Happy St .George's Day

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Do you celebrate it?

Yes got to keep the St George cross flying
50%
Nope, been hijacked by the BNP and the Sun and turned into a political football
3%
Nope im Scottish/Irish/Scouse
6%
Don't care to be honest
41%

Total votes: 32

screech powers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Happy St .George's Day

Post by screech powers » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:49 am

Whislt this day is usually hijacked by the tabloids as a political football, thought id wish everyone a happy St George's day.

Any plans to celebrate?

I shall be attending the annual St George's party at the inlaws this Saturday :pissed:
Life is not like a box of chocolates , it is infact , like a box of chuck norris roundhouse kicking you in the face. And if you recieve a box of chuck norris , you always know what your gonna get.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 am

Oh yes. Any excuse to drink lots of beer. One of my locals has got a mini beer festival on with brews from around the country.
Wonder if work'll let me have tomorrow off?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:05 am

Really don't give a shiny one. I accept that there's aspects of being English to be proud of, but there are also lots of aspects of being English that make me shudder and ashamed. Therefore, no point in celebrating something that I don't really have that much passion towards.

I'm English, and also British. End of. No need to proud of it. Just am.

All this gubbins about "oh, let's all campaign to stop St George's Day being banned" that's been doing the rounds for the past five or so years is the most stupid argument I've ever known, as well. I've yet to see any proof of anyone "banning" St. George's Day. It's usually reasoned with "well, we do so much for St. Patrick's day, so why not for St. George's Day?". Well, the Irish community do a lot for St. Patrick's Day, and a lot of English tag along for the excuse of getting ripped to the tits on green Guinness. Which isn't really cause for the baying of blood because every Englishman doesn't get ripped to the tits on Old Peculiar.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 am

They do a special menu at the canteen at work, that's about as far as my celebrations will go.

Maybe a couple of drinks after work. Maybe. Though to be honest I'd be lying if I was to say it was to celebrate today. Don't really care that much.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Really don't give a shiny one. I accept that there's aspects of being English to be proud of, but there are also lots of aspects of being English that make me shudder and ashamed. Therefore, no point in celebrating something that I don't really have that much passion towards.

All this gubbins about "oh, let's all campaign to stop St George's Day being banned" that's been doing the rounds for the past five or so years is the most stupid argument I've ever known, as well. I've yet to see any proof of anyone "banning" St. George's Day. It's usually reasoned with "well, we do so much for St. Patrick's day, so why not for St. George's Day?". Well, the Irish community do a lot for St. Patrick's Day, and a lot of English tag along for the excuse of getting ripped to the tits on green Guinness. Which isn't really cause for the baying of blood because every Englishman doesn't get ripped to the tits on Old Peculiar.
Bla blah blah. Sod all that. Lets get "ripped to the tits" as you put it. :pissed:

screech powers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by screech powers » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Really don't give a shiny one. I accept that there's aspects of being English to be proud of, but there are also lots of aspects of being English that make me shudder and ashamed. Therefore, no point in celebrating something that I don't really have that much passion towards.

St Patricks day is really more of a long winded advert for Guiness. If Guiness did'nt send all the pubs fancy crap to decorate their pubs with or they did'nt make silly hats , then i doubt anyone would take the slightest bit of notice. Can anyone think of any St Paddy related items that does'nt have 'Guiness' emblazed all across it??
Life is not like a box of chocolates , it is infact , like a box of chuck norris roundhouse kicking you in the face. And if you recieve a box of chuck norris , you always know what your gonna get.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:16 am

St George (patron saint of our country) doesn't have his day celebrated officially anyway. Probably less the fault of anyone who might object and more our own laxity in seeing it as mattering. My dad was Irish and had shamrock sent over to him by relations every St Patrick's Day. He never drank a pint of Guinness in his life. Just commenting. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 am

screech powers wrote:

St Patricks day is really more of a long winded advert for Guiness. If Guiness did'nt send all the pubs fancy crap to decorate their pubs with or they did'nt make silly hats , then i doubt anyone would take the slightest bit of notice. Can anyone think of any St Paddy related items that does'nt have 'Guiness' emblazed all across it??
Don't Bombardier do that for St George's Day? They seem to try and push the day, but people still see cause to stomp their feet in consternation because "the day's been banned".

St George's Day seems to be one long advert for arguing about the existence of St George's Day, amid accusations of Government incompetency and general racism. Which is about as English as it gets.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 am

Got to keep the flag flying.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:35 am

I'm quite proud to be English, but don't need to fly a flag or wear a rose to show that. Let other people do so, but it's not that important to me personally.

