The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by thebish » Fri May 15, 2015 8:48 am

LeverEnd wrote:I'm just glad you're not tossing each other off.
Even though I turned down Hoboh's generous offer - I'm sure it's not too late to ask him yourself...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 15, 2015 10:40 am

Can one of you answer this for me please? On the News this morning it was saying that Big Dave and Wee Jimmy are holding a meeting today, during which Wee Jimmy's going to issue a list of demands. How the feck does she get say what's what? Is the tail not attempting to wag the dog here?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 15, 2015 10:50 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Can one of you answer this for me please? On the News this morning it was saying that Big Dave and Wee Jimmy are holding a meeting today, during which Wee Jimmy's going to issue a list of demands. How the feck does she get say what's what? Is the tail not attempting to wag the dog here?

Think the tail may well be docked. I heard the SNP garnered less votes in the election than those who voted Yes in the devolution referendum.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 15, 2015 10:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Can one of you answer this for me please? On the News this morning it was saying that Big Dave and Wee Jimmy are holding a meeting today, during which Wee Jimmy's going to issue a list of demands. How the feck does she get say what's what? Is the tail not attempting to wag the dog here?

it's a fairly clear and quite clever strategy to generate a sense of grievance (whatever cameron offers will not be enough) to give the SNP ammunition in the forthcoming scottish assembly elections and then fuel for another referendum bid...

whatever folk might think of the SNP - they REALLY know how to play politics!

(she'd be fecked if Cameron gave her what she says she wants... she's banking on him falling short of her demands... question is - how clever is Big Dave? probability is she'll run rings round him.)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 15, 2015 12:06 pm

I don't get why he's taking the meeting though! If there was a possibility that they might vote with the Tories on some stuff in return it would make sense, as their majority isn't that big and would only take a back bench rebellion (in the Tories, never!) to make things tough. But the SNP is going to vote against them on principle at every turn!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri May 15, 2015 12:08 pm

And Umunna drops out of the leadership race, citing that he is "Uncomfortable" with the scrutiny involved. My guess is a rather juicy headline in this week's Sunday Sun. Lots of cheers heard from Tory HQ.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 15, 2015 12:11 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:And Umunna drops out of the leadership race, citing that he is "Uncomfortable" with the scrutiny involved. My guess is a rather juicy headline in this week's Sunday Sun. Lots of cheers heard from Tory HQ.
if the tories were seriously worried about Ummuna - then they are a bunch of panic-fannies!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Sounds like someone's got something on him, thank f*ck.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:And Umunna drops out of the leadership race, citing that he is "Uncomfortable" with the scrutiny involved. My guess is a rather juicy headline in this week's Sunday Sun. Lots of cheers heard from Tory HQ.
Dunno whether anyone has anything on him or not. It could be purely that there's nothing behind the marketing.....

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri May 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:I don't get why he's taking the meeting though! If there was a possibility that they might vote with the Tories on some stuff in return it would make sense, as their majority isn't that big and would only take a back bench rebellion (in the Tories, never!) to make things tough. But the SNP is going to vote against them on principle at every turn!
It's to do with the devolution promised during the referendum, rather than how the SNP will vote in parliament.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Ah, makes sense, ta.

Anyway, on the Labour leadership, here's my pick (and I get a say woo). Still think it could be too soon: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... leadership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:Ah, makes sense, ta.

Anyway, on the Labour leadership, here's my pick (and I get a say woo). Still think it could be too soon: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... leadership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
now that WOULD make it interesting - I'd definitely be up for that!! sod the girlies - Starmer in!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Re: Starmer -

If Labour are going to win the next election, it's the southern middle-class who want to vote for Labour's social policies but don't trust them on the economy they need to convince. Especially now they're going to struggle in Scotland, and there'll have been the constituency re-draws.

In order to do that the leader needs to not get put in the box Ed was from day one (though being called "Keir" might not help there!) That takes someone very forceful and very good, and he's at least one, and I'm pretty sure both, of those.

