Watch your p's and q's

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Watch your p's and q's

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm

One day last week somebody on the BBC Strictly Come Dancing website posted a speculative thread because she decided that their might be racism involved in the public voting. Nobody else had ever mentioned this before, but it created a lot of pages of controversy and argument. Somewhere, the News of the World got hold of it. This is what resulted from that one post ( the perpetrator was never heard from again). Just shows you should watch what you post on websites:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz ... e53144.ece
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:24 pm

But Alesha Dixon won. Not that I give a stuff about this drivel anyway mind.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:27 pm

fatshaft wrote:But Alesha Dixon won. Not that I give a stuff about this drivel anyway mind.
Aye it's nae like it's proper dancin' like the Gay Gordons or Dashing White Sergeant is it?
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:29 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:
fatshaft wrote:But Alesha Dixon won. Not that I give a stuff about this drivel anyway mind.
Aye it's nae like it's proper dancin' like the Gay Gordons or Dashing White Sergeant is it?
No, it's all bollocks (sorry Tango)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Don't think racism itself is the issue here Fatshaft. More the damage an idle comment can cause when it all get out of proportion. I watched this thread unfold and only a couple tried to make an issue out of it. Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis got to the final because they were good. Alesha, as you say, won it. Seems that becuse Heather Small had to dance-off to stay in and Don Warrington got voted out, mayhem results. Real issue for me is the misrepresentation of it all by the News of the World. Nothing new I know, but the damage could be endless.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:34 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Aye, I remembered, Kenny Logan didn't win.. :mrgreen:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
Not actualy my point.

I was reading (dentist waiting room copy) Richard & Judy’s column in the Mail as I had while flicking through the paper, caught a headline out of the corner of my eye.

Family telly on Saturday night is back it screamed. I must read more thinks I. What is the shoplifter on about, why it’s X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing. Apparently he ‘doesn’t know a single family that doesn’t get together on a Saturday now to watch one or other of these shows, it’s just like the days of Morecambe and Wise’.

Well no Richard, you sticky fingered devil, it isn’t. And unlike you, I don’t know a single family that does this, in fact in my case I leave the room entirely, I simply can’t stand either of these pieces of dross, and believe me I’ve tried to sit down with wife and/or daughter to watch (note deliberate lack of mention of son), but I would think 5 minutes would have been the extent of my longest penance.

This, with the exception of dancing diehards such as your good self, is women’s telly, and for me totally unwatchable. It’s hyped up like it’s the World Cup or something, but it’s puerile drivel, and it was good to see Tim Lovejoy on his Sunday show the other week, when the Scottish bird was warbling on about Strictly, he just gave her a blank look, to which she went something along the lines of, oh come on everyone watches it, to which our hero replies, nope, why would I it’s dancing. WP Tim.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:10 pm

I remember reading the article on Sunday thinking how empty it was, it had absolutely nothing concrete in it at all and yet got on the front page. Then there was John Regis who said he'd never go on the show. Sorry to break it to you John, but you'd never even get asked

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
Clearly, anglocentric and racist.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:03 pm

fatshaft wrote:Not actualy my point.

I was reading (dentist waiting room copy) Richard & Judy’s column in the Mail as I had while flicking through the paper, caught a headline out of the corner of my eye.

Family telly on Saturday night is back it screamed. I must read more thinks I. What is the shoplifter on about, why it’s X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing. Apparently he ‘doesn’t know a single family that doesn’t get together on a Saturday now to watch one or other of these shows, it’s just like the days of Morecambe and Wise’.

Well no Richard, you sticky fingered devil, it isn’t. And unlike you, I don’t know a single family that does this, in fact in my case I leave the room entirely, I simply can’t stand either of these pieces of dross, and believe me I’ve tried to sit down with wife and/or daughter to watch (note deliberate lack of mention of son), but I would think 5 minutes would have been the extent of my longest penance.

This, with the exception of dancing diehards such as your good self, is women’s telly, and for me totally unwatchable. It’s hyped up like it’s the World Cup or something, but it’s puerile drivel, and it was good to see Tim Lovejoy on his Sunday show the other week, when the Scottish bird was warbling on about Strictly, he just gave her a blank look, to which she went something along the lines of, oh come on everyone watches it, to which our hero replies, nope, why would I it’s dancing. WP Tim.

I agree with everything you have said Fatshaft. I can't stand either programme. Saturday night is complete drivel.

With exception to the "I was reading Richard & Judy’s column in the Mail". Hang your head in shame on two accounts.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:21 pm

malcd1 wrote:
I agree with everything you have said Fatshaft. I can't stand either programme. Saturday night is complete drivel.

With exception to the "I was reading Richard & Judy’s column in the Mail". Hang your head in shame on two accounts.
Got to repeat - dentists waiting room. It was that or sheafs of 'Hello', 'Goodbye' & 'Womans Drone'

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Don't think racism itself is the issue here Fatshaft. More the damage an idle comment can cause when it all get out of proportion. I watched this thread unfold and only a couple tried to make an issue out of it. Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis got to the final because they were good. Alesha, as you say, won it. Seems that becuse Heather Small had to dance-off to stay in and Don Warrington got voted out, mayhem results. Real issue for me is the misrepresentation of it all by the News of the World. Nothing new I know, but the damage could be endless.
tell us tango, were their performances worse than say er John Sergent, Andrew Castle or Mark Foster? Or did it come down to a popularity contest by way of a phone line where the reason for a caller's choice can be anything? And can you tell us if the people who voted that week were exactly the same ones who have voted in the past or not?

