I would think of disbanding the EU because some of the things it does are shit. This doesn't make my opinion in any way "philic". In the same way that wanting to use a sledgehammer to smash a walnut is in any way reasoned doubt or questioning.

Perhaps we could replace it with "Europragmatist" and "Eurocrazedwildeyedlonegunmanwithgrudgeagainstcolleagues"?

Let the debate continue.....
Feck me, you're a right Scepticophile.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:31 am

Worthy4England wrote:Is he leading the campaign to stay in? When did that happen?
After setting out his "please miss may I go to the toilet" aims then saying this,
The Prime Minister will insist he has “every confidence” that it is possible for the negotiations to deliver an agreement which works both for Britain and its EU partners.
“If and when we do so, as I said three years ago, I will campaign to keep Britain inside a reformed European Union – campaign for it with all my heart and all my soul, because that will be unambiguously in our national interest”.
I'd say he was for sure.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:43 am

Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Is he leading the campaign to stay in? When did that happen?
After setting out his "please miss may I go to the toilet" aims then saying this,
The Prime Minister will insist he has “every confidence” that it is possible for the negotiations to deliver an agreement which works both for Britain and its EU partners.
“If and when we do so, as I said three years ago, I will campaign to keep Britain inside a reformed European Union – campaign for it with all my heart and all my soul, because that will be unambiguously in our national interest”.
I'd say he was for sure.

I think the question was more whether he is actually LEADING such a campaign... he clearly isn't as his official position is that he wants to negotiate reforms before deciding... (the prime-minister, that is - unless you meant George Monbiot!)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:05 pm

Indeed - he says he will campaign for...and that's fine. Leading the fecking thing??!! Hopefully not.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:23 pm

the chairman of the cross-party "Britain Stronger in Europe" capaign group is, in fact, Stuart Rose - former CEO of M&S...

there is only one "in" campaign group. Rather characteristically there are TWO "out" campaign groups - cos they can't agree to work together!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:27 am

I see Jezza's has shot himself and his party in the foot again. Following criticism of his misogynist approach to cabinet selection, he at least appoints a female secretary of defence. Now he's appointed Ken Livingstone to complete the party review of defence, completely undermining her. Does he have any idea about modern politics at all??!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:30 am

He could put her in charge of HR - so at least there's a seat on the Board...she will of course have to travel in her own women only train carriage to get to the meetings...I think this is more about "who agrees with me on Trident" than Defence, but a very retrograde step.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:32 am

Bijou Bob wrote:I see Jezza's has shot himself and his party in the foot again. Following criticism of his misogynist approach to cabinet selection, he at least appoints a female secretary of defence. Now he's appointed Ken Livingstone to complete the party review of defence, completely undermining her. Does he have any idea about modern politics at all??!
Perhaps the female talent in the party is not that great? Certainly the ones I've seen and heard interviewed etc come across very poorly.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I see Jezza's has shot himself and his party in the foot again. Following criticism of his misogynist approach to cabinet selection, he at least appoints a female secretary of defence. Now he's appointed Ken Livingstone to complete the party review of defence, completely undermining her. Does he have any idea about modern politics at all??!

I think he has an idea - he's been around it long enough.. I suspect he's a whiole lot cannier than he comes across.. having said that - I'm not sure what Ken's credentials are for such a task - but then I haven't read much about the process and/or Ken's or Eagle's roles in it.. can you say more?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:29 pm

meanwhile, corbyn insanely calls for sanctions against countries that fund ISIS... the mad fecker!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Perhaps the female talent in the party is not that great? Certainly the ones I've seen and heard interviewed etc come across very poorly.
Well the Labour party has just elected an 100 year old male throwback as party leader...so doesn't say much about the male talent either, in fairness...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:07 pm

To all intents and purposes, it looks like Corbyn is gathering the old left around him. The fact that the old guard are a. Old b. Male and c. entirely white doesn't say much for a man who is supposed to be the ' New style of politics' commander in chief.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:50 pm

thebish wrote:meanwhile, corbyn insanely calls for sanctions against countries that fund ISIS... the mad fecker!
F*cking pacifist.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:To all intents and purposes, it looks like Corbyn is gathering the old left around him. The fact that the old guard are a. Old b. Male and c. entirely white doesn't say much for a man who is supposed to be the ' New style of politics' commander in chief.
and by the "old left" gathered around him you mean??

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:01 pm

thebish wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:To all intents and purposes, it looks like Corbyn is gathering the old left around him. The fact that the old guard are a. Old b. Male and c. entirely white doesn't say much for a man who is supposed to be the ' New style of politics' commander in chief.
Ken Livingstone? He's only had his nose back in the trough for 20 minutes and he's already offended sufferers of depression, the complete arsehole!
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
Ken Livingstone? He's only had his nose back in the trough for 20 minutes and he's already offended sufferers of depression, the complete arsehole!

Ken was an ACE mayor of London! I say that as someone who lived in London during both his and Boris's reign... Boris was crap!