Well I never knew that!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Well I never knew that!

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 am

What have you found out you never knew, but you'd like to share?

Post something on here, sit back and wait for a) Universal awe or b) Universal condemnation that your 'urban myth' has been disproved.

I'll start with Panini (I found this out yesterday)

Panini is the plural of Panino. You cannot therefore ask for a Panini or Paninis in Italy without looking like a tit. Thank you.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Well I never knew that!

Post by Hoboh » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:08 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:What have you found out you never knew, but you'd like to share?

Post something on here, sit back and wait for a) Universal awe or b) Universal condemnation that your 'urban myth' has been disproved.

Panini is the plural of Panino. You cannot therefore ask for a Panini or Paninis in Italy without looking like a tit. Thank you.
just ask for a cob then

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:20 am

I was astonished when I discovered that the man who designed the Hawker Hurricane also designed the Harrier Jump Jet.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:What have you found out you never knew, but you'd like to share?

Friend of mine who did Italian at uni constantly gets wound up by folk asking for 'a panini'. I always though it was an odd thing to get wound up about, but then she is gorgeous, so it's fine.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Had a lovely panini for lunch - didn't once think to order a panino, considering the sign on the wall said 'chicken panini'

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:32 pm

East Lower wrote:Had a lovely panini for lunch - didn't once think to order a panino, considering the sign on the wall said 'chicken panini'
Bathe in your (and their) ignorance, then. :mrgreen:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
East Lower wrote:Had a lovely panini for lunch - didn't once think to order a panino, considering the sign on the wall said 'chicken panini'
Bathe in your (and their) ignorance, then. :mrgreen:
It was tasty :pray:

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Wait.

Why are people eating football stickers?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Eating Polar Bear Liver will kill you, because they store vitamin A there. And we can overdose on it because we have no capacity to store it.

Oh, and Sir Nut is a Luton Town Fan. FACT.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Eating Polar Bear Liver will kill you, because they store vitamin A there. And we can overdose on it because we have no capacity to store it.

Oh, and Sir Nut is a Luton Town Fan. FACT.
His name is Chris, and he is most definitely a Bolton fan - just a stupid one.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:42 pm

A polar bear's skin is Black

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:42 pm

It was a bit of a convoluted pisstake....

Anyway, I had him pinned as Mrs R etc
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:It was a bit of a convoluted pisstake....

You'd completely correct

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:45 pm

East Lower wrote:

You'd completely correct
I thought he was Mitch

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
East Lower wrote:

You'd completely correct
I thought he was Mitch
Sadly not, he doesn't have the wit (online or in real life) to come up with something like that.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:15 pm

were you listening to that tit from the telegraph patronising school children on the radio??

it's bollox anyway. We have adopted a foereign word into our language - the word is panini - and it refers to a style of roll or sadwich made with said roll.

as it is now an adopted english word - it now obeys english (not italian) rules - hence - paninis.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:34 pm

thebish wrote:

were you listening to that tit from the telegraph patronising school children on the radio??

it's bollox anyway. We have adopted a foereign word into our language - the word is panini - and it refers to a style of roll or sadwich made with said roll.

as it is now an adopted english word - it now obeys english (not italian) rules - hence - paninis.
No. It was a discussion with my wife (who may have been). And what ( I think) you're saying is because we adopted a word from a foreign language and got it wrong in the first place it's fine because we're English and we can feck with other peoples languages irrespective of how assinine we sound?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

No. It was a discussion with my wife (who may have been). And what ( I think) you're saying is because we adopted a word from a foreign language and got it wrong in the first place it's fine because we're English and we can feck with other peoples languages irrespective of how assinine we sound?
yes! :-) we have always done that!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:37 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

So long as we're clear. Huzzah! :pissed:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

So long as we're clear. Huzzah! :pissed:

would you say that Yehudi Menuhin played the violino?

i doubt it - you'd probably say he played the violin.

we stole the word violin from the Italians - fecked about with it - knocked off the "o" and now use the plural "violins" rather then "violini"

is that assinine?