The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:55 pm

^^
Terribly kind of you Mummy and, a really great offer and. Unfortunatley, I have quite a lot on my plate coming up in the near future so I'll have to pass this one. Really appreciate the offer though.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:51 pm

This is a painting I'd love to see "in the flesh" so to speak. Ewenny Priory, a 12th century eddifice in Wales painted by Turner. The subject is nothing exceptional, something that would only hang in a gallery, but the execution is quite magnificent. In my view, Turner would be captivated by the contrasts in light and shade and its various and changing depths. On the right the direct sunlight through windows and open doorway and on the left the reflected light from the large open area. It has some small area of attention in the figures and items around, but these are minimal compared to the atmosphere of the whole thing. For me, brilliant..

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:20 pm

Summat for those of us fighting the flab to be inspired by! The Belvedere Torso is coming to London!

A new exhibition at the British Museum will include what was once dubbed "the most famous Greek body in Europe".

Defining beauty: the body in ancient Greek art marks the first time the Belvedere Torso has been lent to the UK from its home in the Vatican.

The original Greek sculpture was found in Rome during the Renaissance and inspired Michelangelo's Adam.

Director Neil MacGregor called it "a loan of astonishing importance".

"The Belvedere Torso has a very interesting part to play in the story of the Greek body. It was the touchstone of authenticity up until the time that the Parthenon sculptures arrive," said curator Ian Jenkins, calling it "one of the great celebrities of antiquity".

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:22 pm

thebish wrote:Summat for those of us fighting the flab to be inspired by! The Belvedere Torso is coming to London!

A new exhibition at the British Museum will include what was once dubbed "the most famous Greek body in Europe".

Defining beauty: the body in ancient Greek art marks the first time the Belvedere Torso has been lent to the UK from its home in the Vatican.

The original Greek sculpture was found in Rome during the Renaissance and inspired Michelangelo's Adam.

Director Neil MacGregor called it "a loan of astonishing importance".

"The Belvedere Torso has a very interesting part to play in the story of the Greek body. It was the touchstone of authenticity up until the time that the Parthenon sculptures arrive," said curator Ian Jenkins, calling it "one of the great celebrities of antiquity".
:shock: It looks like it belongs in a skip.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Doing a London visit next week - mostly family stuff, but we'll take the opportunity to visit some exhibitions...

So today, tried to book tickets for Rembrandt's late works at the national gallery. It finishes on the 18th january - and is completely sold out!

Bollocks!!! :( :( :(

Have got tickets for the Schiele nudes though at the Courtauld... And there's much consolation in that...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:04 pm

William the White wrote:
Have got tickets for the Schiele nudes though at the Courtauld... And there's much consolation in that...
enjoy! (they're hideous!)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:
I know. I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

I saw a lot of his work in the Leopold Museum in Vienna in November. He's tremendous. Really disturbing.

My first trip to the Courtauld - it looks like one Tango would like. Lots of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist work in the Permanent Collection.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:39 pm

William the White wrote:
thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:

I saw a lot of his work in the Leopold Museum in Vienna in November. He's tremendous. Really disturbing.

My first trip to the Courtauld - it looks like one Tango would like. Lots of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist work in the Permanent Collection.
If Tango likes the Schiele nudes - I'll eat my cat.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:
thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:

If Tango likes the Schiele nudes - I'll eat my cat.
Good news, cat safe. :wink:
I'd be well happy perusing the Courtauld impressionists in the permanent collection, ( which I think Will meant) but Schiele, no. Hideous does it for me, And yes, I've had a look at

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=&t ... dloXHYQ57g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Good news, cat safe. :wink:
:D cheers!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:38 pm

I came across this last week - on R4 (BBC iplayer) - one of Melvyn Bragg's "History of Ideas" programmes - this one asking the question: "Why are things beautiful?"

it touches on a question that brings about quite a sharp distinction about our approach to art on this thread...

there are some brief discussions introducing some fascinating ideas in here for those who are interested in thinking about WHY we consider some things to be "great art" or in the programme's terms, "beautiful"..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04pcd5k

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:37 am

thebish wrote:Summat for those of us fighting the flab to be inspired by! The Belvedere Torso is coming to London!

