Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:19 am

I'd feel left out if I didn't go now.

Mind there's a comedian and some singists on at our local tonight, billed as "Blackpool comes to the Yew Tree" - Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.

Last night was the German Markets (or Christmas Markets as I believe they're now called). Was good last night as not packed out.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:57 am

Verbal wrote:Today I went to London for the Guardian Student Media Conference. A more informative, intriguing and down right awesome day I havent had for a while.
I was at Civils 2009 Conference in Earl's Court 2 :|

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:05 pm

William the White wrote:
Verbal wrote:Today I went to London for the Guardian Student Media Conference. A more informative, intriguing and down right awesome day I havent had for a while.
That sound fantastic. Tell us more!

And check out the latest pages of the Great Art Debate - the discussion is partly on the ukrainian sand artist you posted on months ago :D
At the beginning, there was a Q&A session with the editor of the Guardian, Alan Rusbridger. A very serious man, but very happy to answer any questions, a couple of which were quite controversial (one about nepotism, as his daughter managed to get a placement at the Guardian, springs to mind). His points on the impact of new media and the economic downturn on the press was also interesting.

We then had a discussion with the deputy editor, two guardian reporters and a channel five producer on 'How to make it in the media'. They could have chosen the reporters better, because both were Oxbridge graduates and both were helped with that fact (epitomoised by Aditya Chakrabortty, who during an interview for an economics journalist post, told the interviewer he had little journalistic training and not much knowledge about economics. The interviewer replied, "That's ok, you're fron Oxford."...the room didn't exactly react well to that, or his smugness.). The message was, basically, work hard and earn your breaks. Nothing new.

The crowd of 180 or so student media types then broke off to different seminar groups. I went for a 'masterclass in investigative journalism', a talk held by Paul Lewis, the guy who broke the story about the death of Ian Tomlinson and the police violence involved. He went through the six days of investigations into it, how his suspicions were first aroused that the 'official line' wasn't the true story, and how he managed to navigate the blocking attempts of the police, editorial pressures and upsetting the family to break the biggest scoop of his career. He also gave us three must-dos for the business; 1) Never trust the official line 2) video is key 3) double check everything. Afterwards, we collared him outside and he was happy to give our paper a more in depth interview about the events. Absolutely fantastic :D

Then we had the keynote speech from Nick Davies, who told us he would "tell us all how to not be a crap journalist". Very funny, engaging and clever man, who also has a well-placed mistrust of official sources. His stuff regarding the CIA and Al-Zaqawi was truly eye opening, as well as his anecdotes about other reporters and the nuances of other papers. Often hilarious, always informative, never boring.

We then broke off into other seminar; I chose the one hosted by Sky News on the impact of twittering (Sky News now has a 'Twitter and Social Media Correspondent', fyi). It was ok, but following Nick Davies was always going to be difficult. It was very much 'YO, YOU YOUNG KIDS, LOOK WHAT WE CAN DO!", which would have been fine if they were as enthuastic about answering the questions from the audience, which they didn't. Still, they were happy enough to discuss finer points one-on-one afterwards, so fair enough.

For the final seminar, I went to one hosted by comment editor Georgina Henry and science writer Adam Rutherford. It was about the develop of comment online, in particular with comment is free and how this has democratised the comment process in a way. It also provided some useful tips on comment writing; don't be boring, check your facts and if someone says 'your article is pointless', then you shouldn't do it. Quite informative, but still very enjoyable and I got to speak to Georgina afterwards regarding my dissertation project, which she seemed very keen in.

An absolute brilliant day, well worth getting the 4.30am coach for and has reaffirmed what I want to do. Would recommend to anyone. :D

Oh, and wiill wander over to the art thread. Ta :D
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:48 am

Well tonight I am going to be missing the Bolton clash, and will be taking most of the evening off to watch the Buzzcocks live in Bangkok at a local club. Figure I will know at least a 100 people there so am expecting to have a blast. If all works out well will try to get them to come back to the pub after wards and have a lock in session since it is a good friend putting on the show. In reality though I will probably get too pissed to be bothered.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:05 pm

seanworth wrote:Well tonight I am going to be missing the Bolton clash, and will be taking most of the evening off to watch the Buzzcocks live in Bangkok at a local club. Figure I will know at least a 100 people there so am expecting to have a blast. If all works out well will try to get them to come back to the pub after wards and have a lock in session since it is a good friend putting on the show. In reality though I will probably get too pissed to be bothered.
Well, I hope you didn't get too pissed so as not to inform all and sundry that tonight's act were formed at BIT!
May the bridges I burn light your way

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:05 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
seanworth wrote:Well tonight I am going to be missing the Bolton clash, and will be taking most of the evening off to watch the Buzzcocks live in Bangkok at a local club. Figure I will know at least a 100 people there so am expecting to have a blast. If all works out well will try to get them to come back to the pub after wards and have a lock in session since it is a good friend putting on the show. In reality though I will probably get too pissed to be bothered.
Well, I hope you didn't get too pissed so as not to inform all and sundry that tonight's act were formed at BIT!
What a blast. Really had an excellent time. The club holds around a 1000 and there were probably 800 there. The club is a real neat place much better than I was expecting but they are used to Thais buying bottles of whiskey. With around 700 whities in attendance the beer was flying. In fact they ran out before the main act and had to bring in another stock which of course was warm. Hate beer with ice, but considering it was around 40 deg in the club I wasn't going to complain.

The BIT comments seemed to be received with just strange looks. Even my friend following up with " my father used to teach at BIT", didn't seem to help. Still my night wasn't spoiled. It has been around 15 years since I've been to a proper gig (Sonic Youth with Foo Fighters and Beasty Boys as the back up). Loved Sonic Youth but not enough to get me in the mood until tonight.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Glad that you had a good time, Sean. 40 deg? Bloody hell! :shock:

I've got Canada's finest at Mcr Uni this Wednesday. Can't wait.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Glad that you had a good time, Sean. 40 deg? Bloody hell! :shock:

Rush?

Alannis Morrissette?

The Mounties?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Glad that you had a good time, Sean. 40 deg? Bloody hell! :shock:

Celine Dion? Enjoy it :wink:
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Bryan Adams. Definitely.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:51 pm

Cruel bastards

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Oooh, didn't know Leonard Cohen was Canadian;

http://www.canadians.ca/top20.htm

Gotta be one of them, s'offishal.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Obviously he's going to see Cliff Thorburn's trick-shot compilation.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Oooh, didn't know Leonard Cohen was Canadian;

That's right and Joni Mitchell as well, but more importantly Pamela Anderson went to school with my brother.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Bryan Adams. Definitely.
I tell you, I'm going to start a thread on 'Above and Beyond The Call of Duty'.

I've sat through two hours of that tedious feck* before as well, all in the name of a leg-over.

Thinking about it, Arcade Fire could well class as being Canada's finest too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:03 pm

seanworth wrote:

That's right and Joni Mitchell as well, but more importantly Pamela Anderson went to school with my brother.
And Neil Young
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:08 pm

It can't be Pammy - she's due to appear in panto in Wimbledon with Brian Blessed and Ruby Wax.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:00 pm

There's always these guys.

http://www.thehip.com/

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:28 pm

Gary The Beaver wrote:There's always these guys.

http://www.thehip.com/
Bloody hell. Had I looked at that earlier, I'd have realised that they were in Holland for most of last week - same as me. I could've welched on a dinner one night and gone!

Hey ho. Roll on Wednesday.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:59 am

Prufrock wrote:
seanworth wrote:

And Neil Young
Sorry but Neil never went to school with my brother.