I'd just like to have all the facts at my disposal before I make any judgement.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:48 pm

malcd1 wrote: I agree with everything you have said Fatshaft. I can't stand either programme. Saturday night is complete drivel.

Excellent cerebral preparation I'd say, Malc. 'Is there anything that might ease the utterly horrific suffering brought about by my imminent root canal surgery? Oh, sent from the heavens, Richard and Judy's column in the Daily-Torchlighter. Bring it on drill-wielder'. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:29 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
tell us tango, were their performances worse than say er John Sergent, Andrew Castle or Mark Foster? Or did it come down to a popularity contest by way of a phone line where the reason for a caller's choice can be anything? And can you tell us if the people who voted that week were exactly the same ones who have voted in the past or not?

I'd just like to have all the facts at my disposal before I make any judgement.
Don't direct your comments at me, Commie, make them at the article. Make a judgement on the topic as you will but don't do it on my behalf. I expressed no views on performances as my views don't matter on who should do what. I watch but I certainly don't vote. It's long been established the show is an entertainment show and not a dance contest at all, at least until the finals. For what it's worth; John Sergeant wouldn't get a place on Maypole dancing, Mark Foster must be related to Pinochio and Andrew Castle got his act together just in time to escape the chop. Foster is out and John Sergeant will live on despite his dance appearing as if he was dragging his partner through two foot of snow. . That's public gullibility and favouritism, not racism. My own issue has long been with the voting so now I just enjoy the dancing and don't bother. It usually evens out right at the end.

The reason I started the thread was to show the perils and consequences of careless comment. You can always join the BBC website and read the whole thing, even comment on there if you wish.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:05 pm

as a viewer of said show TD, I was under the impression that you'd be able to enlighten me as to the scoring at the very least, as I believe that's how the show works - jugdes' score plus phone votes. And you appear to have read the thread too, so I wondered if you'd spotted any evidence about who voted and why. It's a simple request for information. I never suggested you had proffered an opinion, I just wanted to get all the facts before I dismissed anything lightly. I mean until then it would be wrong to rule out any suggestion as to the voters' reasons, wouldn't it?

If 3 white people, who were patently worse than 2 black people, didn't end up in the bottom 2 by way of an anonimous vote but the 2 black people did, race being a factor in that result must surely be one of the possibilities mustn't it?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:18 pm

The voting, as I understand ut, is done by half from the judges and the other half from the public. As I said, I don't vote because the idea of voting on dance skills is a misnomer. It's a popularity contest and several non-caucasian entrants have done very well. Alesha Dixon won it last year, Denise Lewis went a long way and Colin Jackson lost it because he and his partner tried dancing with dummies in the final and blew it. I read the threads and one woman boasted she'd spent £15 voting for "Sexy Brian". That's why I don't vote. The voting public seem to range from schoolgirls to pensioners of both sexes and everyone in between (women definitely in the majority). That's it as I see it.

Here's a quote ( cut and pasted from the site) that may shed a little light on the black view on it all when a poster complained Heather Small was a victim:

" OH please Heather is awful she just cant dance full stop - equally Don is ummmm to put it nicely not very good, whats colour got to do with it? I am black and had high hopes of Heather at the start of this series, but she really hasnt delivered she aint no Alisha thats for sure!"

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:27 pm

.........well that takes us right back to here. :mrgreen:

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:18 pm

This is about the only type of "reality" show that is far from drivel and as for racism...what a load of tosh, some people may stay in because of their popularity NOT because of the colour of their skin.....Don's hardly got a huge fan base and Heather Small in general has been crap.

Only pee'd off cos Lillia and Fabia have gone :)

Usually I would hate this type of thing but this one is worth watching, for the humour, the skills shown and the way you see people improve and I am far from being any sort of dancer.

Only problem is the dreadful Tess Daly!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:52 pm

communistworkethic wrote:If 3 white people, who were patently worse than 2 black people, didn't end up in the bottom 2 by way of an anonimous vote but the 2 black people did, race being a factor in that result must surely be one of the possibilities mustn't it?
Possibility ... yes, but only one of a vast range of possibilities.

Voting relates to a range of prejudgements, fair and unfair.

Watch the Irish vote for their own in X-Factor, or the Scots ... even regions such as the Geordies. This is even seen as positive. Watch gays for their own, the EuroVision bllx had national & cultural blocks.

It's far, far too easy to pull the race card every time anything happens which someone doesn't like.

Don Warrington danced like he acts ... as wooden as a very wooden thng indeed. Heather Small is pretty crap also. John Sargeant is kept in coz he's funny, likeable & a bit crackers.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:23 pm

Also possible that the two white people are in the current eye more? I had forgotton who Don Warrinton was until they reminded me...even then I had to scroll back to see his surname.

I really don't think race or colour comes into it (do you really think racists are really going to be that bothered or even organise a mass vote for non blacks etc) its down to skill, personality and popularity......or in Jon Sergeants case amusement :)

Sometimes people are too busy looking for hidden meanings etc they miss what is right in front of them and bloody obvious.

I don't care who wins, colour, race etc etc......as long as its not Austin "l love myself" Healey :)