Ask Mar

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Kylofski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kylofski » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:14 pm

Kylofski wrote:
Bench wrote:Mar,

What does Taliesin mean in Celtic mythology? :wink:
Sorry Mar but found this for M'Lord Bench

TALIESIN: Clever Wizardy God.

Do you remember the witchy Goddess CERIDWEN and her cauldron of knowledge, and her servant lad GWION-BACH? Well this is him after he got thrown into the sea. He was clever enough to get himself caught in a fish trap and thereby rescued.

Delighted with his cleverness, he decided to re-name himself TALIESIN or 'Shining Brow'. He went on to become Wizard, Bard and Prophet - now there's clever.
More

TALIESIN

The Welsh wizard bard, he began life as Gwion bach, aservant to the witch Cardiwen, who was one day mixing a great concoction which, aftera year's boiling, would yield three blessed drops. Whoever swallowed these dropswould know all the secrets of the past, present and future. Helping to tend the firebeneath the cauldron, Gwion Bach's hand was scorched by some of the drippingliquid, and before Cardiwen could stop him, he had sucked his finger, and received theknowledge.Enraged, the witch chased the boy, finally catching him, after numerous transformations, in the shape of a hen while he took the form of a grain of wheat.Thrown into the sea at last, he was caught in a fish trap, and called Taliesin by thosewho saw him, because of his radiant brow. He went on to become one of the mostaccomplished wizards and sages in the kingdom.
http://www.bcbfc.co.uk/ Bolton County Bears FC

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:17 pm

You sod. Thought someone might go and do something like that (the BENCH question, not KYLOFSKI's response).

Anyway, like the rest of the questions, here the response.

TALIESIN means Clever Wizardy God.

Story has it that a Witch Goddess CERIDWEN had a couldren of knowledge and a servant lad called GWION-BACH. GWION-BACH got thrown into the sea and using his cleverness got himself caught in a fish trap and was thereby rescued.

Delighted with his cleverness, he decided to re-name himself TALIESIN or 'Shining Brow'. He went on to become Wizard, Bard and Prophet - now there's clever.

Another story has it that:

Ceridwen was a magician who features in the mythical version of the life of the genuine bard Taliesin. Ceridwen had an ugly son, Afagddu ("ugly"), whom she wished to make wise. She brewed a magical liquid and had her kitchen boy Gwion tend it. Three drops scalded his hand and he licked them off, instantly acquiring all the knowledge. In an ancient, ancient hunt she pursued him: first she became a greyhound and he a hare, then she an otter and he a fish, then she a hawk and he a rabbit. Finally, she became a hen and he a grain of corn, and she ate him. She became pregnant with him and he was born nine months later, a boy of astounding grace and beauty whom she named Taliesin and put into a coracle in the sea.

You can find more about Celtic mythology by following the site this link:
http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/celt ... y=TALIESIN

I'm sure theres a few more out there aswell for you. But being neither Celtic nor a 2nd century wizard I wouldn't know which ones which.

Taliesin seems to mean clever however.
Last edited by Mar on Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kylofski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kylofski » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:20 pm

Mar wrote:You sod. Thought someone might go and do something like that (the BENCH question, not KYLOFSKI's response).

Anyway, like the rest of the questions, here the response.

TALIESIN means Clever Wizardy God.

Story has it that a Witch Goddess CERIDWEN had a couldren of knowledge and a servant lad called GWION-BACH. GWION-BACH got thrown into the sea and using his cleverness got himself caught in a fish trap and was thereby rescued.

Another story has it that:

Ceridwen was a magician who features in the mythical version of the life of the genuine bard Taliesin. Ceridwen had an ugly son, Afagddu ("ugly"), whom she wished to make wise. She brewed a magical liquid and had her kitchen boy Gwion tend it. Three drops scalded his hand and he licked them off, instantly acquiring all the knowledge. In an ancient, ancient hunt she pursued him: first she became a greyhound and he a hare, then she an otter and he a fish, then she a hawk and he a rabbit. Finally, she became a hen and he a grain of corn, and she ate him. She became pregnant with him and he was born nine months later, a boy of astounding grace and beauty whom she named Taliesin and put into a coracle in the sea.

I'm sure theres a few more out there. But being neither Celtic nor a 2nd century wizard I wouldn't know which ones which.

Taliesin seems to mean clever.
thats the same as i got isnt it Mar
http://www.bcbfc.co.uk/ Bolton County Bears FC

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:25 pm

Yeah, but as I was posting the response to Bench's question to me. You snuck in and did it first, so I edited mine to make more sense and rather than detracting my original post, I left it up there for Bench to see. Save having wasted time searching for it.

