Florida Advice

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Florida Advice

Post by enrdentw » Fri May 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Booked a holiday for me and my girlfriend for 2 weeks to Orlando, Florida. Got a cracking deal for £380 pp!

Anyway, its my first time over there and I am wanting advice as to where the best places to go are, theme parks, attractions and any other areas of interest etc?

We wont be hiring a car for insurance costs (im only 22) but we are staying on international drive and have the facility of free shuttle buses etc.

So if you have been to Florida or can offer any advice, your help will be much appreciated, its a huge place and we just want to make sure we go to the best places and avoid the "waste of time" places.

Cheers in advance!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri May 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Most of the attractions are in Kissimee a few miles south of Orlando (a car would be useful but I imagine you can survive with public transport). DisneyWorld probably takes about four days. Universal Studios was worth a visit. Seaworld if you like fish.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri May 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Plan, plan,plan. The guidebooks show you what's where. Make thinking it through part of the holiday build up.

Get to the parks early & be prepared for long days. The most popular rides have long queues, but they've developed a priority scheme so you can jump a couple. The parks have parades ... in the evening these are heavily watched and, as a result, the ride queues are hugely reduced and you can more or less walk onto even the most popular rides. This is late, but well worth it.

Do a park one day & take a break the next. Otherwise you'll be cream crackered.

Food on the parks is expensive so see if you can bring some with you. They don't like that, but ... .

Try not to carry too much clutter as it'll bog you down after a while.

There are loads & loads of vouchers in brochures, fliers etc. These are genuine savings on food & drink & can save you a fortune.

There are great "eat all you can for $x" offers ... especially breakfasts. They'll set you up for the day.

On the "off" days go down-town (city centre) and to places like Winter Park ... a suburban area, 3m NE of the centre, with a nice lake & boat trips showing you the millionaires homes. Or the lakes south of Kissimme where you go 'gator searching on fan-boats (the big buggers with huge fans on the back which skim the shallow water lakes ... absolutely fantastic). Both of these though I'm not sure how you'd access without a car.

Don't go all British & think you can wander around the streets, drunk, in a football shirt, singing "Enger-land ..." whilst drinking from a bottle. Well, not if you don't want a tour of a US jail as part of your experience.

It's a fantastic experience. Expensive, but worth it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 09, 2009 9:56 am

bobo the clown wrote:There are loads & loads of vouchers in brochures, fliers etc. These are genuine savings on food & drink & can save you a fortune.
Good post Bobo. Just picked out this bit, as in the UK we often tend to ignore this sort of brochure ware, but I did notice on trips to Florida, that the Americans seem more than happy to present "coupons" for just about anything and take advantage of the savings on offer - so like the man said, worth keeping an eye out.

If you like seafood (and it's still there) the Boston Lobster Feast is like an eat all you can buffet experience for a set fee...Was up near Universal iirc.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Sat May 09, 2009 11:22 am

Don't forget the waterparks! They've wicked over there and are useful for more lazier days.

Like Bobo said, make sure you're up in the park early - i'd recommend going on any of the bigger rides that you want to do as soon as you get into the park so that there is less of a queue.

Main recommendations - Disney Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios, Universal Studios and Sea World.

I'd also very much recommend Busch Gardens, although it is a bit of a trek to get to, especially with no car.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 09, 2009 10:28 pm

Good work on the deal, mate. But if at all possible hire a car and get out of Orlando. Florida's a lovely state - we've got an offer in on a house there, in Sarasota - but Orlando's far from the best of it. And America is, as a rule, completely unusable without your own vee-hickle. It's difficult for the British/Old European mind to comprehend quite how unwelcoming it is. Bill Bryson's written about his amazement at being unable to go from one mall to the its next door neighbour on foot, and it's true. The majority of the country has been built since internal combustion, and it shows.

Above all, and as Bobo said, read up. Get to the library, order other books from them. Print out all relevant corners of the internet, such as Rough Guides/Lonely Planet.

Oh and be prepared to be VERY confused about the American culture of tipping. I can't even start to explain it.

Prepare to be boggled by the massive food portions. I guarantee you will over-order your first meal. These people throw away 25% of their food and appear not to mind, but this makes budget dining very possible. So if the wait staff are pushy, trying to up the bill knowing that ups their percentage tip, stand your ground and say no thanks, that'll do for now, if we're hungry later we'll order some more.

Enjoy the States. It's a mad experience. And get back and see different states, because they can be as different as Wales and Portugal. I can't recommend northern California highly enough, but I'm falling for the best of Florida, having been over there a few times while hunting for the four-bedroom pool house I can afford over there because I haven't bought so much as a two-bed shit-hole in London.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun May 10, 2009 8:10 am

yeah i would not of thought it would be a problem hiring a car at 22? & insurance is always included. plus dont they learn to drive at about 12 over there?

its great having the freedom of a motor abroad, especially in the states - you can explore off the track beaten to death by tourists!

the only places i have been over there, New York, Florida & Las Vegas - are all super geared up for tourists, so its nice to get away from it all for a bit - i like finding bars & diners where locals go who are not used to foreigners - more fun watching their faces when you speak!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 10, 2009 10:13 am

General Mannerheim wrote:i like finding bars & diners where locals go who are not used to foreigners - more fun watching their faces when you speak!
"Are you guys German?"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:i like finding bars & diners where locals go who are not used to foreigners - more fun watching their faces when you speak!
"Are you guys German?"
Yep ... I once got "excuse me .... but do you speak English ??"

