The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:48 pm
It's an absolutely horrendous suggestion and one that's making me think twice about backing them.. As well as a couple of other policies.

I'm on the fence this week
As I've mentioned elsewhere, Boris, there's every chance that my ballot paper's going back with a cock and bollocks drawn on it.

Indeed. Sad state of affairs, when the least shit is the option
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:07 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm
boltonboris wrote:
It's an absolutely horrendous suggestion and one that's making me think twice about backing them.. As well as a couple of other policies.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Boris, there's every chance that my ballot paper's going back with a cock and bollocks drawn on it.
Mine will be much bigger. :D
Mine will be strong and stable though. :D
Yeah, but do you manage a red/white and blue Brexit on a Friday night?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 pm

There isn't even a least shit option.

May is incompetent and unpleasant - may even go as far as nasty and with some dangerous right wing elements applying pressure.

Corbyn is incomptent and a dreamer with some fairly mental people pulling his strings in the background and an internal agenda.

Certainly don't think I would want either running the country.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 22, 2017 4:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 pm

May is incompetent and unpleasant - may even go as far as nasty and with some dangerous right wing elements applying pressure.

Corbyn is incomptent and a dreamer with some fairly mental people pulling his strings in the background and an internal agenda.

Pretty much where I am.

She now has us down as being stupid too. Have a look at this;

http://bbc.in/2rKdEcO

I envisage a record low turnout this time. There really is more to make me not vote than there is to earn my vote.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Mon May 22, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Pretty much where I am.

She now has us down as being stupid too. Have a look at this;

http://bbc.in/2rKdEcO
She's actually in danger of ending up with a middling majority here. One could not have believed that only a week or two ago.

But what a disaster if she ends up with say a majority of 30 or 40 and cannot put the right of her party back in its box.

I cannot believe how little substance she actually has. She actually in some ways makes Corbyn look almost palatable and as you know I'm no fan of his.

Oh for a Macron to emerge....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm

My postal ballot has arrived. Feels pointless as they always vote dotty nadine in with a massive majority. Expect I'll pointlessly vote for the Greens and make sure I remain an expat for at least another 5 years.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon May 22, 2017 4:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Oh for a Macron to emerge....
David Mellor in a Wanderers shirt?

:vomit:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon May 22, 2017 5:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:36 pm

She's actually in danger of ending up with a middling majority here. One could not have believed that only a week or two ago.

But what a disaster if she ends up with say a majority of 30 or 40 and cannot put the right of her party back in its box.

I cannot believe how little substance she actually has. She actually in some ways makes Corbyn look almost palatable and as you know I'm no fan of his.
To be honest I don't think we should be taken by surprise by May's apparent lack of competence.

This is the person who made Boris Johnson the FM, the person who kept Jeremy Hunt in a job, the person who claimed she was for Remain and now seems hell bent on extreme Brexit, the person who saddled us with that obscenely expensive nuclear power station and then said we needed to cap energy bills, the person who without out a shred of irony told Scotland that now is not the time to break ties with your major trading partner...

We have more than one alternative but I can't say I'm in the slightest impressed with any of them - and I've got one more to choose from.

We might all be best off closely scrutinising our local candidates rather than their manifestos. That way we might weed out of few of the charlatans. I don't want to consider not voting (assuming my neighbour hasn't nicked my vote and the council get off their arse and send the postal vote in time).

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Thinking twice? Didn't you mention you'd just taken out a fairly hefty mortgage? Work out how much you're going to pay over the term - take a punt on how much you think it will be worth in 35 years time....subtract 100k and hope you don't go fcking gaga.
Well I do go Gaga before my mortgage is paid in full, my insurance covers the rest, so the kids will be doolaly anyway!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 22, 2017 6:24 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Thinking twice? Didn't you mention you'd just taken out a fairly hefty mortgage? Work out how much you're going to pay over the term - take a punt on how much you think it will be worth in 35 years time....subtract 100k and hope you don't go fcking gaga.
Well I do go Gaga before my mortgage is paid in full, my insurance covers the rest, so the kids will be doolaly anyway!
That is until they work out they might not have to cough if they can somehow prove you're gaga.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Well I'm still backing JC and there's real momentum building now,he could yet squeak into no10 :D

Interesting policy idea by the Greens. Suggesting a 4 day week. 5 day week has been around for what, a 100 years or so? We're working longer hours but less productive in a more 24/7 economy. Could they be onto something?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Interesting policy idea by the Greens. Suggesting a 4 day week. 5 day week has been around for what, a 100 years or so? We're working longer hours but less productive in a more 24/7 economy. Could they be onto something?
Not sure that I agree with the above personally, I mean, it's all very well to bandy this stuff about but Corbyn's extra Bank Holidays are going to cost the country a small fortune alone. I'd be more impressed if they addressed more definite issues such as the effect of circadian rhythms on night workers from factory workers and nurses/coppers through to airline pilots.

That said, I've just watched an interview with Jonathan Bartley and found him to be highly credible. Found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said, too.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon May 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Not sure that I agree with the above personally, I mean, it's all very well to bandy this stuff about but Corbyn's extra Bank Holidays are going to cost the country a small fortune alone. I'd be more impressed if they addressed more definite issues such as the effect of circadian rhythms on night workers from factory workers and nurses/coppers through to airline pilots.

That said, I've just watched an interview with Jonathan Bartley and found him to be highly credible. Found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said, too.
Re: Four day week. I don't know the ins and outs of the policy but presumably based on longer working days Mon-Thurs so wouldn't necessarily have a negative economic impact.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Well I'm still backing JC and there's real momentum building now,he could yet squeak into no10 :D

There is more chance Bolton sign Messi and win the champions league in a few years than there is of that. May is making a right old mess of things, but she could come out on live TV, lower her skirt and take a massive dump on some innocent kittens and babies and still not lose this election outright.

The good news is that right now she might not walk the big majority quite as easily.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Kinky.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 pm

PS she'd probably be better off hitching the skirt up rather than lowering it on a practical level.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 22, 2017 8:37 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 pm
PS she'd probably be better off hitching the skirt up rather than lowering it on a practical level.
Clearly you are more expert in these matters than I. I make you first minister for public dumping!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:46 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Re: Four day week. I don't know the ins and outs of the policy but presumably based on longer working days Mon-Thurs so wouldn't necessarily have a negative economic impact.
Great, so we'd have to fit 10 days work into 4 instead of 5. And get more pissed off at missing more weekend. Yahoo.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

No expert, but if that did happen then I'd say that our productivity would be massively reduced by knackered workers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 9:56 pm
Beefheart wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

No expert, but if that did happen then I'd say that our productivity would be massively reduced by knackered workers.
Yep, though I think that 4 longer day pattern should be more of an option. It would reduce congestion on roads and public transport if implemented well.

Don't think you can force people into it. And it wouldn't work for every type of job.

But for many industries it would actually be very useful. For example you could run production lines longer and make efficiency savings. Whilst at the same time accommodating staff who want to reduce their childcare costs. And you get to work quicker as each day traffic volume is reduced.