Dreadfully sorry if I answered a question that was posed to me. I'll get back in my box shall I?

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:18 pm

Mar,

Following a heated debate with a mate, could you please clearly define the difference between lager and beer?
Smarties have answers.....

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:32 pm

Bench,

Bitter is top-fermented, hoppy, dry, and lightly carbonated.
Lager is made with a bottom fermenting yeast, and are characteristically "smooth, elegant, crisp, and clean.

Lagers -
Lagers are brewed using a "bottom-fermenting yeast". This kind of yeast sinks to the bottom of the wort to do most of its work. Lager yeast also likes much cooler temperatures, between 35-50 degrees Fahrenheit, and much longer fermentation periods, like 3 weeks to 3 months or more. "Lager" is a German word meaning to lay down or store.
Lager brewing produces very clean, crisp beers. They're not as complex as ales because some of the flavor compounds settle out during the long, cold fermentation. Lagers are also served at cooler temperatures, closer to their fermentation temperature.
Lagers represent the largest volume of beer sold today. Most of the large international breweries are producing lagers.

Bitter -
Bitter is a type of ale, originally derived from pale ale. A stronger version has become a popular bottled beer. The main ingredient is malted barley, with hops only added to improve the keeping properties and give a distinctive smell and taste.

Bitter covers a wide variety of taste, aroma and appearance. These include copper, malty, dry and sweet, while some have the aroma of hops. In Yorkshire the bitter tends to have a creamy head, whilst in the South East England the beer is generally more hoppy and served without a head.

In Scotland Bitter is commonly referred to as "heavy"; as in "A pint of heavy".

Personally my thoughts are that Bitter is just a sharper taste than a Lager and they look darker than the others with the name derived from the brewing style. Also they tend to have a larger amount of head when poured.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:35 pm

Not really what I was after.

The heated argument with said mate was that he was obviously 'southern' and therefore 'soft' as he was drinking lager, and not bitter like the rest of us. He retorted that it was in fact 'French premium beer' (it was Kronenburg) and therefore far stronger. To this I replied he was talking utter bollocks and that lager was lager, however you dressed it up. It was a version of 'fizzy pop'.

So I ask again - what, if any, is the discernible difference between lager and beer?
Smarties have answers.....

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:54 pm

Sorry misread Beer for Bitter..

Well, Lager is a Beer.

Your comparison is like comparing a Dalmation to the Dog Family. Its a part of it just with minor differences.

Beer can have varying styles of fermentation like Ales whereas a Lager is specifically set to a specific form of fermentation.

Your mate, saying that he's drinking a 'Premium Beer' rather than a Lager and saying it is much stronger is probably about right as Ales can be stronger than Lager. With Kronenburg not mentioning it as Premium Lager it means its more likely be to be brewed differently than actual Lager to get a stronger taste.

But like you said, Lager is still a Lager and i'd stand by that.

The only discenible difference is Beers contain Ale like qualities whereas Lagers are stuck to a certain specification of make.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:04 pm

Bench,

I suspect you are trying to convey to your mate that he is a cissy for drinking lager. A perfectly laudable aim.

Try this. Bitter is brewed with seeded hops whereas lager is brewed with seedless hops. So your mates beer has effectively had it's nuts chopped off.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:15 pm

warthog wrote:Bench,

I suspect you are trying to convey to your mate that he is a cissy for drinking lager. A perfectly laudable aim.

Try this. Bitter is brewed with seeded hops whereas lager is brewed with seedless hops. So your mates beer has effectively had it's nuts chopped off.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:36 pm

warthog wrote:Bench,

Well said that man.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:38 pm

holla, check out-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

for da 411 on all the different beers ..

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:05 am

Mar, I have a question on film editing. Perhaps you could explain Deluze's concepts of movement-image and time-image?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:37 pm

Piece of pi**! Hit him with it, Mar!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Ratbert,

Concept 1: The Movement Image (Pre WW2 Cinema & Hollywood)

The movement image consists of characters in positions dictated by the narrative from which they perceive things, react, and take action in accordance to the events around them.

The movement-image is a form of spatialized cinema: time determined and measured by movement.

Concept 2: The Time Image (Modernist Films)

The Time Image consists of characters being placed in situations where they are unable to react in an immediate fashion.

