Ryanair's Latest Surcharge

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Ryanair's Latest Surcharge

Post by ratbert » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:07 pm

...a tax on fat passengers. As voted for by passengers! :roll:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 376479.ece

Frandsen08
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frandsen08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29 pm

i'll believe it when it happens the sun is the worst tabloid paper ever, they once quoted that wayne 'shrek' rooney was going to be the new member of westlife

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Frandsen08 wrote:i'll believe it when it happens the sun is the worst tabloid paper ever, they once quoted that wayne 'shrek' rooney was going to be the new member of westlife
Do you remember when Challenger blew up on take-off? (whaddaya mean some people aren't old enough to?) Well, two days later and I get off the bus at Moor Lane to go to work. I go over to the news stand and all the papers are still full to busting with it; questioning how this could possibly have happened, profiles of the crew, possible consequences and so on. Not so the old 'Super Soaraway', which instead lead with: Eastenders News - Den Gets Most Fanmail. I can still picture it.

I was 19 years old then, I'm 42 now, and I've never bought the fecking thing once!
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:16 pm

The rule has been voted for by 45,000 people...and folk want to inflict this democracy on the rest of the uncaring globe. Feck me, imagine if this lot ran the country. I mean REALLY ran the country

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:27 pm

This whole thing confuses me. Are people voting that companies should be able to charge a different price for a person based on what they look like now?

Do pregnant women count in this?

How fat is fat? If you can fit in the seat are you okay?

Seeing this kind of thing, in this day an age is actually rather frightening.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:42 pm

FD wrote:This whole thing confuses me. Are people voting that companies should be able to charge a different price for a person based on what they look like now?

Next they'll be voting for bald people to pay extra on account of their shiny heads being offensive!

Its crazy. Aren't ryanair making people pay to go to the toilet on their planes too?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:53 pm

FD wrote:If you can fit in the seat are you okay?
Well, I once had to fly across America whilst sat next to a sweating mound that couldn't, and it was most unpleasant, believe me.

I wouldn't mind Ryanair and the likes introducing a charge for people that want to tilt their seats back. That should deter one or two.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
FD wrote:If you can fit in the seat are you okay?
Well, I once had to fly across America whilst sat next to a sweating mound that couldn't, and it was most unpleasant, believe me.

I wouldn't mind Ryanair and the likes introducing a charge for people that want to tilt their seats back. That should deter one or two.
I agree inconsiderate fecks. £50 a tilt should do!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:02 pm

You can't do it based on BMI - it just won't work that way and is irrelevant with regards to this. Even if it was appropriate, what do they suggest? Weighing and measuring passengers who look a little portly on check in or having a tick box on the website next to the one where you mark whether you want to take any luggage saying 'Are you a fat bastard?'.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
FD wrote:This whole thing confuses me. Are people voting that companies should be able to charge a different price for a person based on what they look like now?

Next they'll be voting for bald people to pay extra on account of their shiny heads being offensive!

Its crazy. Aren't ryanair making people pay to go to the toilet on their planes too?
Oh come on, it's a joke poll and a PR stunt (bizarrely).

But there is at least some attraction to the logic of saying that it doesn't seem especially fair that a slim person might be charged at a very penal rate if their bag is over a certain weight, whereas a 25 stone bloke doesn't pay any extra for his unusually large contribution to what the aviation fuel has to propel through the air....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:13 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But there is at least some attraction to the logic of saying that it doesn't seem especially fair that a slim person might be charged at a very penal rate if their bag is over a certain weight, whereas a 25 stone bloke doesn't pay any extra for his unusually large contribution to what the aviation fuel has to propel through the air....
By that logic I presume you'll be giving a discount to small people. Good news for Sammy Lee and Gertie.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:16 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But then on the flip side the small person has the choice to bring their luggage, whereas fatty can't leave a few of his spare tyres at home.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:21 pm

jimbo wrote:You can't do it based on BMI - it just won't work that way and is irrelevant with regards to this. Even if it was appropriate, what do they suggest? Weighing and measuring passengers who look a little portly on check in or having a tick box on the website next to the one where you mark whether you want to take any luggage saying 'Are you a fat bastard?'.
Maybe a "let's all be fat friends together section of seating", a "we want to tilt and sleep section" and a "fxxk off will you, I just want to sit here, read and get it over as quickly as possible" area. :mrgreen:

Seriously, flying isn't the great fun adventure some people see it as. Travelling to L.A. last year we had one unfortunate lad, of about twenty, with some syndrome or other sat in the row in front of us. He just sat there rocking backwards and forwards quite vigourously the whole time (he might have nodded off a couple of times but not for long). Try eleven hours of that and the patience wears a litttle thin even in the saint's section. Lord knows how his poor mother coped.

Leg room and general movement are minimal in the great "pack a few more in" directive on passenger comfort. Ryanair are not particularly known for caring much one way or the other.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
jimbo wrote:You can't do it based on BMI - it just won't work that way and is irrelevant with regards to this. Even if it was appropriate, what do they suggest? Weighing and measuring passengers who look a little portly on check in or having a tick box on the website next to the one where you mark whether you want to take any luggage saying 'Are you a fat bastard?'.
Maybe a "let's all be fat friends together section of seating", a "we want to tilt and sleep section" and a "fxxk off will you, I just want to sit here, read and get it over as quickly as possible" area. :mrgreen:

Seriously, flying isn't the great fun adventure some people see it as. Travelling to L.A. last year we had one unfortunate lad, of about twenty, with some syndrome or other sat in the row in front of us. He just sat there rocking backwards and forwards quite vigourously the whole time (he might have nodded off a couple of times but not for long). Try eleven hours of that and the patience wears a litttle thin even in the saint's section. Lord knows how his poor mother coped.

Leg room and general movement are minimal in the great "pack a few more in" directive on passenger comfort. Ryanair are not particularly known for caring much one way or the other.
Last time I flew long haul was on the way back from Vancouver so a similar length flight to yours. Some woman on the row behind threw up violently everywhere on take off leaving the lingering stench of vomit for the whole 12 hours of the flight. To make it worse, I'm one of those people who reacts rather badly to that smell.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:30 pm

Fly BMI - what a good idea!

Hang on a minute...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:31 pm

jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Last time I flew long haul was on the way back from Vancouver so a similar length flight to yours. Some woman on the row behind threw up violently everywhere on take off leaving the lingering stench of vomit for the whole 12 hours of the flight. To make it worse, I'm one of those people who reacts rather badly to that smell.
There are folks who react well to it? :shock:

:mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 pm

jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I've also suffered coming back from Vancouver. Mainly because some dimwit damaged the cargo door at Calgary, leaving us sat on the runway for three hours.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:36 pm

They'll probably ban people from smoking next!

Goerge Orwell told our fortunes a long time ago.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

There are folks who react well to it? :shock:

:mrgreen:
Let's just say some have a stronger stomach than others :vomit: :mrgreen:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:49 pm

FD wrote:They'll probably ban people from smoking next!

Goerge Orwell told our fortunes a long time ago.
And maybe people will be forced to wear seatbelts!

:roll:

How you can shoe-horn Orwell into this is anyone's guess. If a private company did decide it wanted to charge passengers on its aircraft by the kilo, it should be entitled to, and the market would dole our the appropriate reward or punishment. Nothing to do with government.

As I have mentioned in another thread, I watched Lives of Others on Monday, set in 1984, as it happens... Orwell was writing about and warning against the sort of totalitarianism that did eventually prevail in Eastern Europe.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families