Watch your p's and q's

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:03 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Commie.

I passed on a topic that someone else had posted on another site . I expressed a view that racism needn't have come into it. Replies from the initial comment caused it to be picked up and blasted all over the News of The Word, a publication I believe you've spoken of in not too favourable a light in the past. I pasted the original article so that you, and anyone interested enough, could air your own views. Oh, and where exactly have I been dismissive of others views? Point it out if you will please.

My "view", if it's so obscure that you can't understand it, is that no one had previously mentioned racism related to the programme. Now, the original poster (who some are of the opinion may have been a plant) has conveniently disappeared after that one post,, damage done. Racism is being effectively hinted at in voting as if it is the major issue and nothing to do with personal favourites or impartial views based on dance skills. My view is that this is not the case. Based on what, you'll ask?
Based on six seasons of watching the programme and seeing people of mixed race do well enough based on their skills with no talk of racism whatsoever. Alesha Dixon Won, Mark Rampakesh won, Denise Lewis reached the final. Colin Jackson lost because of bad choreography.

I have also been a member of the website for quite a long time and the topic has never been raised previously in that time. Favouritism has caused havoc with truly bad dancers such as Kate Garraway and Christopher Parker progressing due to it whilst better dancers were voted out. Racism, never.

I am quite aware that racism exists in all walks of life. To call for BBC action on racist voting (what exactly they are supposed to do is as big a mystery as why it was hinted at with no proof whatsoever) smacks of stone-throwing from the back of the crowd by someone hell-bent on mischief.
Thus, for what it's worth, is my view. I have no intention of taking it further as I wanted to hear the views of others.
no not dismissing the idea that race could be part of the equation at all, no.

I'll repeat one of my original questions - did the same people vote this times as voted in other weeks or years? Unless it was exactly the same group you can't rule out race. To raise the question, is what a democracy and free speech is all about.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:14 pm

Futile question. Who am I, Melin, or Mystic Meg? Do I have access to the nation's phone records? Why keep hammering at questions that you'll argue with whatever answer come up anyway?

Democracy, free speech...or just plain trouble making? If John Sergeant goes, will it be agesism? If a man goes out instead of a woman, is that sexism? If a goodlooking woman/male who can dance goes through (a la Alesha Dixon and Mark Rampakesh) is that just sex-appeal? Or is it all just based on personal favourites and dance appeal; what the show's supposed to be about? I'd like to think the latter, if it's all the same to you.

Unlike the other rather human tendencies, racism is a dark and sinister issue based on hatred and fear. As far as I know there are no BNP or KKK members amongst the contestants or audience.

. Oh, and last but not least, do you have any reason or proof to think that racism is afoot in the show? If not, are you just arguing for arguing's sake?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:37 pm

again you've dismissed race as a possibility. As for evidence I've given more for the idea that it could be an issue than you have to adopt your dismissive position. Remind us again of the scores that week.

You see, unlike you , I have an open mind about the possibilities, I base my judgements on evidence, not guess work.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:45 pm

Commie you are insufferable; for goodness' sake let it drop. Tango needs the patience of a saint not to simply tell you to feck off.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:00 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Commie you are insufferable; for goodness' sake let it drop. Tango needs the patience of a saint not to simply tell you to feck off.
a saint? someone given a position of status on an arbitrary basis by a group equally as misguided? hmmm

someone suggested the voting could be based on race. I've suggested that it's apossibility given a number of pieces of evidence, yet he dimisses the premise entirely. Can you tell me where I'm wrong here?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:15 am

communistworkethic wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Commie you are insufferable; for goodness' sake let it drop. Tango needs the patience of a saint not to simply tell you to feck off.
a saint? someone given a position of status on an arbitrary basis by a group equally as misguided? hmmm
someone suggested the voting could be based on race. I've suggested that it's apossibility given a number of pieces of evidence, yet he dimisses the premise entirely. Can you tell me where I'm wrong here?
There you go Mummy. You see, Commie can't conduct any argument without suggesting everyone who disagree's with him is misguided and I, as usual, am wrong in the weight of his "evidence".
I've said as much as I'm prepared to say. None of it has obviously gone home. Waste of time and breath. Wish I hadn't bothered raising the topic. Perhaps Commie could take his evidence to the BBC. I'm sure they'd be delighted to hear about it. Me, I couldn't give one. I've almost got to the stage when posting anything is fast becoming a waste of time.

I bid you goodnight.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:44 am

How does the Monty Python 'Argument' sketch go again?

We'll see on Wednesday whether the ultimate test of people voting on racial grounds has worked or not.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:55 am

ratbert wrote:How does the Monty Python 'Argument' sketch go again?

We'll see on Wednesday whether the ultimate test of people voting on racial grounds has worked or not.
No we won't.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:00 pm

You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm

Yes it is.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."