Heavy snowfall

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Heavy snowfall

Post by Verbal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:14 am

unless you're Monty, in which case the current downpour effecting London (and, on assumption, other areas) is more like a light coating.

Stumbled into work 90 minutes late, ony two other people out of ten have bothered turning up. Today will be most unproductive.

A special mention to the Victoria line, which managed to be the only london underground service uneffected by the snow. And it's started again now! Crazy times.
Last edited by Verbal on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:23 am

It's wonderful. I can't remember seeing so much snow. We have a foot-tall wall seperating patio and lawn in our back garden, and it's completely obscured by snow. Been watching a snowball riot going on with the kids whose schools are shut, using the snow on everyone's cars. Of around 100 cars parked on our street, only about 5 seemed to have ventured out. One of the Kebabette's colleagues lives around 3 miles from her office, and it took her an hour to get in. She's one of four in the office.

Same forecast for tonight.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:27 am

Meh. I'm in Carrington in Manchester and we've only got a light dusting. In fact the sun is out trying it's best to melt it.
Businesswoman of the year.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:28 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:It's wonderful. I can't remember seeing so much snow. We have a foot-tall wall seperating patio and lawn in our back garden, and it's completely obscured by snow. Been watching a snowball riot going on with the kids whose schools are shut, using the snow on everyone's cars. Of around 100 cars parked on our street, only about 5 seemed to have ventured out. One of the Kebabette's colleagues lives around 3 miles from her office, and it took her an hour to get in. She's one of four in the office.

Same forecast for tonight.
Aw :) we have a (very crude) balcony which overlooks West Cromwell Road/Earls Court area, and within an hour there was a blanket of the stuff. Woke up this morning and it was just unbelievable, like you say, never seen so much snow. Walking to the tube station took about 30 minutes cos of the icy pavements...it's less than a mile away. At least three people stacked it en route.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Heavy snowfall

Post by Puskas » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:36 am

Verbal wrote:unless your Monty, in which case the current downpour effecting London (and, on assumption, other areas) is more like a light coating.

Stumbled into work 90 minutes late, ony two other people out of ten have bothered turning up. Today will be most unproductive.

A special mention to the Victoria line, which managed to be the only london underground service uneffected by the snow. And it's started again now! Crazy times.
This disturbs me.

An underground railway is meant to be, you know, underground.

Snowfall should have less impact on it than say an overground railway, owing to its sheltered, underground nature.

Took me nearly an hour to do what is normally a 30minute journey. Underground. And that's without the 20minute wait for the train (which, given they're normally about every 2 minutes, is a tad long).

Oddly, of the people who've made it in, most seem to be east europeans or aussies.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:37 am

College shut for the day. Get in!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am

Puskas wrote:
Verbal wrote:unless your Monty, in which case the current downpour effecting London (and, on assumption, other areas) is more like a light coating.

This disturbs me.

An underground railway is meant to be, you know, underground.

Snowfall should have less impact on it than say an overground railway, owing to its sheltered, underground nature.

Took me nearly an hour to do what is normally a 30minute journey. Underground. And that's without the 20minute wait for the train (which, given they're normally about every 2 minutes, is a tad long).

Oddly, of the people who've made it in, most seem to be east europeans or aussies.
The Victoria line is the only one that is completely underground IIRC. Waterloo & City is too, but it is very open and liable to freezing. T'others have quite a few stations in the open air. This resulted in unable to get the tube from my usual stop and having to walk to Earl's Court station which is about a mile away. I say 'walk', it was more an amble, trying not to fall over. Took me 30 minutes.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:02 pm

Verbal wrote: The Victoria line is the only one that is completely underground IIRC. Waterloo & City is too, but it is very open and liable to freezing. T'others have quite a few stations in the open air. This resulted in unable to get the tube from my usual stop and having to walk to Earl's Court station which is about a mile away. I say 'walk', it was more an amble, trying not to fall over. Took me 30 minutes.
Yeah, but....

I go on the Northern Line. I know this is in the open in the Extreme North (Scotland or Finchley or somewhere), but is covered elsewhere.
So why is it not working fine elsewhere? Eh?

Pah. And pah again.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:28 pm

Oversensationised bullshine, extreme weather my arse.....its bad snow thats all, god news really has to be hyped up these days (Sky are the worlds worst at this, its bad enough with Grey growling and having fake orgasms at crap football matches, trying to make them seem exciting!)

