Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Where are you going tonight?

Post by William the White » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:56 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote: It was a really good night. A real range of poetry - much of it taking the National Poetry Day's official therme - 'LIGHT' - as inspiration. A mix of local poets, published poets, creative writing students, and I loved the poets writing in English, who clearly did not have English as their first language - including the woman who lives and works in Bolton but was born in Nigeria who sang - wonderfully - the opening lines of Genesis - in Yoruba, her first language...

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
the Yoruban looks startling close to the English version!
I know - I'm still puzzled that it sounded quite different when she was singing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Not tonight, but tomorrow afternoon and evening, the dance programme filming reaches an end. Together with the second section of dancers; the younger generation, we're at the old Palais on Bridge Street for a final five hour session together with a live dance band. Not a show, but the filming of all the segments that will eventually make the T.V programmes sometime in January. If you should be in that area early Saturday evening and see a crowd and a load of cameras etc, well, it will be our grand finale. What will happen with the Palais/Ikon, and all the rest of the places it's been in the future, is anybody's guess. It's been done up especially for this event, but beyond that....?

It's all been a great experience, lots of laughs and meeting up with friends old and new. The training has been a bit wearing on a few old knee joints at times and we've been involved in it all since late July. We've danced live on Blackpool North Pier in the middle of the day, been ferried around in a luxury coach surounded by cameras, paid three visits to the Macron including dancing at the Sheffield match, trained at Bolton School, Thornleigh College and a dance school in Bradley Fold and now we're back at the scene of probably the best time of our youthful lives, way back in 1955-6. By the end of Saturday night it will all be over, but it really has been something a bit special for us all. Not so often you can call a story "Twice upon a time".. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:What will happen with the Palais/Ikon, and all the rest of the places it's been in the future, is anybody's guess. It's been done up especially for this event, but beyond that....?
The last I heard was that some geezer was after turning it into one of these 'international buffet' type affairs. Not sure what happened to that though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:What will happen with the Palais/Ikon, and all the rest of the places it's been in the future, is anybody's guess. It's been done up especially for this event, but beyond that....?
The last I heard was that some geezer was after turning it into one of these 'international buffet' type affairs. Not sure what happened to that though.
I heard something similar but nobody appears to know anything definite. On another topic, here's one for you. :)

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/138 ... s_weekend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I heard something similar but nobody appears to know anything definite. On another topic, here's one for you. :)

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/138 ... s_weekend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Tango. I'll look out for that. Although I seem to recall that when I went to the Southport Airshow around four years ago they said that it was the last chance to see it.

It is an absolutely superb specimin though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 am

Worthy4England wrote:The London Oktoberfest has finally arrived. Not a good start as I'm sat in lounge with a load of gobby scousers reminiscing about black and white and talking about Jürgen Klopp. Apologies in advance to anyone I call a cvnt later.
Got there. Posters everywhere saying it was cancelled for the weekend....cvnts.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Last night went to the tiny Empire Theatre in Blackburn to see Justin Moorhouse's latest routine; it's the third time I've seen him. Genuinely warm and funny bloke with a stack of anecdotes. It's a bit more like being in the presence of someone who's very funny, rather than watching a stand-up routine.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:43 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Here's the Vulcan in all its splendour: http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/138 ... _Pictures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Off to the Swan & Cemetery in Bury tonight for a colleagues leaving do. Supposed to be decent grub there and black pudding starter is a shoe in :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Off to the Swan & Cemetery in Bury tonight for a colleagues leaving do. Supposed to be decent grub there and black pudding starter is a shoe in :pissed:
As I recall they have a selection of decent ale in there as well, Harry.

A step into the unknown(ish) for the bon viveurs this evening - Owen's in Rammy. (Where the Buddha Lounge used to be).

I say 'unknown(ish) as I believe the people who've set it up previously had the Red Lion in Hawkshaw.

This brings me on to the black pudding starter. Ordinarily, as Harry attests, an absolute shoe-in. However, I've had the black pudding starter previously in the Red Lion and they served the full pudding along with bacon and cheese sauce. It was too much - I didn't care for my main course as I was full of black pudding.

Hopefully I'll see them serving someone else's before I have to order and make a judgement call though I note from the menu that in Owen's, the black pudding is served with a cheese hash brown, crispy parma ham and mustard mayo.

Anyway - most certainly am looking forward to a few preprandial snifters in the Irwell Brewery first off. :drink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I say 'unknown(ish) as I believe the people who've set it up previously had the Red Lion in Hawkshaw.
Brings back a pleasant memory. Used to go there Friday nights many moons ago.They had the most delicious pastie and peas and a decent pint to boot.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:07 pm

The quite superb Enemy of the People at Th'Octagon. I'm quite sure I've never seen as many powerful performances all being put in at the same time. Only on until Saturday, sooo glad that I got to see it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:05 am

Ce Soir - Death Cab for Cutie avec Bijou Bob at The Academy. Are the trains back on, do we know?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Jell! Enjoy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 am

Prufrock wrote:Jell! Enjoy.

They're at the Brixton Academy tonight, Chief. If there are any tickets left - go. fecking outstanding.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Just caught The Martian at the Trafford Centre and really enjoyed it. Thought the music tracks were on-theme and well chosen, the science was great an'all but what the blitherin' crin was Sean Bean doing in that film?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:06 am

This:

http://rncm.ac.uk/performance/mancheste ... nd-chance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really looking forward to it. :D

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:19 am

Etihad, 19th June 2016, Stone Roses 8)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:26 pm

clapton is god wrote:Etihad, 19th June 2016, Stone Roses 8)
Can you come back in 7 months time?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:22 pm

clapton is god wrote:Etihad, 19th June 2016, Stone Roses 8)

£70+ to watch a prick that can't sing a fecking note? Fair enough. Each to their own. ;)