What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by William the White » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 pm

We have several boxes of Turkish Delight, including the fave pomegranate one, bought in the Grand Bazaar or Egyptian Bazaar on the Istanbul outing three weeks ago. But they are decreasing day by day... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Just been up to the Pack at Affetside to book a table for next weekend. Pretty remarkable what they've done with the place inside, they having opened it right out as you come in from the carpark and, not before time, they've built an additional bar. Will report back as to whether or not the nosebag's still as good or not. Afterall, it being Mother's Day weekend they're up in front of the imperial arbiter. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:59 pm

It was monkfish paella last night.

And a French Viognier.

Fab. I love cooking this. And eating it. :D

And tonight was poached turbot. I like fish a little more assertive but my wife really enjoyed. A Chilean Chardonnay.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 am

William the White wrote:It was monkfish paella last night.

And a French Viognier.

Fab. I love cooking this. And eating it. :D

And tonight was poached turbot. I like fish a little more assertive but my wife really enjoyed. A Chilean Chardonnay.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:49 pm

:lol: I think a red wine with that...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Steak and kidney pie and chips. Think I ate too much. :? Off to the pub with friends now to wash it down. 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Steak and kidney pie and chips. Think I ate too much. :? Off to the pub with friends now to wash it down. 8)
It's taken a while, but the northern lass has finally emerged. ;)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:49 pm

Checked out the Cameroonian place in the new market today. Tried a sample of beef provencale which was excellent, followed by a piece of the goat curry. Bloody amazing. £4.50 with spicy rice, fried plantain and his home made chilli sauce. They also had oxtail stew, spicy chicken and a couple of other dishes. I know where i'm going for lunch tomorrow. :P

Have to say that I was impressed with the layout and stalls in there. There's also a pizza place, sandwich shop, stall selling Italian breads and a coffee shop. Not sure what else is in there, as we stayed in the central area, where there are wooden benches and tables. Looks as though Bolton market has been brought into the 21st century. Well worth a visit!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35 pm

Friday lunch was at the same place. Chicken and spinach with rice for 4 quid. Bargain!

They've also put a small real ale bar in there too, selling bottles and draught beers. Thankfully, it's not frequented by the same folk that used to go in the old pub in the corner.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Friday lunch was at the same place. Chicken and spinach with rice for 4 quid. Bargain!

They've also put a small real ale bar in there too, selling bottles and draught beers. Thankfully, it's not frequented by the same folk that used to go in the old pub in the corner.
Is this somewhere in the Ashburner Street markets. Or the refurb'd Old Market Hall at Bridge Street ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:Friday lunch was at the same place. Chicken and spinach with rice for 4 quid. Bargain!

Is this somewhere in the Ashburner Street markets. Or the refurb'd Old Market Hall at Bridge Street ?
Ashburner Street, at the entrance via carrs pasties. It's had a few million quid spent on it and tbf they've done a great job with the design and bringing in decent food and drink outlets . A massive change from the market stalls that used to be in there. That's moved into a new area at the back.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:37 pm

It was almost perfect tonight. Almost. I got the text today "I've got some liver for tea". So, thinks I, that calls for some nice rich jus (gravy to the proles amongst you), a good mash potatoes (with mustard in, if you must know) some candied shallots and a good bottle of red. Maybe two good bottles.

Yeah, anyway, it was pork liver. Which is rubbsih. Everything else was great though. Including (and especially) the wine. Bottle of Ksara, Lebanese, red and a bottle of Pequera Riberra del Duerro (great, but way too young). I'm a bit drunk now. And frankly, still pissed off that it was pork rather than calves' liver. C'est la vie.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Puccini's last night (figured it'd be easier than trying to get in, today). Food excellent as ever. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:54 pm

Anybody that eats liver will have at least the makings of a beard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 am

It's#2 son's birthday in 2 days and mother's day yesterday so brought her down to see him,.staying in a really good, independent hotel in Cardiff Bay and ate at a fish restaurant inthe city called le Monde. It was one of those which has a superb display of their offerigs on ice. Shared a huge mixed fish fritata, plus tiger prawns and oysters. Then Halibut, Black Bream and Red Snapper was partaken
Properly good.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 am

Working in Guildford this week, anyone know any good restaurants in the area?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:43 am

I went for a Mother's Day (I know) meal yesterday with Mrs GtE and little Miss GtE. We went to Cockfosters (yes, get it over with and let's move on) to a newish restaurant called Skewed. It's essentially Turkish cuisine but with a twist. Elements of Greek, Eastern Mediterranean and North Africa have influenced dishes to a greater or lesser extent.

I had Grilled, honey Glazed Goats Cheese for starters served with beetroot slices, caramelised shallots and a walnut, rocket and Balsamic vinegar salad.

Main course was a mixed kebab. Chicken Shish, Lamb Kofte, Lamb chops and ribs. The meat was deliciously cooked and SO moist it fell apart in your mouth. This was accompanied by fresh salad, roasted veg. and rice

During the main course the owner, who had been giving us strange looks since we entered, came over and said to Mrs GtE ''excuse me, but I know you from somewhere'' (I have to say this happens often as my wife has worked in the borough as a teacher/ deputy head for over 25 years. It turns out this was one of her former pupils and he was now the proprieter of the restaurant. Pleasantries were exchanged and we carried on with our meal.

When it came time for desserts our new friend suggested we leave the choice to him. He came back with a choice of four (not samples, but full portions). We had a Crème brulee, a Pear poached in some sort of alcohol liqueur which turned it purple, Nutella Ice Cream with Oreo cookies and a Walnut pudding with custard and a strawberry coulis.

It was one of the best meals I have ever had and made even better when he treated us to the desserts for free.

Seriously, seriously recommend this place.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:55 pm

Because Bro's and I were away over the weekend we took Mum to the newly re-vamped Pack Horse for lunch on Friday. Took an hour for food to arrive which, when it arrived, was OK, but not as good as that that one might expect to receive at a growing number of very good gastro-pubs in the area. One thing that pissed me off was that my chips were served in a tiny galvanised bucket and as such numbered about six or seven, whilst they'd filled the plate out with 'seasonal' veg. That's just the wrong way around.

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:16 pm

Beefheart wrote:Working in Guildford this week, anyone know any good restaurants in the area?
Most of the restaurants in Guildford a quite posh and expensive. So for something cheaper there is a T.G.I Fridays and The White House (although not sure what the prices are like there) which is on the river, the is a Weatherspoons also near the station and a Nando's. So it depends what your after?
"Oh f**k off you daft southern c**t"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:30 pm

danhorwich wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Working in Guildford this week, anyone know any good restaurants in the area?
Most of the restaurants in Guildford a quite posh and expensive. So for something cheaper there is a T.G.I Fridays and The White House (although not sure what the prices are like there) which is on the river, the is a Weatherspoons also near the station and a Nando's. So it depends what your after?
Dan. Beefeart's enquired as to good restaurants, not cheap ones. He's made it clear as to what it is that he's after. You might be happy to eat in shitholes. ;)