Funniest thing I heard on the radio (so others are as bad as Sky) was someone going on about 6" snow drifts!!! Thats not a drift!

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Puskas wrote:
Verbal wrote: The Victoria line is the only one that is completely underground IIRC. Waterloo & City is too, but it is very open and liable to freezing. T'others have quite a few stations in the open air. This resulted in unable to get the tube from my usual stop and having to walk to Earl's Court station which is about a mile away. I say 'walk', it was more an amble, trying not to fall over. Took me 30 minutes.
Yeah, but....

I go on the Northern Line. I know this is in the open in the Extreme North (Scotland or Finchley or somewhere), but is covered elsewhere.
So why is it not working fine elsewhere? Eh?
Pah. And pah again.
'Cos where it's in the open it's been snowing?

They can't keep the lines free, and the overhead cables get weighed down, making them dangerous. Also, people can't get to work to drive the trains. Just a guess.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:47 pm

Raven wrote:Oversensationised bullshine, extreme weather my arse.....its bad snow thats all, god news really has to be hyped up these days (Sky are the worlds worst at this, its bad enough with Grey growling and having fake orgasms at crap football matches, trying to make them seem exciting!)

Funniest thing I heard on the radio (so others are as bad as Sky) was someone going on about 6" snow drifts!!! Thats not a drift!
They love a bit of Earthly chaos

LIVE AT THE FIRE

LIVE NEAR A SNOWY MOTORWAY

LIVE AT THE RIVER WHICH IS A BIT HIGHER THAN USUAL

SuperWhiteWarrior
Promising
Promising

Post by SuperWhiteWarrior » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 pm

I've heard its going to be the same tomorrow.
Where The One And Only Wanderers

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Lovely weather.

Built a snowman and snowcat with the little Barnettas;
Got Mrs Barnet to film me playing the guitar in our untouched white wonderland of a garden for future Howl Griff video use;
Walked 10 minutes into work (past, I noticed, a closed Starbuck's and an open local coffee-house).

Not many people in, and the bosses are trying to get us to go home so they can turn the heating off. They're also sending out emails on what to do if you can't access emails at home. Hmm.

As I type – taking a brief break from professional deadline-day-chasing – I can see flakes fluttering gently down into the Thames, past trees attractively laden with snow. It looks like a (strangely monochrome) Bob Ross painting. And there's nowt wrong wi' that.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:43 pm

From your lofty perch DSB, can you tell if the Thames is anything close to freezing over? Despite being literally a stone's throw away form the thing I cannot see it!

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Pretty southern here, near Bournemouth and yeah, quite a good downfall...absolute chaos (we soft southern ponces don't like it up us) and already heard of 3 accidents in our sleepy town/village.

Been snowing on and off all day, apparently gonna be heavy again this evening.

The kids love it though!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:53 pm

I'm in Manchester with plenty of swirling snowflakes but no real sign of heavy stuff (althought the sky's a lot blacker now than it was this morning). Wife tells me it much worse at home (Bolton). Just hope eighteen snowflakes on the line isn't enough to cause train delays going home. Usually is. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:55 pm

I feel a bit giddy inside, I haven't seen snow like this in ages! I went to the roof earlier and it's easily a foot deep, awesome :)

In other news...apparently Boris Johnson has relinquished the congestion charge for today to combat the public transport disruption. Because that is what you need on icy roads, more cars. :crazy: f*cking plank.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:42 pm

It's melting here in the Wild West Midlands already, but the forecast is for more at hometime. People are leaving work already in anticipation of local train chaos.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:51 pm

Verbal wrote:In other news...apparently Boris Johnson has relinquished the congestion charge for today to combat the public transport disruption. Because that is what you need on icy roads, more cars. :crazy: f*cking plank.
First thing he did upon election was overturn the congestion extension. Second thing was to halt any possible crackdown on 4x4s. Third thing was banning alcohol on public transport. Cock.

Thames ain't freezing up this end, dude, but then I'm at the upper tidal limit so there's a weir here to keep things interesting.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Verbal wrote:In other news...apparently Boris Johnson has relinquished the congestion charge for today to combat the public transport disruption. Because that is what you need on icy roads, more cars. :crazy: f*cking plank.
First thing he did upon election was overturn the congestion extension. Second thing was to halt any possible crackdown on 4x4s. Third thing was banning alcohol on public transport. Cock.
So in other words, good stuff all round? What's the cock for?