Jeremy Clarkson, truckers and prostitutes

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Jeremy Clarkson, truckers and prostitutes

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:43 am

The BBC has been plunged into fresh controversy after Jeremy Clarkson joked about murdering prostitutes on Top Gear.

In a rant broadcast last night, the outspoken presenter mocked lorry drivers by claiming they only care about fuel prices and killing prostitutes.
As he completed a 'task' driving a lorry, he said: "This is a hard job and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers, it's a hard job.
"Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

The comments are believed to be a reference to Suffolk Strangler Steven Wright, a former trucker who murdered five prostitutes in Ipswich in 2006.
Clarkson's outburst follows the storm over the BBC's decision to air an obscene phone call by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross on Radio 2.
Yesterday truckers' groups and charities demanded an apology and said the BBC's decision to broadcast the comments "beggared belief".
The United Road Transport Union said they had been inundated with complaints from its 17,000 truck driver members.

Spokesman James Bower said: "We received dozens of phone calls from many members to say how disgusted they were about the comments.
"We would absolutely condemn what he said about murdering prostitutes. It beggars belief that those words can be broadcast on TV.
"The BBC is an institution that is paid for by the licence fee and they should not be allowing this kind of sick joke."

A spokeswoman from English Collective of Prostitutes said: "This is a truly heartless comment.
"In the wake of the murders of five young women in Ipswich and the killing of over 60 prostitute women in the last 10 years, how did this remark, making light of the murder of prostitute women, come to be broadcast?
"Mr Clarkson should apologise immediately to prostitute women and our families especially those of us bereaved by murder."

The controversial remarks came during the first episode of the news series of Top Gear - aired on BBC 2 on Sunday evening.
Clarkson's comments are also thought to make reference to former truck driver Peter Sutcliffe who murdered 13 women - many of them prostitutes - between 1975 and 1980.
Shockingly, the comments were broadcast beofore the 9pm watershed.
The scandal comes at a disastrous time for the BBC as the 'Sachsgate' affair is beginning to die down.
A spokesman for broadcast regulator OFCOM said: "We did receive complaints regarding last night's Top Gear programme.
"All the complaints will be assessed against OFCOMs broadcasting code, which sets standards for the content of TV and radio broadcasts."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona.
"This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."
Businesswoman of the year.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:10 am

English Collective of Prostitutes??? Get away.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:16 am

Oh look. A shitstorm being kicked up over near the knuckle jokes by a newspaper in the same group as.....ooh, the Daily Mail. Who have recently had to pay out for saying Marco Materazzi called Zidane "the son of a terrorist whore". People in glass houses, and all that....
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 am

I'm all in favour of Jeremy Clarkson being banned. Just for being an obnoxious fool.

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:38 am

I think Clarksons new nickname should be "Marmite"

Personally I like him.
Yes he can be a bumbling idiot, but if you read his books you might just find yourself in total agreement with a lot of the opinions he has.
At the end of the day he is there to try and entertain, and as his new nickname would suggest, some he does, some he dont.
Last edited by davroduk on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 am

Anyone who upsets truck drivers is fine by me. Bastards, the lot of them.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:46 am

Jesus, what a load of pish.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:22 pm

More than a load of pish :)

I heard it and didn't even know what he meant.

After driving Sat for 5 hours in driving (no pun intended) rain and witnessing a load of drivers ignoring the conditions and doing what they like (most of them foreign) he can bloody well say what he likes about them

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Jeremy Clarkson, truckers and prostitutes

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 pm

CrazyHorse wrote: The comments are believed to be a reference to Suffolk Strangler Steven Wright, a former trucker who murdered five prostitutes in Ipswich in 2006.
That bloke that worked at Tesco? Not Peter Sutcliffe then? Who writes this shit? Furthermore, who buys it?
May the bridges I burn light your way

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote: The comments are believed to be a reference to Suffolk Strangler Steven Wright, a former trucker who murdered five prostitutes in Ipswich in 2006.
That bloke that worked at Tesco? Not Peter Sutcliffe then? Who writes this shit? Furthermore, who buys it?
Okay so that's two mass murdering truckers who targeted Prostitutes, and the RHA are up in arms about being labelled Prostitute Killers.

It's the people of Hartlepool I feel sorry for................

they only hung ONE monkey! :shock:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:53 pm

It's funny BUT in my eyes its a lot worse than the other two recently lambasted comedians did.

I expect mass hysteria and his resignation by friday.

An interesting quandry for the Mail though, Clarkson has outraged the public (no doubt) yet his on-screen persona appears at hateful as the Mail is, so will they go for the throat or not!
Last edited by FD on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:56 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Okay so that's two mass murdering truckers who targeted Prostitutes, and the RHA are up in arms about being labelled Prostitute Killers.

It's the people of Hartlepool I feel sorry for................

they only hung ONE monkey! :shock:
Dont forget the national association of whores. Theyre upset too.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Hasn't he just stolen it from that esteemed theoretical journal, Viz?

They had a character called Larry Driver, or some such, who spent all his time murdering hitch-hikers and wrapping them in rolled up carpets.

But then I wouldn't want to accuse Clarkson of being unoriginal. Heaven forfend.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 pm

warthog wrote:Anyone who upsets truck drivers is fine by me. Bastards, the lot of them.
Pass on the details of your car and I'll make sure my lads give you a nice greeting :wink:
All friendly like!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:34 pm

FD wrote:It's funny BUT in my eyes its a lot worse than the other two recently lambasted comedians did.

!
You're fishing surely?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:46 pm

The BBC have brought this on themselves, they gave in to a rediculous witch hunt, and so now complaints are flying in all over the place.
The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona
Do Russell Brands listeners not have clear expectactions of his long established and frequently provocative on air persona? Being as none of them complained, i'd say so.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:55 pm

Tombwfc wrote:The BBC have brought this on themselves, they gave in to a rediculous witch hunt, and so now complaints are flying in all over the place.
Agree with that. A public apology to Sachs was all that was necessary. No sackings, suspensions or resignations called for.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a publicity stunt by Ross to publicise his autobiography, titled 'Why Do I Say These Things?' From his point of view it seems to have backfired.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:34 pm

fatshaft wrote:
FD wrote:It's funny BUT in my eyes its a lot worse than the other two recently lambasted comedians did.

!
You're fishing surely?
Nope.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:09 pm

An interesting quandry for the Mail though, Clarkson has outraged the public (no doubt) yet he's as racist as the Mail is, so will they go for the throat or not!
want to justify that before he sues you?

How is it a lot worse? He made a general comment about a group of people that was clearly a piece of satire, from someone who does this week in week out. He didn't ring an oldman on air and swear at him and abuse his graddaughter to him, then ignore his tacit refusal to allow the piece to be aired.

BTW did you see Top Gear or did you just read Crazy's post and decide to react to that?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:32 pm

communistworkethic wrote:

An interesting quandry for the Mail though, Clarkson has outraged the public (no doubt) yet he's as racist as the Mail is, so will they go for the throat or not!
want to justify that before he sues you?

How is it a lot worse? He made a general comment about a group of people that was clearly a piece of satire, from someone who does this week in week out. He didn't ring an oldman on air and swear at him and abuse his graddaughter to him, then ignore his tacit refusal to allow the piece to be aired.

BTW did you see Top Gear or did you just read Crazy's post and decide to react to that?
Agreed. You have some way out of whack values FD.