The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Beefheart » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:41 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Did the shadow chancellor just quote Chairman Mao and throw the little red book across the dispatch box?
Such a nice person. Labour need to stop being shit and quickly.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Well, how is the move on from sleek New Labour professionalism going lads?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 pm

Leave the flat pack furniture alone Corbyn if this is your best example of how to assemble a cabinet :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Beefheart wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Did the shadow chancellor just quote Chairman Mao and throw the little red book across the dispatch box?
Such a tw*t. Labour need to stop being shit and quickly.
it was, to put it mildly, a bit of a mis-step! :D

however...

labour have actually been remarkably effective for only a few months in opposition...

yesterday the tories did a massive U-turn on cutting tax credits - something they were previously absolutely determined to do and they scrapped their plans to slash the local policing budget...

these have been two of the things that Corbyn's opposition has focussed on...

I very much doubt that the slick mob Pru longs for would have effectively opposed the tax-credit cuts being as they were falling over themselves to agree with any statement that had the word "austerity" pinned to it for fear of being accused of not being tough enough or "realistic" enough about the economy...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:26 pm

meanwhile...

the wonga set aside to renew trident quietly racks up a further £16billion - another £6billion just for the sake of it - and a further £10billion for "contingencies"... it's now reckoned to be £31billion to renew and £10billion contingency (which - at a third of the budget - seems like a lot of contingency!)

afford it? yeah - no probs...

oh - and - errr... sorry - the new ones won't be ready until a couple of years after the old ones have been retired.... perhaps we should have mentioned that... errrr... sorry!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:34 pm

meanwhile elsewhere...

Alex Salmond skips debate on bombing syria to unveil a portrait of himself...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:01 pm

^^^ all politics apart, isn't he one of the most skappable people you've ever seen !?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:13 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^^ all politics apart, isn't he one of the most skappable people you've ever seen !?

end the thread here ALERT!!!! Bobo and Bish in total political agreement (assuming Bobo means slappable!) :pissed:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:25 pm

thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Such a tw*t. Labour need to stop being shit and quickly.
it was, to put it mildly, a bit of a mis-step! :D

however...

labour have actually been remarkably effective for only a few months in opposition...

yesterday the tories did a massive U-turn on cutting tax credits - something they were previously absolutely determined to do and they scrapped their plans to slash the local policing budget...

these have been two of the things that Corbyn's opposition has focussed on...

I very much doubt that the slick mob Pru longs for would have effectively opposed the tax-credit cuts being as they were falling over themselves to agree with any statement that had the word "austerity" pinned to it for fear of being accused of not being tough enough or "realistic" enough about the economy...
As much as I in part agree, I'm not really sure Labour had all that much to do with the U-turns....

But yeah. I also don't think they're a very effective opposition right now.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:33 pm

well - before corbyn elected - labour MPs were instructed to abstain on austerity bill... after Corbyn elected - labour opposed, vigourously - and the Lords stopped them in the tracks with a one-two blow from a cross-bench peer and Labour...

I don't see what you expect Corbyn to do except oppose - and so far - the things he has opposed have been overturned... and he's only been around a few weeks...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:41 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:^^^ all politics apart, isn't he one of the most slappable people you've ever seen !?
end the thread here ALERT!!!! Bobo and Bish in total political agreement (assuming Bobo means slappable!) :pissed:
indeed.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:10 pm

thebish wrote:well - before corbyn elected - labour MPs were instructed to abstain on austerity bill... after Corbyn elected - labour opposed, vigourously - and the Lords stopped them in the tracks with a one-two blow from a cross-bench peer and Labour...

I don't see what you expect Corbyn to do except oppose - and so far - the things he has opposed have been overturned... and he's only been around a few weeks...
I think a number of tory back benchers unhappy at the tax credit fiasco may have more to do with a U-turn than comrade/brother Corbyn

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:well - before corbyn elected - labour MPs were instructed to abstain on austerity bill... after Corbyn elected - labour opposed, vigourously - and the Lords stopped them in the tracks with a one-two blow from a cross-bench peer and Labour...

I think a number of tory back benchers unhappy at the tax credit fiasco may have more to do with a U-turn than comrade/brother Corbyn
hmmm... they could easily have overturned it before it got to the Lord's... they didn't.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:16 pm

The real driving force is Osborne trying to carve out his route to Tory leader. He needs to make himself electable.

Corbyn can oppose things that he believes in but I don't think the Tories are running scared of him or are overly influenced.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:26 pm

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

hmmm... they could easily have overturned it before it got to the Lord's... they didn't.
Erm, well, Jeremy Corbyn MP didn't have a lot to do with stopping it either, did he?

In fairness I don't think anyone can dar he had nothing to do with it, but the evidence of the last five years shows it's definite Tory policy to leak or even announce massive cuts and then back track and so look less bay and like they've listened.

We want to cut £2bn. Let's announce cuts off £4bn then pretend we're being very reasonable and meeting people half way by eventually only making £2bn cuts. Boom.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:44 pm

if you seriously think that the whole tax credit cuts programme was a leak to make the actuality seem better - then you've lost the plot! the tories were committed to it - they are only not doing it cos they were stopped from doing it - and they got a very timely OBR recalculation windfall so they could save face!

also - if you you don't think Corbyn was involved in house of Lords strategy meetings with labour peers and cross-bench peers - you've got a little hole in your understanding of how politicians get things done!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:30 pm

[quote="thebish"]if you seriously think that the whole tax credit cuts programme was a leak to make the actuality seem better - then you've lost the plot! the tories were committed to it - they are only not doing it cos they were stopped from doing it - and they got a very timely OBR recalculation windfall so they could save face!

also - if you you don't think Corbyn was involved in house of Lords strategy meetings with labour peers and cross-bench peers - you've got a little hole in your understanding of how politicians get things done![quote]

Mmmm clearly!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... n-minority" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:17 am

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:if you seriously think that the whole tax credit cuts programme was a leak to make the actuality seem better - then you've lost the plot! the tories were committed to it - they are only not doing it cos they were stopped from doing it - and they got a very timely OBR recalculation windfall so they could save face!

also - if you you don't think Corbyn was involved in house of Lords strategy meetings with labour peers and cross-bench peers - you've got a little hole in your understanding of how politicians get things done!

Mmmm clearly!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... n-minority" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

your linked article seems to be about corbyn and syria - not tax credits...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:01 am

thebish wrote:if you seriously think that the whole tax credit cuts programme was a leak to make the actuality seem better - then you've lost the plot! the tories were committed to it - they are only not doing it cos they were stopped from doing it - and they got a very timely OBR recalculation windfall so they could save face!

But you're overegging the pudding a little. It was a hugely unpopular policy that was in itself a contradiction of pre-election promises.

Osborne was primarily motivated (IMO) in his charge for leadership and branding himself on the left of the party. Labour opposing it obviously makes a difference. But it is a huge stretch to suggest merely doing so makes them the key driver or indeed effective opposition.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:25 am

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Mmmm clearly!

your linked article seems to be about corbyn and syria - not tax credits...
You said he knew what he was doing, this proves he clearly does not.