That said, I do find the encouragement to have English people celebrate St Patrick's Day odd (apart from the obvious getting shedded excuse). Try and foist a St George's Day celebration on Eire and not-so-merry hell would break loose.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 am

Stopped giving a shiny shite about it a few years back, when some trolleyed up scrote in his England top had a go at my mate's stunning Macedonian girlfriend for wearing her nations shirt. (He though it disrespectful to the 'English celebreations').. He wanted to rip my teeth out when I explained that St George wasn't even English and probably never even set foot in this country, he was even more baffled when I explained that a third of Europe celebrate it, particularly the Germans, Italians and parts of Spain.

It's these uneducated w*nkstains that make my blood boil on day's like today, it isn't about National Pride (which I don't have much of, outside of sport) but they won't have it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:43 am

ratbert wrote:I'm quite proud to be English, but don't need to fly a flag or wear a rose to show that. Let other people do so, but it's not that important to me personally.

That said, I do find the encouragement to have English people celebrate St Patrick's Day odd (apart from the obvious getting shedded excuse). Try and foist a St George's Day celebration on Eire and not-so-merry hell would break loose.
As the folks in Northern Ireland will no doubt attest to. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:Stopped giving a shiny shite about it a few years back, when some trolleyed up scrote in his England top had a go at my mate's stunning Macedonian girlfriend for wearing her nations shirt. (He though it disrespectful to the 'English celebreations').. He wanted to rip my teeth out when I explained that St George wasn't even English and probably never even set foot in this country, he was even more baffled when I explained that a third of Europe celebrate it, particularly the Germans, Italians and parts of Spain.

It's these uneducated w*nkstains that make my blood boil on day's like today, it isn't about National Pride (which I don't have much of, outside of sport) but they won't have it.
Birthplace of St. George, apparently.

I won't be celebrating any more than I do for St.David, St Andrew or St Patrick.

I'm British and therefore I reserve my celebration, not like those meditteranean johnnies! :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Ah yes, lets celebrate a Turk from Italy day. How english

I don't celebrate it hugely, though I'm in a respectful white shirt and red tie. But then again, I haven't drank on Paddy's Day etc since I left uni so don't feel like too much of a hypocrite

It would be nice to have more national pride etc, it would be nice to have something to feel proud about

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Stopped giving a shiny shite about it a few years back, when some trolleyed up scrote in his England top had a go at my mate's stunning Macedonian girlfriend for wearing her nations shirt. (He though it disrespectful to the 'English celebreations').. He wanted to rip my teeth out when I explained that St George wasn't even English and probably never even set foot in this country, he was even more baffled when I explained that a third of Europe celebrate it, particularly the Germans, Italians and parts of Spain.

Birthplace of St. George, apparently.

I won't be celebrating any more than I do for St.David, St Andrew or St Patrick.

I'm British and therefore I reserve my celebration, not like those meditteranean johnnies! :wink:
Which is the reason for her sporting the shirt on that day

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Couldn't care less, care even less about St Patricks day, just a gimmick pushed by brewers, card shops and Americans who seem to like to say they are any other nationality (esp Irish or Italian) than they do being American!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm

I think to be fair it is more celebrated now than 2 or 3 years ago, it seems to have gained popularity. a lot of people to my disgust could not tell you what day st Georges day was a few years ago, but this morning there were loads of cars flyinf flags, flags hanging out of windows, pubs drapped in flags - and quite right too!

Many people, proud to be English but didnt feel the need to stick it up pepole noses like the Irish, have more recently become threatened by the influx other other nations and cultures and therefore, have started to make more of an effort?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:I think to be fair it is more celebrated now than 2 or 3 years ago, it seems to have gained popularity. a lot of people to my disgust could not tell you what day st Georges day was a few years ago, but this morning there were loads of cars flyinf flags, flags hanging out of windows, pubs drapped in flags - and quite right too!

Many people, proud to be English but didnt feel the need to stick it up pepole noses like the Irish, have more recently become threatened by the influx other other nations and cultures and therefore, have started to make more of an effort?
So it's nothing more than Seige mentality?

SuperWhiteWarrior
Promising
Promising

Post by SuperWhiteWarrior » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:36 pm

I've seen a good few flags today hanging from peoples windows, on their cars etc.
Where The One And Only Wanderers

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:42 pm

I like to celebrate all things British on this hallowed day.

Wake up, smoke a snout, put it out in last nights beer can. Put my union jack underpants on, and my union jack tie.

Go to work, crack one out in the toilet, have lunch at McDonalds, back to work.

Finish work, go to the pub, have a heavy session drinking day-glo blue WKD's, start several fights, shag a cheap tart in the alley around 11pm.

On the way home commit some random acts of violence on people who look different to me, not forgetting some property destruction and colourful graffiti.

When I get home, beat my wife up then go to sleep.

Only jokin, I'm proud of our great nation, but I am in a really odd mood today...sorry! :?