iPhone Apps

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

iPhone Apps

Post by clapton is god » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:57 am

Anybody got a iphone and want to share your favourite apps?

I've had one for a couple of months now and just got to grips with it this last weekend.

Far and away the most useful app for me is AroundMe which gives you a list of businesses around you from banks, hospitals, garages, hotels, restaurants etc and shows how to get there. Choose a cafe, for example, and it almost instantly shows you a googlemap and how to get from where you are to where you want to be. We were in the V&A on Friday and wanted a pizza place. Took a few seconds to find one just 200 yards away tucked away behind the main road.

TV plus gives me a full TV listing and I can then use the phone to go via Sky direct to my Sky box to record remotely. I wanted to record Match of the Day on Saturday evening and despite being 200 miles from home it took me 10 seconds to do it. How cool is that?

A similar one is Tunein Radio which gives me thousands of radio stations from around the world. I tried tuning into Tower on Saturday though and still couldn't get the game due to internet restrictions.

Lots of news and sport apps to keep me right up to date with everything.

I'm hooked!

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 pm

if you like games then angry birds is fun, so if doodle jump

the ebay app is quite good

as you say the Sky+ app is quality

you gotta have Sky Sports News app too, not great but you can get scores easy enough on match days etc

the national trust app is good, tells you all national trust sites based on your location

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Bejewelled is ridiculously addictive.

PGA Tour one if you like golf is excellent, with live scoreboards and video

NASA's app's good, an extention of their website with images of the day and launch news. If you like spacey stuff ther'es a "planets" one with a 3D representation of the night sky to planet spot and constellation spot

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Get live score.com it's a free app and gives you any up to the minute scoreline for any sport anywhere in the world..

Also, on your iPhone, google Catchup TV and click on the iphone link.. Save it to your home screen and watch freeview TV on the go..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Shazam - check it out.

End of thread. :)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 pm

ATM Hunter, Guitar Tuner, Football SC and Compass are the ones that I tend to use the most. Oh, and Tesco Clubcard (which, you have to explain to the dunderhead behind the till everytime you come to use it).
May the bridges I burn light your way

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Actually not end of thread. Check out Plane Finder when they start flying again. Addictive.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:23 pm

and Flight Control until they are

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:ATM Hunter, Guitar Tuner, Football SC and Compass are the ones that I tend to use the most. Oh, and Tesco Clubcard (which, you have to explain to the dunderhead behind the till everytime you come to use it).
Do you find ATM Hunter heplful?

Gives me far too many false positives - it will, for instance, pick up cashpoints that are inside private offices, and hence not available to mere oiks like myself.

And it keeps telling me that there's one by a shop near where I work that is either invisible or very, very small... Either way it's nowhere to be seen.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: iPhone Apps

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:02 pm

clapton is god wrote:
A similar one is Tunein Radio which gives me thousands of radio stations from around the world. I tried tuning into Tower on Saturday though and still couldn't get the game due to internet restrictions.
Tower lost the band war to GMR and no longer do Bolton games: Least to the best of my knowlege. I suscribe to the official site for £4 a month. Good value back-up for when there are no streams.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:44 pm

I don't have an iphone. I always sell my upgraded phones on, and stick with my no-nonsense Nokia brick, from which I can phone and text. And which bounces when dropped rather than shatters, doesn't snap in half when closed in a car door, doesn't get nicked by a Thai Ladyboy in Lisbon, doesn't give up when falling in a pint of Guiness, doesn't just not turn on ever again one morning...

I hate phones.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I don't have an iphone. I always sell my upgraded phones on, and stick with my no-nonsense Nokia brick, from which I can phone and text. And which bounces when dropped rather than shatters, doesn't snap in half when closed in a car door, doesn't get nicked by a Thai Ladyboy in Lisbon, doesn't give up when falling in a pint of Guiness, doesn't just not turn on ever again one morning...

I hate phones.
This!

I too have a featurlesss Nokia brick - luddite that I am - I can phone people on it - it's a phone.

I also have a camera - i can take pictures with it - i can't phone anyone on it.

I have a toaster - it makes toast - the bastard useless machine doesn't get any radio reception.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:21 pm

thebish wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I don't have an iphone. I always sell my upgraded phones on, and stick with my no-nonsense Nokia brick, from which I can phone and text. And which bounces when dropped rather than shatters, doesn't snap in half when closed in a car door, doesn't get nicked by a Thai Ladyboy in Lisbon, doesn't give up when falling in a pint of Guiness, doesn't just not turn on ever again one morning...

I hate phones.
This!

I too have a featurlesss Nokia brick - luddite that I am - I can phone people on it - it's a phone.

I also have a camera - i can take pictures with it - i can't phone anyone on it.

I have a toaster - it makes toast - the bastard useless machine doesn't get any radio reception.
I don't think I'm meant to have a fancy new phone. I have had my own Sony Eriksson brick for about 4 years, and in that time have bought two new fancy dan contraptions, which have both been fairly immediately removed from my possesion, yet not a single person has bothered me for my brick.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Another shout for Angry Birds game here.

Google have one now which has voice recognition search if you are so lazy you don't want to type anything into it.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:49 pm

I hate phones.
I'm with the Nokia brick contingent. Had a couple on works contracts and the one I have now was given to me when I left. It's out-lasted all the wife's Sony's and Motorola fancy dans' etc. Always had it in a leather case and it's like new. Mind you, making six calls a year and sending a dozen text messages helps too. Daughter called the other day and got three calls and half-a-dozen texts in two hours. Who needs it? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:30 pm

i-phones are gayer than gay.

A f**king app to help you split the bill at a restaurant :roll:
Troll and proud of it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:39 pm

as wrote:i-phones are gayer than gay.

Nobody specifically asked you to post in the thread... If it doesn't interest you, then don't bother.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:41 pm

boltonboris wrote:
as wrote:i-phones are gayer than gay.

Nobody specifically asked you to post in the thread... If it doesn't interest you, then don't bother.
he posted it on his i-phone through his reply-to-TW-threads app....

(as did I this one....)

perfan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by perfan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Angry Birds, Harbour Master, Paper Toss and National Rail for me.
Buster League Champion!

Didledee
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Didledee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Bejeweled Blitz

Wally

Angry Birds

TV catch up

Paper Toss

Sky Sports Score Centre

Crush the Castle