The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:Had anybody else posted that, you wouldn't have responded
To be fair, Boris, I was just about to pick Tango up on that myself. I know a couple of local councillors, one, a recent Labour mayor who I know particularly well, and I'd be backing their judgement as to what's going on at street level over Tango's everytime.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:33 pm

ditto

but what do you think about the actual issue, boris?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:35 pm

thebish wrote:
ditto

I think it's ridiculous and very out of touch, as Tango alluded to
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:
thebish wrote:
ditto

do you think that Council officials rarely know much about life at street level?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:39 pm

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
thebish wrote:
ditto

do you think that Council officials rarely know much about life at street level?
In my very limited experience of them, yes.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:40 pm

how limited is that?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:52 pm

"very"

It's written above

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 pm

boltonboris wrote:"very"

It's written above

fair enough - but then it's difficult to assert that something is rare in a group of people you have VERY little experience of...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Which is why I didn't feel the need to quantify it

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Not to interrupt these knowledgeable opinions, but wasn't it one of these "street-wise" council ensembles that caused the post in the first place by their rather crass action? It was reading that that caused my (hardly world-shattering) comment. in the first place.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Not to interrupt these knowledgeable opinions, but wasn't it one of these "street-wise" council ensembles that caused the post in the first place by their rather crass action? It was reading that that caused my (hardly world-shattering) comment. in the first place.
Councils will make decisions for all sorts of reasons. But I still don't think it is even close to being true that "Council officials rarely know much about life at street level."

I have a different opinion to you - you stated your opinion - I stated mine.

My experience of local councillors is that they have a very street-level knowledge of the communities they work in - they have to. they know about bins and cracked paving stones and dog-poo problems and how much it costs to replace dropped kerbstones and fill potholes and have to make priorities about all the day-to-day stuff that affects your life and mine far more directly than their more famous counterparts in Westminster...

your experience is clearly different.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Not to interrupt these knowledgeable opinions, but wasn't it one of these "street-wise" council ensembles that caused the post in the first place by their rather crass action? It was reading that that caused my (hardly world-shattering) comment. in the first place.
Quick question, Tango. Well three actually, and to everyone.

If that had been painted by some local kid would there be the same kerfuffle?

Likewise, if Banksy turned up and simply sprayed 'Banksy woz ere' or some other piece of common graffiti, again, would there be the same kerfuffle?

Ultimately - who gets to play imperial arbiter here over what's acceptable and what isn't?
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:53 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:I know this thread is called The Great Art Debate, but the following is not put forward for debate. These people are morons. End of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29446232
Is graffiti allowed if the perpetrator might be famous? Sounds like they were quite diligent to me.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:16 pm

One man's art is another man's piece of racist graffiti. It seems too many people are too sensitive ... and too stupid ... to look at anything whatsoever which a reactionary eejit decides doesn't suit their personal agenda.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:One man's art is another man's piece of racist graffiti. It seems too many people are too sensitive ... and too stupid ... to look at anything whatsoever which a reactionary eejit decides doesn't suit their personal agenda.
All of which is fine until you use public property as your canvas.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:59 pm

That's not why it was removed though. In fact the guy they interviewed said they'd welcome an original Banksy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:09 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:I know this thread is called The Great Art Debate, but the following is not put forward for debate. These people are morons. End of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29446232
Is graffiti allowed if the perpetrator might be famous? Sounds like they were quite diligent to me.
if it's Banksy it's pretty much welcomed. Why? Because it's witty, often powerful, well executed and locally welcomed. it's not remotely vandalism.

Does that means Banksy is an exception when it comes to graffiti? You bet!

Now the council know it's a Banksy they might feel a little foolish. Indeed, they've said they'd be pleased if he did another.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Quick question, Tango. Well three actually, and to everyone.

If that had been painted by some local kid would there be the same kerfuffle?

Likewise, if Banksy turned up and simply sprayed 'Banksy woz ere' or some other piece of common graffiti, again, would there be the same kerfuffle?

Ultimately - who gets to play imperial arbiter here over what's acceptable and what isn't?
Not sure where that's going as they refer to hypothetical situations v a real one: However...

1. Probably not, but it wasn't. That's what it's all about and what I commented on.
2. I have no idea, but would he do that? Highly unlikely in my view.
3. Not sure what you're asking here? Obviously the council make the rules and complaining occurring after the event would be/was pretty futile anyway.

"A new Banksy mural showing a group of pigeons holding anti-immigration banners has been destroyed following a complaint the work was "racist"....is what the B.B.C report said.
Now, to me, the work/graffitti was having a dig at racism, not promoting it. It's a skit/mickey-take on all the "pinching our jobs" type views. If the council treated it as racism, then their attitude was far from "street-wise"....in my view.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:46 pm

thebish wrote:
Councils will make decisions for all sorts of reasons. But I still don't think it is even close to being true that "Council officials rarely know much about life at street level."

I have a different opinion to you - you stated your opinion - I stated mine.

My experience of local councillors is that they have a very street-level knowledge of the communities they work in - they have to. they know about bins and cracked paving stones and dog-poo problems and how much it costs to replace dropped kerbstones and fill potholes and have to make priorities about all the day-to-day stuff that affects your life and mine far more directly than their more famous counterparts in Westminster...

your experience is clearly different.
Well, I was actually referring to street level views on slightly larger issues than yer actual cracked paving stones, kerbstones, potholes and dog poo sort of steet level, important as those things are, but whatever. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Ahh... you were referring to the street-level view of the value of satirical public art?? what actually is the general street-level view of satirical public art in the fine town of Clacton (a place I have visited many times!) - the street-level view that the councillors are so removed from? (and - how do you know this?)