The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:41 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Oh, he's very relevant

It will be him we thank for years and years of Tory government

hmmmm... it wasn't under Corbyn's watch that these "years of Tory govt" were ushered in... that was the safe, steady-as-you-go, say what you think they want to hear, centre of the labour Party in full spin-cycle...
But Miliband was seen by the public as 'too left wing'. As polls have shown.
I think him coming across as an awkward dick was a greater issue, along with the fact they let the Tories tell everyone for 5 years that the financial problems were their fault and not mostly the banking system, without calling bullshit.
All of that. But it is remiss of people to cite Miliband as being perceived as being "too safe and central in politicial terms" when that wasn't the perception of the electorate at all.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Oh, he's very relevant

It will be him we thank for years and years of Tory government

hmmmm... it wasn't under Corbyn's watch that these "years of Tory govt" were ushered in... that was the safe, steady-as-you-go, say what you think they want to hear, centre of the labour Party in full spin-cycle...
I think him coming across as an awkward dick was a greater issue, along with the fact they let the Tories tell everyone for 5 years that the financial problems were their fault and not mostly the banking system, without calling bullshit.
All of that. But it is remiss of people to cite Miliband as being perceived as being "too safe and central in politicial terms" when that wasn't the perception of the electorate at all.
He was not that, but I don't think he knew what he was himself. He said whatever he thought was blowing in the wind at the time.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Miliband had leftist tendencies and was not, in thought, a centrist at all. It's no coincidence that he is his Marxist mother's favourite of the two politician sons.

Immediately post the election it was reported that, close to election day, at a time he was feeling confident that he would be the leader of a Labour-led coalition a number of moderate Labour shadow figures approached him to ensure some of the views being attached to him were not accurate. In his confident mood he gave them short shrift. He would not be a compromiser.

It's all moot now of course and there is a man in charge who, albeit a life-long animal of protest, is now able to say what he feels more openly than Miliband did .... though less openly than he's been used to.

But Miliband was portrayed quite accurately in my view. His inability to shake off the awkward, nerdy image was fatal to his chances of being successful, whatever his views.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

IIRC the polls about the last election were massively up the spout!!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:54 pm

The Conservative MP that I truly respect - and is from Bolton.

http://www.map-uk.org/news/archive/post ... population" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:56 pm

William the White wrote:The Conservative MP that I truly respect - and is from Bolton.

http://www.map-uk.org/news/archive/post ... population" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I too respect her. Are members of the HoL also called MPs?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:29 pm

William the White wrote:The Conservative MP that I truly respect - and is from Bolton.

Sorry mate, anyone with the name Morris in politics connected to Bolton should be shot!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:12 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

They are... Errrmmm... I think...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:01 am

Normally referred to as Peers I think.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:48 am

William the White wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

It was an honest question as I don't know. One normally hears of soandso as MP for Bolton West, while peers have no constituency. Still, the HoL is part of Parliament.. I'll have to do some research.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:54 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

It was an honest question as I don't know. One normally hears of soandso as MP for Bolton West, while peers have no constituency. Still, the HoL is part of Parliament.. I'll have to do some research.
Hmm. The official Parliament website states the following:
Standards

MPs and members of the House of Lords are expected to adhere to high standards in their public life.
As if, eh? Nonetheless, from this I would assume they are exclusive categories, though I'm willing to listen to counter-arguments.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:05 pm

Ah, the leftie ninja's have found a new cause celeb!
'Mass invasion' of 100 migrants onto Eurotunnel's Calais tracks was organised by 'British anarchists and left-wingers' say French officials
It really is time to break out the live ammo and dispose of these cretins.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Hoboh wrote:Ah, the leftie ninja's have found a new cause celeb!
'Mass invasion' of 100 migrants onto Eurotunnel's Calais tracks was organised by 'British anarchists and left-wingers' say French officials
Ah, there we have it. So, you'd support the mass execution of women, children and men from other countries to ensure they don't get to live here. Way to go Adolf. Is there an emoticon with thumb and forefinger touching whilst waving up and down?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:27 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Ah, the leftie ninja's have found a new cause celeb!
Ah, there we have it. So, you'd support the mass execution of women, children and men from other countries to ensure they don't get to live here. Way to go Adolf. Is there an emoticon with thumb and forefinger touching whilst waving up and down?
Why? Are they all leftie ninja's too?
I think you are so consumed with trying to label hoboh you are now missing the point, so I will clear it up for you;
Leftie ninja's who riot and cause mayhem at nearly every occasion they are present at should be shot on sight or bare minimum tasered!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:05 pm

It would perhaps be useful to clarify exactly who the 'Cretins ' are then. I presume your source for the above is the Daily Heil as usual? And do they have a shred of evidence that British anarchists/ lefties were involved??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:23 pm

^^^ do you really believe they aren't ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:28 pm

Schindler was probably a leftist anarchist to the Nazis. At least in hindsight. Think of those anarchist types who tried to save Jewish kids from the death camps.

The basic lack of human decency regularly shown on here is shocking.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:33 pm

The 'no-borders' and 'anti-capitalist' anarchists barely warrant comparison with Shindler.

Give your head a shake.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Schindler was probably a leftist anarchist to the Nazis. At least in hindsight. Think of those anarchist types who tried to save Jewish kids from the death camps.

The basic lack of human decency regularly shown on here is shocking.
So, let me get this right, you are pleased to be aligned with those who are more than happy in the name of whatever cause is flavour of the day, to break the law?
Tut, tut.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Bloody Tories!! :twisted:
Not only will I have substantial roadwork's to deal with on Monday on my way to the Manchester Royal but diversions and disruptions caused by the slap on the back brigade holding their annual shin dig!
Cameron out!