The effects mentioned in the Time Image concept by Deleuze are prevalent within Taratino's work. Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers are examples of where the cinematic effects are best undertaken.

Now I wouldn't necessarily say that this is what makes Tarantino great, but I would however say its certainly an effect of his cinematography that makes his work standout somewhat differently than other artists.

For the sake of not spoiling Pulp Fiction for those who haven't seen it, i'll use Kill Bill's opening 5-10 minutes as an example (won't give too much away).

In the opening scene of Kill Bill, you see 'The Bride' having a fight with a woman. Now when you're watching this scene, you have no clue whatsoever as to why they're fighting other than the minor comments mentioned within the dialog.

Skip ahead a few minutes and you've backtracked to the explanation of why they were fighting and the events that have preceeded the fight. As the movie continues the timeline skips past the opening scene to a later timeline.

At this stage, the audience has peiced together the timeline mentally and are understanding the storyline as the story progresses.

Compare this to movies like the Lion King, Shrek, American Pie and Scream and you have the stark contrast from which the time image can be seen.

In Scream, the storyline continues from the beginning to the end without any skips (the movement image), the characters seen within the movie Scream are acting on the events around them, therefore giving the impression that they are experiencing the event in current time acting on impulses and moving like they would normally.

In Kill Bill, with the storyline skipping, the impression that they are experiencing this in current time disappears and gives way to a different sort of cinematic experience where the viewers start believing that they are watching pre-defined movement and just watching a story unfold.

That might not be the best description of it, so here's another.

When watching family movies, you know whats going to happen as you've already been there, done that, seen the picture. So you're left with the feeling that time is dictated by movement.

When watching Pulp Fiction or Memento, and the storylines hopping about, you have to peice things together to form the actual storyline, so you lose the feeling that time is defined by movement, and get a different understanding of motion within the film.

Hope that covers it.

Cheers to Zulu for the reference information.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:48 pm

Cheers Mar. That helps my next MA assignment get written quicker! Seriously, I've been fighting with bloody Deluze for the best part of a month.

Zulus - the source you gave Mar would be very welcome via PM, thanks!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:43 pm

Mar,
Your advice please. Ive been in the Army for 15 years and in the past few years have been getting more and more frustrated with the direction it is taking. I have been thinking about getting out and getting a job on civvi street but at the same time im only 7 years away from my pention (40 thousand pounds and 450 pounds a month for life) is it worth sticking in a job I am getting more and more frustrated with in order to get finantialy secure but meens im away from my family half the year, or is quality of life the order of the day? After all 7 years is a long time in the Army?
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:32 pm

Soldier,

Your question is very leading, it seems you've already made youre mind up about what you're wanting to do, yet you're just looking for that extra push to go do it.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend either I would suggest you follow what you think is right for you.

What I can recommend however is that you make fully sure that you are making the right decision when you actually do decide upon what you want to do.

If you do decide to leave, make sure you can get a job thats going to make yourself financially secure and provide for what you need. A compromise is probably best here, the retirement fund won't be as high, but under consideration the time spent with your family and friends may well make up for the losses you'll ensue by taking this option. Check whether the army will let you back in if you decide to reconsider and aim for the army pension.

Search for an alternative to your situation within the army. Any position closer to home will definitely help with a settling in period with your family (tensions will be different due to the increased amount of time you spend together compared to previous visits). This will also suit both your needs but won't solve all your problems as the army is still heading in a direction you don't like. I know different positions within the army are harder to come by but its worth looking into to see if anythings available and whether or not you can fill that role. If something does pop up, try for it, something different definitely takes your mind off whats crap about your current job.

If you decide to stay then things will stay the same. You can keep working the routine for another 7 years for that promising pension plan. However, like you said, 7 years is a long time in the army and you need something to help you get through it. Something to take your mind off counting the days till you get the pension and the money. Try not to make it the be all and end all of your role. Try for something different, and even if it makes a slight change, you'll have made it. That'll be something you can be glad about, rather than reflecting on times where you missed family and friends.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:05 am

Wow you really put time and effort into this thred, and its very much welcome :ok: cheers pal, and Ill let you know of my decision once ive talked it over with the wife.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:06 am

Mar, this is a bit personal so let me apologise in advance.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of courtesy, common sense, and general respect shown by members of internet forums to other memebers.

The negativity, hostility and general foolishness is wearing me down to the point I am seeking out pastures new to obtain, quality arguement and reasoned opinion.

Is there anything I can do or is this just a symptom of todays lack of discipline and respect within the modern educational system?