Are men allowed to drink white wine?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

See fecking title.

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 30

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Last weekend I found a 2000 Chassagne Montrachet (not quite Le Montrachet but close) in the liquor store. Regularly $70 it had been reduce to $60. When I pointed out the top label (near the neck of the bottle was a little loose) they reduced it by a further 25%. So I couldn't resist and blew $45 on a bottle on wine - far beyond my usual purchase price. I had once had some Le Montrachet fifty years ago and have always wanted another crack at it. This may be as close as I get.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: If you mean Marques de Caceres, Tango, then yes - a fine drop. I'm sure that you'll find any Faustino easy on the palate, too.
I did yes. Got introduced to it not in Spain, but in El Rincon several years ago.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Pru, little tip A Cotes-De-St-Mont is the greatest secret in French wine.
Last edited by Lord Kangana on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: If you mean Marques de Caceres, Tango, then yes - a fine drop. I'm sure that you'll find any Faustino easy on the palate, too.
I did yes. Got introduced to it not in Spain, but in El Rincon several years ago.
Husht! I thought we made a deal! :shock: :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:33 pm

warthog wrote:If it's not ok to drink white wine then I'm in serious bother.

As for hangovers, the best way to avoid them is not to drink so much. Failing that the choice of tipple helps. Dark Rum is the worst, followed by Brandy and red wine. Drinking water before going to bed is a good idea, but when you're shit faced you won't bother.

Strong cider is the cheapest way to get slaughtered. You can get hold of two litres of Merrydown (7.5% by volume) for £4 if you know where to shop. It even tastes nice too and is the ideal accompaniment for a kebab.

This concludes Warthog's guide to alcohol abuse.
I don't think I've ever bonded with an anonymous poster on an internet forum more, over one post. Point by pint (Freudian slip), I'm glad that it is OK to drink white wine, and that it is only my friends who are c*nts, not the general population. Secondly, agree so so so so much on the dark rum. I threw up a chocolate mousse on that stuff, and even when I work back at the pub back home I need to get somebody else to serve Captain Morgan (Captain C*nt to me). Again with the water thing, every time I've done it, it's worked. However i suspect that MAY be because i have only ever done it when sober enough to think it was a good idea, or even a more important idea than concentrating on what I would call my pet salamander, if I had one (Justine if anyone was wondering). Finally if we are talking cider, the single best way for those of a student disposition to get turkey-kneed, is to go for the Sainsbury's basics cider. At the last check it was two litres for £1.28, with ice, tasteless, and magnifectly hangover free*

*Disclaimer, if combined with Sainsbury's basics red wine, on the night of your first ever uni essay deadline, it MIGHT lead you to break into an LSE hall, and go up and down in the lift for 2 hours, laughing at strangers, and then wake up to photos plastered around your own halls of you passed out somehow trying to LEAVE your own room.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are men allowed to drink white wine?

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote: Only tarts drink white wine. FACT! :wink:
Because real men drink? :conf:
Rosé Lambrini.
Businesswoman of the year.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Are men allowed to drink white wine?

Post by warthog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:34 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Only tarts drink white wine. FACT! :wink:
Stick to your Strongbow, gay boy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

:oops:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Red wine only if you've got a knob I reckon.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Verbal wrote:White wine is far and away the cheapest way to get absolutely shitfaced, a tool I have utilised many a time in my current spendthrift days. Agree with the hangovers though, argh. Just drink some water before bed. In sum, ofcourse it's alright.
Bloody good. However, my favourite thing about white is I don't really get hangovers. If i drink red, i wake thinking I'm called Gerald and that I fought a real life rhino with my hands tied behind my back, whereas white just makes me feel like my head is wrapped in a duvet and that nothing is really real. As for the spendthriftiness, to me, it raises questions about what the feck are the french? I have bought said bottles of white wine for a combined sum of just under a fiver, and, unlike the stuff you can get for similar pennies en Angleterre (and i am thinking of the Co-op's 'Spanish wine', with a helpful map of all of Spain to show you whence it came) which tastes like paint stripper and drip-trays, it is actually nice. The same place where i can get such value, is the most consistenly beautiful city I have ever seen, a city where i can get where I want, when I want, without having my face stuck in a bankers armpit, where I can get a freshly baked baguette for 50p, where I come across the most immaculate female-folk in the history of staring, is the same place where I haven't been to uni in nearly over two months because they've got a bit peeved about something (they haven't actually told us what) and downed tools. Who are these people?!
Ok did you want advice or are you just showing off? :mrgreen:

Good effort if you don't get hangovers off the White, gives me horrible ones. And my uneducated pallete is quite happy with Tesco's finest, for some reason.
Sorry I digressed (is that a word? It looks wrong). My question came to be, because there is a wonderful wine bar cafe thingy I frequent, at 2 euros a glass (I might as well show off while I'm at it, Paris is bloody lovely) where I am the only bloke who drinks white, ALL the girls drink white, and ALL the guys red, and I am often the recipient of cheap jibes about my masculinity as a result. It wasn't so much advice i needed as reassurance, I'm not a wrong-un am I?
Aye, digress is a word.