I've seen him talk live and he's very impressive, plus as DPP he spoke a lot about how the legal system should be focused on the victims in a way that the Daily Mail couldn't call wishy-washy wet liberal. That a) suggests he could pull off the "tough on crime" rhetoric that would keep folk going to UKIP up north but also showed political savvy from a guy who spent 20 years working with Geoffrey Robertson in Human Rights!

The more I read of Stella Creasy, say, the more I like her, but I'm not sure she's got the reach to attract more than the 35%. Much like Ed I think she'd be very popular with people who were going to vote Labour anyway, and not that popular with those who weren't.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat May 16, 2015 7:23 am

Chucked his hat in the ring,
Now chucked his dummy out.
Two potential Labour leaders now out of the running before the shows even started, should be fun :mrgreen:
Oh did I mention how many Labour MP's were in the pocket of Unite and it's dog of a leader?
Won't be many candidates make it through if they need the support of 35 to even get in the vote off.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 16, 2015 7:47 am

Hoboh wrote:Chucked his hat in the ring,
Now chucked his dummy out.
Two potential Labour leaders now out of the running before the shows even started, should be fun :mrgreen:
Oh did I mention how many Labour MP's were in the pocket of Unite and it's dog of a leader?
Won't be many candidates make it through if they need the support of 35 to even get in the vote off.
at least there will BE an election! Is Farage simply gonna be crowned - the unelected Brussels Bureaucrat? (how ironic!) :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 am

Och Aye Jock... That's a new slant on things....We'll all live in Scotlandshire... :shock:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/129 ... _Scotland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 18, 2015 10:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Och Aye Jock... That's a new slant on things....We'll all live in Scotlandshire... :shock:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/129 ... _Scotland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on the change.org?

Sounds like someone's having a hot flush! What a crock of shite!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 18, 2015 10:55 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Och Aye Jock... That's a new slant on things....We'll all live in Scotlandshire... :shock:

38,000 eh? No doubt a fair few of them multiple entries along the lines of 'thumbs up' to comments/posts etc.
I doubt the EPL football supporters of a few clubs would appreciate playing in the SPL :mrgreen:

Lefties in general are turning out to be really sore losers, almost as bad as the whinging, back biting, perpetually moaning Scots!
If you cannot win an election against a government that lies constantly through its teeth, has real under the surface problems on Europe with a large % of its party and MP's teetering on rebellion without joining up with a Nationalist party full of bigots who actually detest you, you deserve to be in opposition!
I doubt Jesus could get Labour elected in 2020, shame the Lib Dems allowed Mr Smarmy to sell them down the river, they could have done really well this time and next.
Labour is a rudderless boat heading for the rocks and at the rate it's going at will some just be a sole voice for the remaining few people who actually give a shit about the unions and that's not many!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Hoboh wrote:

38,000 eh? No doubt a fair few of them multiple entries along the lines of 'thumbs up' to comments/posts etc.
I doubt the EPL football supporters of a few clubs would appreciate playing in the SPL :mrgreen:

Lefties in general are turning out to be really sore losers, almost as bad as the whinging, back biting, perpetually moaning Scots!
If you cannot win an election against a government that lies constantly through its teeth, has real under the surface problems on Europe with a large % of its party and MP's teetering on rebellion without joining up with a Nationalist party full of bigots who actually detest you, you deserve to be in opposition!
I doubt Jesus could get Labour elected in 2020, shame the Lib Dems allowed Mr Smarmy to sell them down the river, they could have done really well this time and next.
Labour is a rudderless boat heading for the rocks and at the rate it's going at will some just be a sole voice for the remaining few people who actually give a shit about the unions and that's not many!
To be fair your previous polling predictions weren't that reliable :mrgreen:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 18, 2015 1:13 pm

Graeme Blake, named in that article, sits next to me at the Macron. Glaswegian, ex-BBC Tech/Producer. Good guy. Politics of a madman.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".