The Ashes 2009

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

The Ashes 2009

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:56 pm

Ok, I've tried to resist starting this for as long as I can but I can wait no longer! The big sporting event of the summer is less than a week away and the warm-up matches are in full swing with some noteable performances from some fringe players causing a few few selection issues for both sides - Does Flintoff play? Who to go for between Harmison and Onions? Do we play 2 spinners at Cardiff? Do Australia even play a spinner?

I can see a close, well matched series though sadly not for the same reasons as 2005 when both sides were 1 and 2 in the world. This year it's more like 3rd V 5th, but home advantage may just help us. 2-1 either way for me!

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:00 pm

Can't wait. Really cleaned up at the bookies with the 5-0 last time out.

Personally I don't think Flintoff should be allowed in the squad following his latest booze shame.

Aussie win for me.
Was right all along

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:02 pm

am sure freddie will play - the Harmison question is more interesting - I am still haunted by his first over out in Oz - I have lost faith in him - but a timely 3-wicket haul will mean the question will be asked....

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Bruno wrote:Can't wait. Really cleaned up at the bookies with the 5-0 last time out.

Personally I don't think Flintoff should be allowed in the squad following his latest booze shame.

Aussie win for me.
I'm not sure about the Aussies this time. Their attack looks exceptionally one dimensional and Ponting is bang out of form. If he has a quiet series then thats half the job done. For a change we seem to have a few decent players with a bit of variety. It'll be close i tells ya!

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Harmisons wide

Jesus, I'd repressed that!
Was right all along

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:07 pm

thebish wrote:am sure freddie will play - the Harmison question is more interesting - I am still haunted by his first over out in Oz - I have lost faith in him - but a timely 3-wicket haul will mean the question will be asked....
He was steaming in yesterday and hit Hughes on the head before bouncing him out, and then hit Ponting a little later. Hughes looked very suspect against his short ball, which may be a factor in the final selection as he's had a sensational start to his career and could be a big player this summer. On the other hand there's Onions who can hit good areas consistently and keep it tight. Then there's the fact Cardiff turns square and whether to pick Panesar or Rashid as a second spinner.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Bruno wrote:Harmisons wide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Y6T44t ... re=related

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:13 pm

thebish wrote:

Whereas it was him who set the tone in 2005 by doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ70wtD-fLA just after hitting Langer.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:16 pm

jimbo wrote:
thebish wrote:

Whereas it was him who set the tone in 2005 by doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ70wtD-fLA just after hitting Langer.
indeed it was - 4 years ago - but somewhere he lost it big time...

I so hope he's got it back - because if he has - with his height and pace (and therefore bounce) - he can be a lethal weapon....

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:16 pm

I can't call this either way to be honest. I suspect England are more up for it though.

Shame there's no Old Trafford test this year. Someone remind me whereabouts in England Cardiff is again?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 pm

ratbert wrote:I can't call this either way to be honest. I suspect England are more up for it though.

Shame there's no Old Trafford test this year. Someone remind me whereabouts in England Cardiff is again?
Cardiff is in the little bit of England that sticks out above cornwall and devon called Waleshire (I think)

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Too true, though LCC earned more from three Take That gigs than they would have in 10 years of cricket (according to the club, anyway).
Was right all along

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:20 pm

The problem with Old Trafford is its a bit of a dump.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:22 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:The problem with Old Trafford is its a bit of a dump.
Fact. But it does stage enthralling cricket matches and England have a good record there. I'll never forget the Monday there in 2005. We got to the ground at about 7 to queue up for tickets and apparently 20,000 were turned away due to demand. What followed was one of the greatest days of cricket ever.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Re: The Ashes 2009

Post by keveh » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:33 pm

jimbo wrote:Ok, I've tried to resist starting this for as long as I can but I can wait no longer! The big sporting event of the summer is less than a week away and the warm-up matches are in full swing with some noteable performances from some fringe players causing a few few selection issues for both sides - Does Flintoff play? Who to go for between Harmison and Onions? Do we play 2 spinners at Cardiff? Do Australia even play a spinner?
20/20 was on a few weeks back jimbo ;)

It's definitely hard to call this one, neither team has been playing at their best so I don't think that it's going to be a white wash for any of them.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:25 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fact. But it does stage enthralling cricket matches and England have a good record there. I'll never forget the Monday there in 2005. We got to the ground at about 7 to queue up for tickets and apparently 20,000 were turned away due to demand. What followed was one of the greatest days of cricket ever.
I turned up at 8, and was turned away about 30 people from the gate. B*stards.

As for Flintoff, I like watching players like that, I'm already lamenting that there'll be no Symonds, so keep him in.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
jimbo wrote:

As for Flintoff, I like watching players like that, I'm already lamenting that there'll be no Symonds, so keep him in.
Flat Jack??

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:34 pm

thebish wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Flat Jack??
Or, as he was known in the later stages of his career, when I remember him best, Fat Jack....

Only to be outdone in that department by Ian Austin.

It remains a great pity that Ian Austin never got a test cap - it's always good to see a fat lad doing well. Makes me feel better about things, generally....
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:48 pm

Puskas wrote:
thebish wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Flat Jack??
Or, as he was known in the later stages of his career, when I remember him best, Fat Jack....

Only to be outdone in that department by Ian Austin.

It remains a great pity that Ian Austin never got a test cap - it's always good to see a fat lad doing well. Makes me feel better about things, generally....

he did open the bowling with Gough in the 1999 world cup... as I recall they always described him as "rolling in to bowl"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Don't let Ian Austin's failure to break through get you down!