Poetry!!!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Poetry!!!

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:45 pm

William the White wrote:Stunning.

Thank you bish.

I shall circulate this poem as widely as I can.

Where did you find it?

I'd also like to thank Bish for posting the poem. Also, it was either thur/fri/ or maybe even sat last week (apologies, the brain isn't what it once was). Several poems were featured in the guardian (culture section ? I read the online version, it's free!), written by current asylum seekers, and by others who'd secured asylum. Some very moving stuff.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:25 pm

I agree, it's a moving piece of work. I've worked with kids who've come from refugee camps, they'd seen some horrible stuff by all accounts.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:35 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I agree, it's a moving piece of work. I've worked with kids who've come from refugee camps, they'd seen some horrible stuff by all accounts.
But nothing that could ready them for the sight of you, post skinfull, though, eh? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I agree, it's a moving piece of work. I've worked with kids who've come from refugee camps, they'd seen some horrible stuff by all accounts.
But nothing that could ready them for the sight of you, post skinfull, though, eh? :D
They're not old enough to have spotted me staggering out of Bamboogy on a Saturday night yet. Their time will come.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:06 pm

However, Warsan Shire has lived in England since she was a year old and was born in Kenya. Her parents may have been Somali refugees.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:55 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
However, Warsan Shire has lived in England since she was a year old and was born in Kenya. Her parents may have been Somali refugees.
I was aware of that Monty. The fact that people are still fleeing and first-hand stories heard must have had a profound effect on her I suppose, and she's had the education to give a voice to some of these people's experiences.
It may not be the greatest poem ever written, but it was memorable in the same way as watching Hotel Rwanda, for example.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:54 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Apparently not... her father is a journalist and writer. He was a journalist in Kenya before moving to London as a journalist. His mother (Her grandmother) may have been a refugee. Warsan Shire herself talks of her awarness of refugees being fostered when she first went to Africa (South Africa) as a student and worked (as a volunteer for two months) with a charity. That's all been pulled from various interviews the fullest of which can be found here... http://wellandoftenpress.com/reader/to- ... san-shire/ She mainly appears desperate to reconnect to her Somaliness, being brought up as English and having a Kenyan passsport seems to upset her view of her place in the world.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:57 am

And she's now living in a Californian refugee camp

The kids had it hard....
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:20 am

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! person with reasonably comfortable life writes a poem!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:45 am

thebish wrote:Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! person with reasonably comfortable life writes a poem!
I believe the point is that the poem (about why refugees flee 'home') was advertised as being by the Somali poet Warsan Shire.
That being the case it is reasonable to point out that she's spent her entire conscious life in the west, indeed living in London.
Her passport is Kenyan, and indeed that is where she was born.
And she herself has never been a refugee, and it would appear neither have her parents.
Therefore the allusion that she herself is a Somali refugee ('home', Somali poet, poem about refugees, Somalia well known for having refugees) is in fact false.

She can write poems about what she wants, but if she wrote about

the great green sea
the salt lanes awash
bows dipping like dolphins

and signed herself off as 'The Naval Gunner's Daughter'

and it transpires that she was in fact the offspring of a landlubber and had never seen the sea then I think it appropriate that comments are made about it
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:50 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: And she herself has never been a refugee, and it would appear neither have her parents.

where exactly does my post say otherwise?

she was born in Kenya to somali parents, if she chooses to call herself Somali, what business or concern is it of yours? it seems perfectly reasonable to me - just as people born in England to welsh parents can quite reasonably call themselves welsh.

get over yourself!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:10 am

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: And she herself has never been a refugee, and it would appear neither have her parents.

she was born in Kenya to somali parents, if she chooses to call herself Somali, what business or concern is it of yours? it seems perfectly reasonable to me - just as people born in England to welsh parents can quite reasonably call themselves welsh.

get over yourself!
I don't need to get over myself...
I was pointing out the allusion that she herself was a refugee
Definition of allusion: an expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly; an indirect or passing reference.
The allusion was that she, herself was a refugee.
I wasn't on about her ethnicity, thank you very much.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:14 am

Anyway, the poem is nowt special and if it wasn't about something close to your hearts, there wouldn't have been all this fawning and cooing

She'd be better off getting a proper job

And I'll bet she wasn't Kenyan or Somali when it was benefits time

This has to get a bite
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:

get over yourself!
Definition of allusion: an expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly; an indirect or passing reference.
where is that allusion, exactly?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:49 am

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:

get over yourself!
where is that allusion, exactly?
:lol:

She writes a poem entitled Home
She calls herself a Somali poet
The poem is about refugees
Somalia is well known for refugees

Therefore she alludes (to suggest or call attention to indirectly; to hint at) to being a refugee
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:05 am

no - bollox.

a welshman writes about rugby - maybe using the 1st person literary device - he is described as a welsh poet. that doesn't mean he ever played rugby.

the allusion is entirely in your head.

here's a thing... Somalis are other things other than refugees. (poets even)

maybe she's also a pirate? they're well known for that too...

OR...

a poet who identifies herself with Somalia writes a poem about the plight of some of the people she identifies with... boooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:37 am

thebish wrote:no
a welshman writes about rugby - maybe using the 1st person literary device - he is described as a welsh poet. that doesn't mean he ever played rugby.
- I believe I covered this one a page back…
at 7:06 am on Tuesday 22nd September, LLS wrote: The words should speak for themselves, I hate it when a qualifier is added to give 'depth' (or for whatever reason it is intended to supply) - I mean, people don't go around printing/distributing stuff by, for example, the Welsh poet Dylan Thomas, and if they did they shouldn't.
thebish wrote: the allusion is entirely in your head.
- I think that’s where they tend to form…
And what's more you have no conclusive proof of the fact it is only in my head, indeed the perception that the allusion is entirely in my head may well be entirely in your head; until somebody else says otherwise who knows either way?
thebish wrote: here's a thing... Somalis are other things other than refugees. (poets even)
maybe she's also a pirate? they're well known for that too...
OR...
a poet who identifies herself with Somalia writes a poem about the plight of some of the people she identifies with
I never said otherwise, I think that’s one of the main points I made in reply to (firstly Billy le Blanc) and (secondly) Monty.

I also think you’ll find that my posts on the subject have been temperate and arose directly in response to this…
at 10:39pm on Monday 21st September, Billy the White wrote: I suspect hoboh, bobo and LLS will be immune, but I'd be genuinely interested in their response to it. I say this without aggression or argumentative intent of any kind.
Whereas since you’ve joined the debate…
addressing LLS in various posts over the last few minutes the bish wrote: what business or concern is it of yours?
Get over yourself!!!
- bollox.
... boooooooooooooooooooo!!!
This seems to be against the spirit of your thread entitled “General Apology” (if you don’t mind me pointing out :wink: )
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:00 pm

I think you are mixing up "allusion" - which has a measure of author-intent - with a combination of "supposition" and "delusion" - entirely in your own head! :D

I think you should calm down and get over yourself!

somali woman writes poem which is posted on poetry thread!

someone who doesn't normally like poetry doesn't like it....

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 8)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:14 pm

^^ Errr I have to say your holiness, I did get the impression, given the way it was presented, that it had been written by someone with first hand experience (which could be testament to it being well written) but sorta diminishes its relevance...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:^^ Errr I have to say your holiness, I did get the impression, given the way it was presented, that it had been written by someone with first hand experience (which could be testament to it being well written) but sorta diminishes its relevance...
The original post did say at the top and the bottom that she was a Somali poet, which would give that impression. She is not Somali so it would have been better to leave the misleading adjective out. Then the poem could have been judged on its own merits and would likely appeal to many.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.