What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Turkey is easy and you miss out with a crown.Simply a case of timing and basting.
Not so Insaney. Turkey crown is all prime meat and is usually plenty enough for a family meal with some to spare (depends on the size you buy, obviously). Easier to cook, no waste and you're not messing about for days with a great greasy lumpy carcase and a load of bones and getting fed up with turkey with everything to use it up. This info sanctioned by the chief chef (the wife). :wink:
Prime meat? Prime meat? There isn't any dark meat on a crown. It is all breast. The prime meat is the leg meat.
Fair enough, you have the legs then and I'll take the crown. Sorted. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Turkey is easy and you miss out with a crown.Simply a case of timing and basting.
Not so Insaney. Turkey crown is all prime meat and is usually plenty enough for a family meal with some to spare (depends on the size you buy, obviously). Easier to cook, no waste and you're not messing about for days with a great greasy lumpy carcase and a load of bones and getting fed up with turkey with everything to use it up. This info sanctioned by the chief chef (the wife). :wink:
Prime meat? Prime meat? There isn't any dark meat on a crown. It is all breast. The prime meat is the leg meat.
Fair enough, you have the legs then and I'll take the crown. Sorted. :wink:
I'm with you Tango. In fact that is good idea. What time do you want me over on Christmas Day for dinner? I love brussel sprouts. Can you do extra for me?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Turkey is easy and you miss out with a crown.

Simply a case of timing and basting.
Fannying about, then?!
It isn't that bad. Season turkey.

Put in pre-heated oven at 220 for about 10 minutes.

Take out, cover breasts with streaky bacon. Put back in at 160 (or maybe even lower) for a couple of hours (depending how big it is) basting every half hour or so.

You can go to the bother of stuffing flavoured butter under the breast skin too if you like but that would constitute fannying about.
Bruce - He means the turkey breasts, not yours!!
I think I just did a sick in my mouth :vomit:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:41 pm

The travel agents have just been in, delivering a consignment of Christmas cakes. Here's one I scoffed earlier. Nom, nom, and thrice, nom! :)

May the bridges I burn light your way

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Can someone recommend me a slow cooker? also can someone advise me if this would be a criminal christmas present for the wife?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:09 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Can someone recommend me a slow cooker? also can someone advise me if this would be a criminal christmas present for the wife?
I think you already know the answer to your second question!!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:19 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:Can someone recommend me a slow cooker? also can someone advise me if this would be a criminal christmas present for the wife?
I think you already know the answer to your second question!!
Depends if it's the only present!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:22 pm

Is it possible to make a decent Christmas cake within two weeks, and if so, has anyone a recipe? I believe that they need continually topping up with oodles of booze!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:37 pm

If cooking equipment and staying in the wife's good books is your aim then splash out and get her a Thermomix.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
If cooking equipment and staying in the wife's good books is your aim then splash out and get her a Thermomix.
BOTH ? Lucky lady.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:25 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BOTH ? Lucky lady.
Keeps you in the good books :mrgreen:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:48 pm

:mrgreen:

its not the only present but ive bought one now anyway, was only £25 from amazon so may as well wrap it up...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Stocking filler anyone?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Is it possible to make a decent Christmas cake within two weeks, and if so, has anyone a recipe? I believe that they need continually topping up with oodles of booze!
You could knock up a seriously boozy tiramasu, pretty much overnight...I found this to be a decent fallback...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:03 pm

I've come to the conclusion that my local Indian has a new chef. By dint of the fact that the garlic chilli I normally get has just removed my lips. Might try the korma next time...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Is it possible to make a decent Christmas cake within two weeks, and if so, has anyone a recipe? I believe that they need continually topping up with oodles of booze!
Jamie Oliver's is the best online:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/rec ... stmas-cake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Add extra booze and more fruit and cook at a much lower temperature for longer with a tray of water in the bottom of the oven - and if you really want to cheat, supermarkets sell pre-soaked fruit.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/rec ... stmas-cake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Add extra booze and more fruit and cook at a much lower temperature for longer with a tray of water in the bottom of the oven - and if you really want to cheat, supermarkets sell pre-soaked fruit.
Cheers, Chef. To share the tale, Mum got rushed into hospital again on Friday, so I said that I'll put Christmas dinner on for the folks this year. Any tips on making this as easy as possible will be greatly appreciated.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

If you really want to cheat, they sell Christmas cakes... :-)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:40 am

Enjoyed a meal yesterday at Steak & Lobster in the Raddison Hotel in Manc, near the Midland.

That's the name of the restaurant and thats the menu too. They make a big deal of the fact that you can have 'this or that', but there are a few variations on the theme.

The food was good, well cooked and tasty, and plentiful with as much fries and salad as you want, and the surroundings were plush, the staff great but the place was dead. There were three of us and otherwise one other couple were in the huge room.

So, as much as I enjoyed it I wouldn't go again, I don't think.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:34 pm

My mates son works in the kitchen there Clappers. He spent 2 hours on his first day searching the freezer for a leg of salmon.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.