Can't believe this is coming here. The Vatican have really spoilt us in recent years by loaning us the Raphael Tapestries (V&A), the Leonardo St Jerome (National Gallery) and now this.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:31 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Can't believe this is coming here. The Vatican have really spoilt us in recent years by loaning us the Raphael Tapestries (V&A), the Leonardo St Jerome (National Gallery) and now this.
Have you seen the Raphael cartoons at the V&A, Crayons? They're fecking amazing.
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Have you seen the Raphael cartoons at the V&A, Crayons? They're fecking amazing.
I have indeed, Bruce - and they are the designs for tapestries of the same size which are usually only rolled out at the Vatican on special occasions, but which were hung alongside the designs in those rooms at the V&A back in 2010. http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... exhibition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cartoons are incredible art in their own right, though. When the V&A had an exhibition of Chinese ink painting last year, where the Chinese tradition is to make human figures look tiny and insignificant compared to the sublime magnificence of nature, it was interesting to walk straight to the Raphael room to see what Europeans were doing at the same time - making 30-foot high pictures of human actors filling the frame!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Good news, cat safe. :wink:
I'd be well happy perusing the Courtauld impressionists in the permanent collection, ( which I think Will meant) but Schiele, no. Hideous does it for me, And yes, I've had a look at

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=&t ... dloXHYQ57g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did mean the Impressionist and post-impressionist work in the gallery (I'm looking forward to seeing it myself).

I can sort of understand your rejection of the Schiele nudes, but isn't this a bit prissy? Like you want art all chintzy and sugar almond?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:00 am

William the White wrote:

I did mean the Impressionist and post-impressionist work in the gallery (I'm looking forward to seeing it myself). I can sort of understand your rejection of the Schiele nudes, but isn't this a bit prissy? Like you want art all chintzy and sugar almond?
Not at all Will. I appreciate many things, from the Old Masters right up to some very modern stuff. I've been in quite a few museums, churches, castles and cathedrals in my time and seen a lot of it all. I'm mainly a painting, carving and sculpture appreciater and not a great lover of cubism or abstract art, whilst still appreciating "some" of the skills involved. I like the Pre Rapaelites' detail and romantic views at the same time as the great impressionists looseness and freedom of expression. Mainly, I like what catches my eye and attention. What I don't really go for is a seeming fascination in painting things like female body parts over and over (as per artist like Schiele). We all know what everything looks like, even at its ugliest (try a summer's day visit to Farnworth :wink: ) So why glorify it, more-so, why have any interest in it at all? Interest is either present, or it isn't. In my case with Schiele, it's the latter. (Oh.and I don't like sugared almonds either) :D

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:23 am

Went to see a few things yesterday afternoon; the Vaughan Turner's at the National Gallery on The Mound, plus William Strang's dark etchings, then went to see Ponte City at the Portrait Gallery followed by Robert Douglas's exhibition at the Fruitmarket. I could have happily walked out with this were it not far too big to fit under my arm.

http://fruitmarket.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... lowres.jpg

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:35 am

Little Green Man wrote:Went to see a few things yesterday afternoon; the Vaughan Turner's at the National Gallery on The Mound, plus William Strang's dark etchings, then went to see Ponte City at the Portrait Gallery followed by Robert Douglas's exhibition at the Fruitmarket. I could have happily walked out with this were it not far too big to fit under my arm.

wow!! that is stunning! :oyea:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:51 am

thebish wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:Went to see a few things yesterday afternoon; the Vaughan Turner's at the National Gallery on The Mound, plus William Strang's dark etchings, then went to see Ponte City at the Portrait Gallery followed by Robert Douglas's exhibition at the Fruitmarket. I could have happily walked out with this were it not far too big to fit under my arm.

It isn't a real photo. The alley was destroyed in 1970. It's been digitally re-created from old photos and maps. Still wowsome though - and thanks to The Fruitmarket uploading a rather large (yet still low res) copy of it, we can all enjoy it at home.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
thebish wrote:

It isn't a real photo. The alley was destroyed in 1970. It's been digitally re-created from old photos and maps. Still wowsome though - and thanks to The Fruitmarket uploading a rather large (yet still low res) copy of it, we can all enjoy it at home.
in that case - even wower! that's a pretty awesome digital recreation job! :oyea: