Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: Where are you going tonight?

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:25 am

went to the the carbuncle cup winner for the worst new building in the UK last night, to the Sky Garden at the top of the walkie talkie.

i appreciate it looks a bit goofy from a distance but its mighty impressive up close. obviously stunning views from the top! Was good to be up there at dusk too! The sky garden is alright, looks a bit like a modern airport terminal but with a few trees knocking about. a fancy bar knocking extortionate pretentious cocktails, standard. tunes were pumping but the atmosphere was not. We ate in the Darwin restaurant which is the less fancy of the two, more posh fish and chips than all that al-la-carte nonsense and the food was spot on tbf and reasonable, ish.

worth a trip if you wanna get high in london, it'll cost you £25 to get up the Shard! you can walk in the bar off the street but i had to book the Darwin about 6 weeks in advance.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Th'Octagon tonight, first of the new season - The Family Way.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:07 pm

clapton is god wrote:Th'Octagon tonight, first of the new season - The Family Way.
Let us know, going next week. looking forward to a good old Northern drama after the dodgy Cartwright thing and that farce bollocks!

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 am

LeverEnd wrote:
clapton is god wrote:Th'Octagon tonight, first of the new season - The Family Way.
Let us know, going next week. looking forward to a good old Northern drama after the dodgy Cartwright thing and that farce bollocks!
Pre-interval was average, I thought, but it livened up considerably after the break and turned into an excellent show well worth going to. Star of the show for me was David Birrell as Ezra Fitton, the brides father. He has all the best lines and played the part to a T. Also worth mentioning is Akshay Gulari on his acting debut. He didn't have much to do but we had our eyes on him and he did it very well. Star of the future!

I was surprised the place wasn't full with it being a well known local play but on a Saturday night it was 75% at best. And it was red hot in there. One woman in front of us left part way through the second half looking decidedly unwell and I felt poorly myself too.

Someone had a bright idea to add a row of old dining chairs, high backed wooden ones with straight back and vinyl seats, to the front of the fitted seating to give an extra row and make the place look like the 1960's I suppose. It was a very bad idea and everyone sat in those seats looked very uncomfortable throughout. If your ticket is for row D, unlucky!

Good season opener though and I enjoyed it very much.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:30 pm

If anyone has the foggiest notion why I'm watching geriatric clog dancers at a talent show, please let me know...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Fcuk me. The "gospel choir"...sang with feeling...the feeling that they might not all make it to Monday...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Next up. 9 year old "Elvis". Can't wait.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:06 pm

You don't half watch some shite Worthy.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:29 pm

That's not true. Bolton are back playing next weekend!

Oh...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:16 am

Foo Fighters at Milton Keynes last night.

Ably supported by Royal Blood

Not so much Iggy Pop. Jesus he's dull.

Fantastic set by the Foos even with Grohl still in a boot after his leg break. All the old faves rolled out along with one or two more recent ones.

Favourites for me were Monkey Wrench and Everlong.

Not happy about the journey home. MK council should seriously review their policy of arranging massive road works during their festival season. 2hrs 15 minutes to get home. :evil:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:48 pm

I saw Royal Blood with the Pixies last summer GtE, how did you find them? I really enjoyed their set but having listened to some of their stuff at home was less impressed. Similarly I've seen Foo Fighters before as well, like Grohl a lot and they put a good show on but I find their songs a bit boring.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:15 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I saw Royal Blood with the Pixies last summer GtE, how did you find them? I really enjoyed their set but having listened to some of their stuff at home was less impressed. Similarly I've seen Foo Fighters before as well, like Grohl a lot and they put a good show on but I find their songs a bit boring.

I liked Royal Blood. May be coincidental but their sound was the best on the day. Or maybe their songs are fresher.

Iggy Pop was awful.

I have liked the Foo Fighters for a long time. This, however, is the first time I've seen them live. I wasn't overly impressed to be honest although it was nice to hear some of their older stuff 'live'

I won't be paying north of £70 a ticket again, let's put it that way. :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:24 pm

Royal Blood, Foo Fighters and Muse all have this common denominator for me whereby I can really enjoy tracks in isolation but am soon bored when trying to listen to more than a couple of songs. (I make an exception here though for There Is Nothing Left to Lose, which is a fecking brilliant album).
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Royal Blood, Foo Fighters and Muse all have this common denominator for me whereby I can really enjoy tracks in isolation but am soon bored when trying to listen to more than a couple of songs. (I make an exception here though for There Is Nothing Left to Lose, which is a fecking brilliant album).

I know what you mean. The grunge bands of the '90's had me the same. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden etc. Fantastic individual songs but whole albums (and concerts) were a struggle.

Not knocking the Foos but I've ticked them off in terms of 'live'.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Royal Blood, Foo Fighters and Muse all have this common denominator for me whereby I can really enjoy tracks in isolation but am soon bored when trying to listen to more than a couple of songs. (I make an exception here though for There Is Nothing Left to Lose, which is a fecking brilliant album).
I know what you mean. The grunge bands of the '90's had me the same. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden etc. Fantastic individual songs but whole albums (and concerts) were a struggle.

Couldn't agree any less! Without hyperbole (and coming from a music nut) those three bands made some of the finest, most coherent Long Players of the 20th Century (and Pearl Jam continue to do so to this day) - and in an age where Radio Friendly Hit Singles and music videos were king.

Last summer, supporting Black Sabbath at Hyde Park, Soundgarden played the whole of their Superunknown LP in full and it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen! They were so good we didn't even stick around to watch Ozzy, Geezer, Tony and their stand-in drummer.

I go to bed dreaming about Whole Concerts from Pearl Jam and Soundgarden (have had the pleasure of 2 from each so far). Saw the Foos plenty around the 99-04 mark before they went turd and boring (first two albums are without flaw).

As for Royal Blood. They're sad victims of the modern-day hype machine. Never has a recorded album sounded so underwhelming after being told by every media outlet and TV and Radio how utterly fantastic and undeniably superb it is. Flat and Fizzy sounding. Compressed bollocks. And Iggy? He's clear of all accusations because Fun House will stand as one of the Great American Rock Albums forever and ever and ever! :oyea:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Couldn't agree any less! Without hyperbole (and coming from a music nut) those three bands made some of the finest, most coherent Long Players of the 20th Century (and Pearl Jam continue to do so to this day) - and in an age where Radio Friendly Hit Singles and music videos were king.

Last summer, supporting Black Sabbath at Hyde Park, Soundgarden played the whole of their Superunknown LP in full and it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen! They were so good we didn't even stick around to watch Ozzy, Geezer, Tony and their stand-in drummer.

I go to bed dreaming about Whole Concerts from Pearl Jam and Soundgarden (have had the pleasure of 2 from each so far). Saw the Foos plenty around the 99-04 mark before they went turd and boring (first two albums are without flaw).

As for Royal Blood. They're sad victims of the modern-day hype machine. Never has a recorded album sounded so underwhelming after being told by every media outlet and TV and Radio how utterly fantastic and undeniably superb it is. Flat and Fizzy sounding. Compressed bollocks. And Iggy? He's clear of all accusations because Fun House will stand as one of the Great American Rock Albums forever and ever and ever! :oyea:

Opinions are like arseholes. X

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:08 pm

And mine aint stinky enough to drop seventy notes on a foo fighters concert circa 2015!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:06 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

I had most of the above in the latex plastic rock dept. But some undeniably good tracks between them.

Muse - I just don't get 'em at all...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:And mine aint stinky enough to drop seventy notes on a foo fighters concert circa 2015!
Over 220 for the tickets. 20 for a t-shirt for miss GtE. 31 notes for food inside.

Not a cheap day out.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Talking about tickets, England v Australia one day series at Old Trafford tomorrow. Should be a good day out!