And ofcourse tha not wrong. Must be a French thing. White wine is lovely.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Pru, little tip A Cotes-De-St-Mont is the greatest secret in French wine.
Firstly can we PLEASE have less of this 'Pru' shit, I'm not an insurance company, if you must address me directly, I'd much prefer 'Mr Rock' ta very much. Secondly, thanks for the shout, and ditto all else who have made recomendations. My only problem is pennies. My basic plan is to go supermarche and buy most expenisve whilst still remaining under 4 euro bottle of Sauvignon or Chardonnay around. Served me well so far, which for me, is the most spectacular plus point to France there is. Bread and wine people, bread and wine.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Verbal wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Verbal wrote:White wine is far and away the cheapest way to get absolutely shitfaced, a tool I have utilised many a time in my current spendthrift days. Agree with the hangovers though, argh. Just drink some water before bed. In sum, ofcourse it's alright.
Bloody good. However, my favourite thing about white is I don't really get hangovers. If i drink red, i wake thinking I'm called Gerald and that I fought a real life rhino with my hands tied behind my back, whereas white just makes me feel like my head is wrapped in a duvet and that nothing is really real. As for the spendthriftiness, to me, it raises questions about what the feck are the french? I have bought said bottles of white wine for a combined sum of just under a fiver, and, unlike the stuff you can get for similar pennies en Angleterre (and i am thinking of the Co-op's 'Spanish wine', with a helpful map of all of Spain to show you whence it came) which tastes like paint stripper and drip-trays, it is actually nice. The same place where i can get such value, is the most consistenly beautiful city I have ever seen, a city where i can get where I want, when I want, without having my face stuck in a bankers armpit, where I can get a freshly baked baguette for 50p, where I come across the most immaculate female-folk in the history of staring, is the same place where I haven't been to uni in nearly over two months because they've got a bit peeved about something (they haven't actually told us what) and downed tools. Who are these people?!
Ok did you want advice or are you just showing off? :mrgreen:

Good effort if you don't get hangovers off the White, gives me horrible ones. And my uneducated pallete is quite happy with Tesco's finest, for some reason.
Sorry I digressed (is that a word? It looks wrong). My question came to be, because there is a wonderful wine bar cafe thingy I frequent, at 2 euros a glass (I might as well show off while I'm at it, Paris is bloody lovely) where I am the only bloke who drinks white, ALL the girls drink white, and ALL the guys red, and I am often the recipient of cheap jibes about my masculinity as a result. It wasn't so much advice i needed as reassurance, I'm not a wrong-un am I?
Aye, digress is a word.

And ofcourse tha not wrong. Must be a French thing. White wine is lovely.
Good man, let's stand up to these barbaric types such as Hoss and Jimbo, and enjoy non-headache inducing vin.

As for 'digress', I knew that was a word, but i had a problem of the past participle variety in that for some reason 'digressed' looked (and still does in fact) wrong).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 pm

warthog wrote:If it's not ok to drink white wine then I'm in serious bother.

As for hangovers, the best way to avoid them is not to drink so much. Failing that the choice of tipple helps. Dark Rum is the worst, followed by Brandy and red wine. Drinking water before going to bed is a good idea, but when you're shit faced you won't bother.

Strong cider is the cheapest way to get slaughtered. You can get hold of two litres of Merrydown (7.5% by volume) for £4 if you know where to shop. It even tastes nice too and is the ideal accompaniment for a kebab.

This concludes Warthog's guide to alcohol abuse.
Alcohol, in just over four minutes

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Pru, little tip A Cotes-De-St-Mont is the greatest secret in French wine.
Firstly can we PLEASE have less of this 'Pru' shit, I'm not an insurance company, if you must address me directly, I'd much prefer 'Mr Rock' ta very much.
Surely, Pru, it would be Mr. Frock - obviously your friends are right. :wink:
PS: Drink what you enjoy - colour doesn't matter.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:56 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Firstly can we PLEASE have less of this 'Pru' shit, I'm not an insurance company, if you must address me directly, I'd much prefer 'Mr Rock' ta very much.
Aye, you must adress him correctly. :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:57 pm

now, to get back to el rincon, outstanding tapas bar, that sells marques de caceres, smooth, slightly oaky rioja... at what bargain price per bottle with excellent service is that??? ... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:01 am

William the White wrote:now, to get back to el rincon, outstanding tapas bar, that sells marques de caceres, smooth, slightly oaky rioja... at what bargain price per bottle with excellent service is that??? ... :wink:
No, you mis-heard me. It was El Rincon in Malaga. 8)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Seriously chaps, how busy is this place?

If one wanted a table on an ordinary Saturday night, when would one have to book?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:14 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Dammit you've got me. I tried to pull off the 'cool' nickname but you've seen through my erm...disguise :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Seriously chaps, how busy is this place?

If one wanted a table on an ordinary Saturday night, when would one have to book?
Probably early in the week. It's very popular. Sorry Bruce. :oops: