What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by clapton is god » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:My mates son works in the kitchen there Clappers. He spent 2 hours on his first day searching the freezer for a leg of salmon.
:D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Is it possible to make a decent Christmas cake within two weeks, and if so, has anyone a recipe? I believe that they need continually topping up with oodles of booze!
Jamie Oliver's is the best online:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/rec ... stmas-cake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Add extra booze and more fruit and cook at a much lower temperature for longer with a tray of water in the bottom of the oven - and if you really want to cheat, supermarkets sell pre-soaked fruit.
Cheers, Chef. To share the tale, Mum got rushed into hospital again on Friday, so I said that I'll put Christmas dinner on for the folks this year. Any tips on making this as easy as possible will be greatly appreciated.

Caterers or eat out. You're welcome.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:52 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Is it possible to make a decent Christmas cake within two weeks, and if so, has anyone a recipe? I believe that they need continually topping up with oodles of booze!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/rec ... stmas-cake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Add extra booze and more fruit and cook at a much lower temperature for longer with a tray of water in the bottom of the oven - and if you really want to cheat, supermarkets sell pre-soaked fruit.
Cheers, Chef. To share the tale, Mum got rushed into hospital again on Friday, so I said that I'll put Christmas dinner on for the folks this year. Any tips on making this as easy as possible will be greatly appreciated.

I find the thought of either utterly abhorrent, but thanks ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

I find the thought of either utterly abhorrent, but thanks ;)
Those Christmas Tinners looked quick and easy. :-)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:18 pm

the obvious way to serve onion rings!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:22 pm

I hope that you shoved that piping up the chefs arse!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:23 am

the best meal ive ever eaten was at the Sun Inn in Kirkby Lonsdale yesterday. Im no Jay Rayner but all 3 courses were absolutely sublime. bubble & squeak / treacle cured roast beef / christmas pudd!

Mini beer festival on the Orange Tree too, with 50p out of every pint going to the cumbrian flood relief effort! - was happy to do our bit!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Just made a sneaky start on the Christmas Day cheese. I doubt it that my parents would like Brie anyway. Well now we'll never know :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Just bought a Fortnum's potted Stilton for my Uncle for Xmas. This is going to take some self-restraint!

Also writing Xmas cards listening to the radio when "Gunga Din" by The Libertines came on. Made me think of you Brucie :D!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:Just bought a Fortnum's potted Stilton for my Uncle for Xmas. This is going to take some self-restraint!

Also writing Xmas cards listening to the radio when "Gunga Din" by The Libertines came on. Made me think of you Brucie :D!
I appear to have surpassed 'Gunga Din' this week by calling one of the girls in the lab 'Fatty'. She's eight months pregnant. She's my friend again now though. :oops:

Anyway, last Christmas a dear friend of mine sent me an F&M Port and potted Stilton hamper. Stilton is like a blow job - the worst one you ever had was still fecking good, but the stuff from F&M is utterly incredible. The best I ever had by a mile. Good luck with that self-restraint, my friend. ;)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Well, today I was given a 1992 bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from what we're once Stalin's private vinyard in the Crimea.

I'm told by the donator that it's very good. I'm told by someone who's drunk it that it isn't.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Just bought a Fortnum's potted Stilton for my Uncle for Xmas. This is going to take some self-restraint!

I appear to have surpassed 'Gunga Din' this week by calling one of the girls in the lab 'Fatty'. She's eight months pregnant. She's my friend again now though. :oops:

Anyway, last Christmas a dear friend of mine sent me an F&M Port and potted Stilton hamper. Stilton is like a blow job - the worst one you ever had was still fecking good, but the stuff from F&M is utterly incredible. The best I ever had by a mile. Good luck with that self-restraint, my friend. ;)
See now, I just don't subscribe to this view. A bad one is abysmal. There really is quite no disappointment like it. Like finding there's a hole in the lid of your F&M Stilton, but worse Much, much worse.

Edited as I was rather rude in not providing some constructive criticism, just in case she does ever read this - Joanne, for the sake of every relationship you'll ever have, do it like you mean it or don't bother. My apologies for being too polite to mention it at the time darling.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

See now, I just don't subscribe to this view. A bad one is abysmal. There really is quite no disappointment like it. Like finding there's a hole in the lid of your F&M Stilton, but worse Much, much worse.

Edited as I was rather rude in not providing some constructive criticism, just in case she does ever read this - Joanne, for the sake of every relationship you'll ever have, do it like you mean it or don't bother. My apologies for being too polite to mention it at the time darling.
Maybe she didn't have much to work with? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

To which she said "I'm used to F & M cheese. None of this cheepskate, stinking, fetid stuff.............. Love" ;)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:01 pm

I suppose this is the part where I put that I don't understand what all the fuss is about with Stilton. It's basically just a really rich one dimensional cream bomb. It isn't even a proper blue cheese!

Anyway, I appreciate this will not be a widely held opinion. But then, you're all wrong and I'm right. So ner.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:42 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I suppose this is the part where I put that I don't understand what all the fuss is about with Stilton. It's basically just a really rich one dimensional cream bomb. It isn't even a proper blue cheese!

Anyway, I appreciate this will not be a widely held opinion. But then, you're all wrong and I'm right. So ner.
And what should we be desiring then? I enjoy Stilton. Some Stiltons more than others. I don't enjoy Wensleydale, especially when someone stuffs cranberries into it, but I understand that others might. ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:55 pm

I'm quite happy for the wife to agree with L.K. She got my lump of Mature Blue Stilton from M&S today. She doesn't like the stuff. I never argue with that; double helpings for me. Have to eat it when the dog isn't around. He loves cheese but I draw the line at some things. My imagination's working overtime on Stilton and mushroom cheese bake now,,,,grrrr.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:13 am

Not a fan of stilton myself and have previously thought of myself as disliking blue cheeses. However, I spotted Blacksticks Blue in Sainsburys yesterday and recalled a few of you on here being fans of it. I'll give it a whirl, but fully expect to be lobbing most of it into the bin. Shameful really, as I hate food waste. I'm now desperately hoping that I like it!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:54 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:Not a fan of stilton myself and have previously thought of myself as disliking blue cheeses. However, I spotted Blacksticks Blue in Sainsburys yesterday and recalled a few of you on here being fans of it. I'll give it a whirl, but fully expect to be lobbing most of it into the bin. Shameful really, as I hate food waste. I'm now desperately hoping that I like it!
I believe it goes well with defrosted loaf crusts.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:14 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:Not a fan of stilton myself and have previously thought of myself as disliking blue cheeses. However, I spotted Blacksticks Blue in Sainsburys yesterday and recalled a few of you on here being fans of it. I'll give it a whirl, but fully expect to be lobbing most of it into the bin. Shameful really, as I hate food waste. I'm now desperately hoping that I like it!
I believe it goes well with defrosted loaf crusts.
:lol: