Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:03 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:48 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:15 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:50 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:42 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:00 pm
Been told by a few acquaintances and seen in BBC "My News" that a story is trending regarding a woman rescued by the police after overturning a car in a field somewhere. She was instructed to install an app called what3words and hey presto she got rescued.
Intrigued I've just downloaded it. Sat in a cafe in far northwest of Croatia in one seat, having opened and closed the app 37 times, have been given 37 different results. Now, I know Croatia ain't Somerset, but it's still on planet Earth and satellites fly over it.
The unique three words supposedly cover a 3x3 meter square (9 square meters). Even given that GPS isn't always accurate to the square meter, nonetheless 37 different hits means that this app cannot possibly be even close to accuracy across a 21x21m grid, which is a staggering 441 square meters!
I have three words for the app what3words: Pile of Crap.
Nothing to do with the app itself. Problem with GPS accuracy of your phone.

https://communityhealthmaps.nlm.nih.gov ... ne-part-2/
:lol:
That'll be why my Astronomy sky app, my OS map app, my Google map app, my compass app, and every other app that access es GPS doesn't work then!
Only they do.
It will be down to the accuracy demanded by each app I guess. It might also depend on where you are using the apps as signal/3or4G/Wifi all determine accuracy as per that article.

What3words maps down to 3m square - so I'm guessing the standard inaccuracy of say an iphone (5-8M) might not be high enough to resolve such a grid in a repeatably accurate manner....
OS app using my phone's GPS maps down to 1 square meter accuracy on a 9 out of 10 basis. On the 1 out of 10 when it doesn't is because my magnetic clip on my phone's case had upset the GPS alignment. A simple realignment restores accuracy.
What3words is orders of magnitude worse. So many orders that it is useless. Those orders of magnitude are a failure of the app not the phone, or its GPS system.

And still my review is unavailable.... CENSORSHIP!
Tonight I am meeting up with four friends. We will conduct an experiment then...
Four friends? :shock: :D
To be precise, one brother, one sister-in-law, one ex-colleague from a previous job, and an acquaintance of her's I've met several times previously.
So technically, all no friends of mine :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:12 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:03 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:48 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:15 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:50 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:42 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:00 pm
Been told by a few acquaintances and seen in BBC "My News" that a story is trending regarding a woman rescued by the police after overturning a car in a field somewhere. She was instructed to install an app called what3words and hey presto she got rescued.
Intrigued I've just downloaded it. Sat in a cafe in far northwest of Croatia in one seat, having opened and closed the app 37 times, have been given 37 different results. Now, I know Croatia ain't Somerset, but it's still on planet Earth and satellites fly over it.
The unique three words supposedly cover a 3x3 meter square (9 square meters). Even given that GPS isn't always accurate to the square meter, nonetheless 37 different hits means that this app cannot possibly be even close to accuracy across a 21x21m grid, which is a staggering 441 square meters!
I have three words for the app what3words: Pile of Crap.
Nothing to do with the app itself. Problem with GPS accuracy of your phone.

https://communityhealthmaps.nlm.nih.gov ... ne-part-2/
:lol:
That'll be why my Astronomy sky app, my OS map app, my Google map app, my compass app, and every other app that access es GPS doesn't work then!
Only they do.
It will be down to the accuracy demanded by each app I guess. It might also depend on where you are using the apps as signal/3or4G/Wifi all determine accuracy as per that article.

What3words maps down to 3m square - so I'm guessing the standard inaccuracy of say an iphone (5-8M) might not be high enough to resolve such a grid in a repeatably accurate manner....
OS app using my phone's GPS maps down to 1 square meter accuracy on a 9 out of 10 basis. On the 1 out of 10 when it doesn't is because my magnetic clip on my phone's case had upset the GPS alignment. A simple realignment restores accuracy.
What3words is orders of magnitude worse. So many orders that it is useless. Those orders of magnitude are a failure of the app not the phone, or its GPS system.

And still my review is unavailable.... CENSORSHIP!
Tonight I am meeting up with four friends. We will conduct an experiment then...
Four friends? :shock: :D
To be precise, one brother, one sister-in-law, one ex-colleague from a previous job, and an acquaintance of her's I've met several times previously.
So technically, all no friends of mine :D
Ah! Makes sense now. 8)
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:52 pm

Anyway. Four phones (brother's doesn't work abroad) - two Samsung, one Nokia, one unknown; all Android OS.
Me only one who had what3words. Rest downloaded app and we all simultaneously opened up app. Four different what3words.
We all closed app, we all reopened, we all got four different completely different three words. It really is a pile of toss.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:52 pm
Anyway. Four phones (brother's doesn't work abroad) - two Samsung, one Nokia, one unknown; all Android OS.
Me only one who had what3words. Rest downloaded app and we all simultaneously opened up app. Four different what3words.
We all closed app, we all reopened, we all got four different completely different three words. It really is a pile of toss.
I tried it out - got repeatable results mostly. One or two times closing and re-opening gave a different result every 3/4 times (only ever two outputs for one location) but I noted that when I had strong 4G signal that never happened.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:27 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
I tried it out - got repeatable results mostly. One or two times closing and re-opening gave a different result every 3/4 times (only ever two outputs for one location) but I noted that when I had strong 4G signal that never happened.
Where we are we have no 4G, just WiFi. The application is supposed to be a lifesaver that relies on the GPS function in your phone which isn't meant to be reliant on 4G.
It's not a lifesaver if you need a strong 4G signal.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Where we are we have no 4G, just WiFi. The application is supposed to be a lifesaver that relies on the GPS function in your phone which isn't meant to be reliant on 4G.
It might be a coincidence. Like I say best phone accuracy is to resolve to about 5m which is lower than the resolution of the W3W network so that might be an issue. However, if it gets you to within a few metres I don't see the issue.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:53 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
It might be a coincidence. Like I say best phone accuracy is to resolve to about 5m which is lower than the resolution of the W3W network so that might be an issue. However, if it gets you to within a few metres I don't see the issue..
It doesn't. It gets 'us' at best to within a nine by nine three meter square. That is an incredible 729 square meters. Try finding somebody within 729 square meters on Helvellyn's Striding Edge!
OS map app will and does, using the same non-4G dependent GPS function give a 1m square which is reproducible 8 out of 10 times.
The only difference apart from from accuracy is that three words appears to be easier to say than a grid reference. However if giving a grid reference saves your life and giving three words sends a search team 100 meters down a cliff edge away from you, I know which I'd choose.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Getting them in roughly the right area is certainly better than nothing, but if it's not even as accurate as the phone's own maps...

And let's hope you only need help when it's light!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:24 pm

Jesus H Christ...

BBC News - Fund to boost female and black physicist numbers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47612806

Quote: Currently, 22% of the cohort studying physics to A Level are girls. (In contrast, 63% of the biology entrants are female).

So. Only 37% of the cohort studying biology are boys. :hang: but nobody gives a fxck about that, especially if they're white!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:30 am

Watched a program about the stabbings last night and I'm fecking fuming!
Faced with CCTV evidence of both their presence and participation the fcukers just sat there no comment, no comment, totally refusing to talk. Now I know the squeamish on here don't like it but strapped to a wall in chains with a blow torch lit in front of their balls these 'ard boys' would squeal like pigs, it is what's needed now to stop these bloody animals.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:24 pm
Jesus H Christ...

Quote: Currently, 22% of the cohort studying physics to A Level are girls. (In contrast, 63% of the biology entrants are female).

So. Only 37% of the cohort studying biology are boys. :hang: but nobody gives a fxck about that, especially if they're white!
I see Jon Snow of Channel 4 News made some vacuous comment about the Brexit march and having never seen so many white people in one place.

Are opinions no longer relevant if we don't have a token black? Will Scientific American/Nature start to refuse to publish papers unless they are jointly authored by non whites? Will the population of Codnor be forcibly split up and transported to Tottenham?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:25 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Jesus H Christ...

I see Jon Snow of Channel 4 News made some vacuous comment about the Brexit march and having never seen so many white people in one place.

Are opinions no longer relevant if we don't have a token black? Will Scientific American/Nature start to refuse to publish papers unless they are jointly authored by non whites? Will the population of Codnor be forcibly split up and transported to Tottenham?
What is it about anti-racists that they are so racist, anti-fascists that they are so fxcking fascist?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:26 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:25 pm
What is it about anti-racists that they are so racist, anti-fascists that they are so fxcking fascist?
Why is it folk that know everything generally know so little?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:20 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:26 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Don'tcha mean "people who think they know everything". People who do know everything don't exist.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:20 pm
Enoch wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:26 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Don'tcha mean "people who think they know everything". People who do know everything don't exist.
Well, yeah, I did but I thought it kinda read better my way.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Jesus H Christ...

What is racist about saying "never seen so many white people in one place"? Probably inaccurate unless Jon Snow has never been to a premiership football match - but I digress.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:26 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Jesus H Christ...

What is racist about saying "never seen so many white people in one place"? Probably inaccurate unless Jon Snow has never been to a premiership football match - but I digress.
Because it's irrelevant to the observation unless you intended it to mean something by stating the fact.
That's why it becomes racist.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Jesus H Christ...

Because it's irrelevant to the observation unless you intended it to mean something by stating the fact.
If that's the logic chain you apply to statements then you've spent a hell of a lot of time arguing with me about what is/isn't racist about things that under that same definition are clearly racist.

Its racist if Snow was inferring that being on a Brexit march was a negative thing and that being white meant you were more inclined to indulge in such behaviour. I'm unconvinced he was doing either. But if he was then I'm with you.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Jesus H Christ...

If that's the logic chain you apply to statements then you've spent a hell of a lot of time arguing with me about what is/isn't racist about things that under that same definition are clearly racist.

Its racist if Snow was inferring that being on a Brexit march was a negative thing and that being white meant you were more inclined to indulge in such behaviour. I'm unconvinced he was doing either. But if he was then I'm with you.
Well, I'm saying he was doing both! He was stating being on a Brexit march was a negative thing (I've listened to him too many times not to catch the biased sarcasm), and he definitely implied that whites tended to these bad things - the sneer was enough to convey the message.

[And I'll still argue with you that Islamophobia isn't racist].
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Jesus H Christ...

Well, I'm saying he was doing both! He was stating being on a Brexit march was a negative thing (I've listened to him too many times not to catch the biased sarcasm), and he definitely implied that whites tended to these bad things - the sneer was enough to convey the message.

[And I'll still argue with you that Islamophobia isn't racist].
It doesn't matter what you define it as. Whether you are discriminating against people because of their sex, race, colour, ethnicity, religion or any other characteristic it is wrong, pure and simple.