" ... as though I were a native" said I.

" ... I'm sorry to have disturbed you" they said & went to another person, who clearly did !

The huge servings are a fact. The first time you experience it you think it's a mistake. You also feel that you have to finish it. Well, you don't. There is no embarrassment in asking for a "carry-away" ... what we'd call a doggy-bag. It's seen as part of the deal. Also, little wrong with sharing a plate, certainly splitting starters or sweet. You WILL over order, you WILL over eat and you will later relise you needn't have. Welcome to America.

DSB ... Sarasota indeed. Fantastic place. I'm a major fan of Anna Maria Island, south of Tampa Bay about 6 miles from there. The most fantastic place. Like a Caribean island with US facilities.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sun May 10, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Not been to Florida, but I'll endorse the lack of a vehicle as a major issue in California (probably all America). The place is so "vast". Staying with my son, there was nowhere to go for a decent walk as the nearest shops were fifteen minutes away by car. I'll also go with the over-feeding thing. Just too much of everything. I'd go so far as to say what I enjoyed most food-wise was a day at the beach with Subway sandwiches. Two months over there and you'd class as obese.

Must say that, on the whole, Americans, at least outside the major cities, are very friendly folk. Falling foul of the law not advised though. Those cops sure don't mess about. One guy in a bar in Santa Monica started acting up a little after having a couple too many. Within three minutes he was on his knees outside and handcuffed with two guns pointed at his head. Not recommended. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun May 10, 2009 3:35 pm

This man is going for a quiet holiday with his girlfriend - he's hardly likely to be getting all drunk and disorderly!

Actually, I have no idea what their relationship is like....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun May 10, 2009 6:21 pm

Having been several times for work...here's my places to go/avoid...

For food avoid Ming Court...some of the most minging (see what I did there) chinese food I've encountered. Olive Garden is average at best. If you want a bit of steak then Charley's Steakhouse is very good. Once voted America's 4th best steakhouse. I had the 32oz Porterhouse which was excellent..if a little large! For a 'British pub' then the Cricketers is nearby. Usual American theme pub but you'll get sport and english beer should you crave it...All these are on International Drive (or I Drive as it's known locally).

At Orlando Pointe there's a cinema if I recall and a Hooters :wink:

For a cheaper steak then Outback Steakhouse is a good option. The soda bread is excellent there.. There is also an art themed restaurant on I Drive that was pretty good. I forget the name of it but it's not far from the Cricketers. They have lots of art on the walls thats for sale. If you ask around the locals will know of it.

Lastly, there is a pirate themed pitch and putt on I Drive that was a good laugh...

I recommend Sea World, wasn't keen on Disney meself, but if you like theme parks I'm sure you'll enjoy. Definitely recommend a car, otherwise getting about is a real pain.

Have a good trip..

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 11, 2009 12:16 am

One other thing - don't speed in Florida. Trundling through Alligator Alley (100-mile long dead-straight east-west freeway built over the Everglades) we saw eight - that's eight - State Patrol cars doling out tickets within one mile. Two men to a car, that's a lot of policepower spent stopping people doing 71mph.

Bobo - will seek out Anna Maria Island, thanks. Drove up some of the keys just off Sarasota up towards Bradenton and they are indeed gorgeous, although overpriced for us. As stated, everybody drives everywhere so we're looking at buying nearer the freeway in Sarasota to get twice the acreage for the money. "Like the Caribbean with US facilities" may well sum it up and appear on the website when we're renting it out :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon May 11, 2009 12:23 am

So you're not selling up and moving for good then, DSB?!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 11, 2009 8:59 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:One other thing - don't speed in Florida. Trundling through Alligator Alley (100-mile long dead-straight east-west freeway built over the Everglades) we saw eight - that's eight - State Patrol cars doling out tickets within one mile. Two men to a car, that's a lot of policepower spent stopping people doing 71mph.
And you only need go as far as the North Wales costal road for that! :evil:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 11, 2009 9:50 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:So you're not selling up and moving for good then, DSB?!
No, not yet... :wink:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:One other thing - don't speed in Florida. Trundling through Alligator Alley (100-mile long dead-straight east-west freeway built over the Everglades) we saw eight - that's eight - State Patrol cars doling out tickets within one mile. Two men to a car, that's a lot of policepower spent stopping people doing 71mph.
And you only need go as far as the North Wales costal road for that! :evil:
Always a pity, as that road's a cracker for pretending you're playing Grand Theft Auto

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 am

Me an my family stayed in Port Charlotte when we went, which is about an hour away from Tampa and a fair few more hours to Orlando. Lovely place though, spent fishing and running around. My dad caught an alligator once. That was interesting.

If yr in Orlando and you want excitement, get down to Tampa somehow and go to Busch Gardens. Seriously, unbelievable. Part from that, Orlando has everything thrill-wise.

I can't comment on anywhere else as I haven't been! :) Sure you'll love it though.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon May 11, 2009 12:18 pm

take a boat out in the gulf, get some serious marlin fishing done!

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon May 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi guys, thank you for responding to my post I am overwhelmed with the responses!

It looks like some really good advice and is making me even more excited about my holiday.

Thanks again for the time and effort in replying. I will let you know how I get on when I get back.

Cheers guys :pray:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Don't you just put your foot to the floor and head for the nearest police jurisdictional boundary, like in all the best Hollywood films? :?