Russel Brand

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 pm

"My Grandaughter is not a member of Gothic Erotic dance group Satanic Sluts. Being her Grandfather, I know this. You must have the wrong number.".

Can I just say this whole story, IMO has been blown out of proportion. I listened to the show at the time and found it hilarious.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Wussell Who?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:17 am

Daxter wrote: Can I just say this whole story, IMO has been blown out of proportion. I listened to the show at the time and found it hilarious.
that's because you're 12
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Daxter wrote: Can I just say this whole story, IMO has been blown out of proportion. I listened to the show at the time and found it hilarious.
that's because you're 12
Ah, no no. What was I thnking? That right there is comedy gold. And so cutting. :cry:

...But of course, anyone can see how it could have caused offence, but it wasn't as bad as everyone(namely the Daily Mail) has been making out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Daxter wrote:
that's because you're 12
Ah, no no. What was I thnking? That right there is comedy gold. And so cutting. :cry:

...But of course, anyone can see how it could have caused offence, but it wasn't as bad as everyone(namely the Daily Mail) has been making out.
Russel Brand is a talentless one trick pony. How anyone can find him entertaining really is beyond me. He is not only poor entertainment but also in extremely bad taste.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Daxter wrote:
that's because you're 12

What show is this you're talking about?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Daxter wrote:
that's because you're 12

Russel Brand is a talentless one trick pony. How anyone can find him entertaining really is beyond me. He is not only poor entertainment but also in extremely bad taste.
We really ought to stop agreeing like this BWFCI, its bad for my rep. "I shagged your grandaughter"? Cutting edge :roll:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Daxter wrote:
that's because you're 12

What show is this you're talking about?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U7IHJ66wj9g

Russell Brand's Radio show- really Ross is more at fault.

BWFCI- different tastes an all that, but I don't get the 'talentless one trick pony bit'? Hadn't you based your view on him by way of his use of words like "for seuth"? - and we then established he'd never used the word? I'm a fan of the guy, and the radio show is normally hilarious. Overstepped the mark a bit on this occassion, but it's not as bad as has been made out IMO.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:09 pm

The mon said something bad
He apologises.
Life goes on.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:10 pm

I quite like Brand - I've tried to see him live a couple of times but he has cried off each time.

On the hand I find Ross the unfunniest man on TV - despite him seeming to try so hard to be funny. He is perhaps to being funny what Gary Megson is to football management.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Pair of ***ts

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:35 pm

the reality is though that he didn't apologise.

the so-caled apology was a greater insult than the misjudged original attempt at humour. to apologise requires a degree of sincerity which the moron simply hasn't got.

Ross is s clever man but really should stick to film reviews, at which he's very good. His "humour" is usually crass & his "interviews" generally are opportunities for him to focus pn his favorite topic ... himself.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:41 pm

Verbal wrote:The mon said something bad
He apologises.
Life goes on.
Isn't the point that, while their lives go on, the people Brand and Ross insulted, quite gratuitously, without any cause, any reason, have had THEIR lives affected, simply at the whim of these two ego maniacs.

Like, someone spits on me at a bus stop, then my daughter, then my grandchild, then says, i'm sorry, i meant it as a laugh, my life goes on. Sometimes that isn't the point.

Life goes on until you die, for all of us, and shouldn't be made gratuitously worse, because it's the quality or our lives that's at stake not its length...

Is that hard to understand?

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:54 pm

William the White wrote:
He apologises.
Life goes on.
Isn't the point that, while their lives go on, the people Brand and Ross insulted, quite gratuitously, without any cause, any reason, have had THEIR lives affected, simply at the whim of these two ego maniacs.

Like, someone spits on me at a bus stop, then my daughter, then my grandchild, then says, i'm sorry, i meant it as a laugh, my life goes on. Sometimes that isn't the point.

Life goes on until you die, for all of us, and shouldn't be made gratuitously worse, because it's the quality or our lives that's at stake not its length...

I'm not quite sure that's the right comparison WTW. It was a joke done in poor taste, not a malicious attack. Why Sachs agent even allowed him to be booked on the show is beyond me, given that the fact Brand and his granddaughter had slept together had already been mentioned on previous shows.

Fact is that the girl in question, will actually benefit greatly from the publicity given the nature of her work.

Not that that makes it right, of course.

What makes me laugh is, that when the Daily Mail picked the story up(a week after it having been broadcasted) there had been two complaints registered. Now, we have a grand total of 10, 000 the majority of who, I doubt have listened to show. The BBC won't sack them though, as they are guaranteed ratings. If they did give them the boot, channel 4 would snap Ross up, and Brand's career hardly depends on his radio work.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:01 pm

I thought it was quite funny and they didn't say anything all that offensive. I've heard comedians say far worse things than 'He's fecked your granddaughter'.

Sachs' granddaughter is a burlesque dancer with a group called the 'Satanic Sluts' and is apparently planning on selling her story. So i'm sure she's coping aswell.

They probably did cross a line, but the idea that this is a matter for Gordon Brown and David Cameron to discuss is absurd. People need to get some real problems.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:02 pm

William the White wrote:
He apologises.
Life goes on.

As far as I'm aware Ross has already given a written, unreserved apology to Sachs. I cannot say for Brand, but I imagine his radio show on saturday will be quite grovelling. I would be amazed if he didn't write to Sachs either.

However, I'm equally amazed this has become so high profile - other BBC shows like Mock the Week say equally offensive stuff. Simon Amstell, the host of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, infuriated a guest so much by insulting his wife, he left the stage. As I say, I don't understand how this has become the hot topic of conversation, requiring comment from the PM for crying out loud, when the BBC has been broadcasting similar stuff for ages. Did Ofcom investigate these shows?

It is abusive yes, and if Mr and Miss Sachs want an apology they are very much entitled to one. My main gripe is why it is at the top of the news agenda when a) there is more important stuff going on in the world, and b) requires a private apology. If I was to say anything from this, it is that Brand and Ross will be 'carrying the can' for sometime to come. It will not be forgotten in a hurry.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Verbal wrote:Simon Amstell, the host of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, infuriated a guest so much by insulting his wife, he left the stage.
Well... all he did was read her, admittedly absurd, autobiography.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:10 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Verbal wrote:Simon Amstell, the host of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, infuriated a guest so much by insulting his wife, he left the stage.
Well... all he did was read her, admittedly absurd, autobiography.
You've read it then mummy? :D

Either way, still shows a lack of respec'

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Daxter wrote:
William the White wrote:
He apologises.
Life goes on.

I'm not quite sure that's the right comparison WTW. It was a joke done in poor taste, not a malicious attack. Why Sachs agent even allowed him to be booked on the show is beyond me, given that the fact Brand and his granddaughter had slept together had already been mentioned on previous shows.

Fact is that the girl in question, will actually benefit greatly from the publicity given the nature of her work.

What makes me laugh is, that when the Daily Mail picked the story up(a week after it having been broadcasted) there had been two complaints registered. Now, we have a grand total of 10, 000 the majority of who, I doubt have listened to show. The BBC won't sack them though, as they are guaranteed ratings. If they did give them the boot, channel 4 would snap Ross up, and Brand's career hardly depends on his radio work.
And this makes you laugh? Really?

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:19 pm

William the White wrote:
Daxter wrote:
William the White wrote:
He apologises.
Life goes on.

And this makes you laugh? Really?
:conf: That little tidbit doesn't William, though I didn't suggest it did?