The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:It's graffiti Will. He could knock another one out (so to speak) in the blink of an eye.
It is graffiti. He could do another, he certainly could. But he won't, I suspect.

Clacton now pissed off they don't have a rival to Tracy in Margate.

Banksy cast the pearl before them. The swine do as they do...
So where does the tipping point lie, Will, between what's acceptable graffiti and what isn't? Should there be an arts panel for this and who gets to sit on it? Graffiti's graffiti and we either allow it or we don't.
Do you think it's impossible to make a judgement on anything at all?
Did you bother to read what I asked?

Of course it's possible to make a judgement. Had this been carried out by Jackson Pollock then our friend would be claiming it to be something worthwhile whilst I'd be volunteering to drive the water cannon - two judgments for you right there. My questions remain - where does the tipping point lie? Who gets to sit in judgement and what would qualify then to do that? Until that question can be answered then all graffiti must be treated the same. We either allow it or we don't.
Have you ever visited Milan ? The whole fckg place looks like the old New York underground. Every single building has graffiti on it. Every shop has metal shutters on the windows (which are covered in spray paint tags) as if they weren't the shop windows would be sprayed. The overall certainly detracts from the city.

I can see that Banksy is a high quality and thought provoking graffiti artist, just as I can see that some skill has gone into the gable end murals we see and as exampled by Monty. I can even get that a council may permit it in certain specified places. But I'm not pro anyone deciding to deface things which they have no right to even if sometimes it can be quite artful.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:It's graffiti Will. He could knock another one out (so to speak) in the blink of an eye.
It is graffiti. He could do another, he certainly could. But he won't, I suspect.

Clacton now pissed off they don't have a rival to Tracy in Margate.

Banksy cast the pearl before them. The swine do as they do...
So where does the tipping point lie, Will, between what's acceptable graffiti and what isn't? Should there be an arts panel for this and who gets to sit on it? Graffiti's graffiti and we either allow it or we don't.
Do you think it's impossible to make a judgement on anything at all?
Did you bother to read what I asked?

Of course it's possible to make a judgement. Had this been carried out by Jackson Pollock then our friend would be claiming it to be something worthwhile whilst I'd be volunteering to drive the water cannon - two judgments for you right there. My questions remain - where does the tipping point lie? Who gets to sit in judgement and what would qualify then to do that? Until that question can be answered then all graffiti must be treated the same. We either allow it or we don't.
I did read it. i suppose I was responding to graffiti's graffiti and we either allow it or don't Thinking that you meant all or none. I now realise you were asking different questions.

Bristol calls it street art when it makes the judgement that it's good and contributes well to the city (it took a good while for it to get to this position). When it's shit they consider it vandalism and get rid. I'm not sure how they make that judgement. But I'm all but certain the city will have an arts officer and maybe more than one and i expect he or she will be involved. I'd also like to see the surrounding community involved in any decision to keep or get rid. But again i don't know if this happens in Bristol or anywhere.

So - making judgements isn't necessarily easy, but it is possible.

and can be surprisingly popular:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... gland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And recommend (written by the son of a good friend)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Can-Ye ... 1906477078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by William the White on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:51 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

I can see that Banksy is a high quality and thought provoking graffiti artist, just as I can see that some skill has gone into the gable end murals we see and as exampled by Monty. I can even get that a council may permit it in certain specified places. But I'm not pro anyone deciding to deface things which they have no right to even if sometimes it can be quite artful.
I do not know for certain but I am fairly sure that building owners would have to sanction the 'art'. Spray painting slogans or pictures without permission is generally considered vandalism and subject to removal.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

I do not know for certain but I am fairly sure that building owners would have to sanction the 'art'. Spray painting slogans or pictures without permission is generally considered vandalism and subject to removal.
I don't know what happens now, but I'm certain that the early years of Bristol street art were unsanctioned.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:52 pm

William the White wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

I don't know what happens now, but I'm certain that the early years of Bristol street art were unsanctioned.
I was talking about Montreal, Bill - no idea about Bristol.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:13 pm

This Radio 3 programme on abstract art is well worth a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04h7vtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An interesting panel apart from Paul Farley, a classic example of the shit, know-nothing, Scouse poet genre.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:15 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:This Radio 3 programme on abstract art is well worth a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04h7vtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An interesting panel apart from Paul Farley, a classic example of the shit, know-nothing, Scouse poet genre.
Not yet listened to the programme...

But Farley a very good poet - IMO...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:37 pm

William the White wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:This Radio 3 programme on abstract art is well worth a listen.

Ha, trust you - ok, my pathological hatred of scousers has once again got the better of me. I don't really know his work, but there so often seems to be a 'poet' from Liverpool who crops up on this sort of thing, confusing speaking slowly with profundity.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:12 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
William the White wrote:

Ha, trust you - ok, my pathological hatred of scousers has once again got the better of me. I don't really know his work, but there so often seems to be a 'poet' from Liverpool who crops up on this sort of thing, confusing speaking slowly with profundity.
Well - I do like his poetry, a lot, but, I confess, he teaches Creative Writing at Lancaster Uni and awarded my daughter several first class marks for her poems. I may be slightly biased... :wink:

But there's no way he requires inverted commas around 'poet'.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:25 pm

They weren't for him... I'm just saying that the slow-speaking, pseudo-profound Scouse poet seems to be a distinct genre whether it's voiceovers for football montages, panel discussions, or whatever.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:05 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:They weren't for him... I'm just saying that the slow-speaking, pseudo-profound Scouse poet seems to be a distinct genre whether it's voiceovers for football montages, panel discussions, or whatever.
I was only able to read that by hearing it in the manner of Lucien from 'The Liver Birds'.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:42 pm

I quite like some of this collection of Pawel Kuczynski's satirical work...

http://www.artfido.com/blog/paintings-t ... his-world/

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:13 pm

V good. Like the ladder one in particular.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:37 pm

I see a Banksie piece has been the victim of ...... graffiti !

Now, Alanis THAT is irony.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Discovered an English impressionist of modern times (died in 1975) Edward Seago. Particularly like this for its sheer simplicity.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 pm

^^^ What did he do with the other half of the potato, d'ya think? ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:^^^ What did he do with the other half of the potato, d'ya think? ;)
Even artists have to eat..... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:18 am

So Folkestone now has the same number of Banksy pieces as Clacton.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/ ... for-26264/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a circus.

Have seen lots of art recently but nothing tops the exhibition of Schiele's nudes I saw at the Courtauld today. Best exhibition of 2014, for me.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:27 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:So Folkestone now has the same number of Banksy pieces as Clacton.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/ ... for-26264/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a circus.

Have seen lots of art recently but nothing tops the exhibition of Schiele's nudes I saw at the Courtauld today. Best exhibition of 2014, for me.
Hmmm! His nudes always struck me that they were suffering from sexually transmitted diseases, or possibly ebola.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:04 pm