24....39....42....HUT! HUT!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

24....39....42....HUT! HUT!

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:47 am

I will expect 15 posts dismissing the game as a whole, as long as the description "Cushion Rugby" is used, before something constructive is said. The thread's not for you, no-one can stop you posting, but just expect to be ignored.

American Football - anyone else a fan? This is the first season I've been excited about for ages, and can't understand why. Done nothing other than the Superbowl for the last three years, after a period of about 10 years' ignorance. But this year seems different.

Although it's something to do with the Bears being 2 and 0 after two very good wins. Last night, at the Cowboys, was great - Cutler looks a very good QB in the making, especially picking out a pass. Great pass for a wonderful one-handed catch to Devin Hester last night at the Cowboys.

You can guess, seeing as Channel 4's first season of showing American Football in the UK was 1986, why I became a Bears fan. Peyton, Perry and McMahon under the tutelage of Mike Ditka were brilliant. And, in line with my footy allegiances, the Bears are seen as the over-achievers people dismiss very quickly.

Right. Cue the abuse. Go.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:17 pm

I followed American Football during the '90's and enjoyed the Channel 4 coverage immensely.

I even went to watch the London Monarchs at Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane on a few occasions. I also once saw an exhibition game at Wembley between the Cowboys and the Bills.

I can honestly say I haven't followed it this last decade but it is definitely a great spectacle and a game that keeps you thinking tactically throughout. It's absorbing when you watch plays pan out and the two teams out muscle and outwit each other.

I always liked Green Bay or Minnesota though, no time at all for the '49ers or Raiders.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 24....39....42....HUT! HUT!

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:21 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:I will expect 15 posts dismissing the game as a whole, as long as the description "Cushion Rugby" is used, before something constructive is said. The thread's not for you, no-one can stop you posting, but just expect to be ignored.

blimey!! :roll:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:32 pm

i heard that American football originally got it's name when they took a regular football, and then got an American to sit on it?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Re: 24....39....42....HUT! HUT!

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 pm

thebish wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:I will expect 15 posts dismissing the game as a whole, as long as the description "Cushion Rugby" is used, before something constructive is said. The thread's not for you, no-one can stop you posting, but just expect to be ignored.

blimey!! :roll:
If even you can't see the light heartedness in that, that it's not for everyone and that I expect that people will say so, what's the point in carrying on?

Or is this the latest in the series "bish taking things far too literally in order to play the righteous one"?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:44 pm

I simply think that judging/abusing your potential audience for a discussion before it has even started is a poor strategy... (nowt especially "righteous" about that - just common conversational sense...)

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Where have I abused anyone?

I've stated that the thread won't be for everyone, and that there will be people vociferious in their dismissal of the sport, and that they're entitled to say it, but that the last thing I want this thread to turn into is a conversation that goes along the lines of "American Football's shit", "no it isn't", "yes it is, they wear pads and everything".

As it is, it's now a thread where I need to spend half of the first page to-ing and fro-ing with you on the interpretation of the wording of such wishes. I should have just left it to become a conversation that goes along the lines of "American Football's shit", "no it isn't", "yes it is, they wear pads and everything".

And why should I have to adopt a "strategy" to have a conversation? It's not Question Time.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Let KB have his thread, people. I'm no fan of American sports, but why let that stop actual fans have a decent conversation about it?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:57 pm

I follow Canadian football more than American football(somewhat different rules but generally the same game). I have been a Raider fan since the 1960s (sorry for those who detest them). But I follow footie and (ice) hockey too. I like them all.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:57 pm

I used to watch it a lot in the eighties as well; much younger then and the superbowl was always around my birthday, so we used to have a 'party night' and watch it with friends and some strangers who seemed to follow us from the pub back to our house. Then like you, I didn't bother for a long long time, but have been watching bits lately and realy enjoy it. I will make a note to self to make more of an effort this year.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Having grown up in North America, I have always followed the NFL. In fact until the 80's I also followed the CFL. I have been a fan of the San Francisco 49ers since the late 60's. If I was 10 yrs younger I would have been a Seattle Seahawk fan a team I still have a soft spot for despite the fact they are now in the same division which certainly makes it harder to like them.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Sky Sports seem to be doing a lot - three live matches each week, from 6pm to about 4-5am. Channel 4 are also showing a live match in the middles of the night, so there's a lot of opportunity to catch up.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Never really understood much about it, but my eldest played quarterback in a team over here and now, living in California, is a massive Green Bay Packers fan. His house is covered in helmets, flags, rosettes etc. Last year he won two tickets to the Rose Bowl final at his golf club. He idolises the stuff.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:09 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Sky Sports seem to be doing a lot - three live matches each week, from 6pm to about 4-5am. Channel 4 are also showing a live match in the middles of the night, so there's a lot of opportunity to catch up.
Oh have Channel 4 got it back? Might start watching again.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Never really understood much about it, but my eldest played quarterback in a team over here and now, living in California, is a massive Green Bay Packers fan. His house is covered in helmets, flags, rosettes etc. Last year he won two tickets to the Rose Bowl final at his golf club. He idolises the stuff.
Quarterback is not an easy position to play especially as you start playing better and better competition. Most people can't handle having to make those split decisions while being willing to take the hits.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I follow Canadian football more than American football(somewhat different rules but generally the same game). I have been a Raider fan since the 1960s (sorry for those who detest them). But I follow footie and (ice) hockey too. I like them all.
I like watching American Football, as I do any sport that comes on the magic box. Can't understand how they call it "football" when I've never once seen someone kick the damn thing, but ah well. Monty - for the uneducated, what's the difference between the Canadian and American rules?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:15 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Sky Sports seem to be doing a lot - three live matches each week, from 6pm to about 4-5am. Channel 4 are also showing a live match in the middles of the night, so there's a lot of opportunity to catch up.
They'd better have Gary Imlach and Mick Luckhurst.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
They had one on last night (Colts v Giants, I think), but that was about 1am. So I assume it'll be a regular fixture.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:21 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:I follow Canadian football more than American football(somewhat different rules but generally the same game). I have been a Raider fan since the 1960s (sorry for those who detest them). But I follow footie and (ice) hockey too. I like them all.
I like watching American Football, as I do any sport that comes on the magic box. Can't understand how they call it "football" when I've never once seen someone kick the damn thing, but ah well. Monty - for the uneducated, what's the difference between the Canadian and American rules?
Slightlly longer, and wider field, which forces the players to be more mobile and thus smaller than the kind down south. Also in the CFL you get 3 attempts instead of 4 to get a first down (10yds). The ball is bigger as well. Overall it creates, or it used to create as I haven't had access to watch for over 20 years, more of a passing game since you get one less down to gain 10 yds. There are other rule differences but you better wait for Monty to return as I have forgotten.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:25 pm

I'd just like to know why its called football, when they hardley ever kick it? Now if you renamed the thread stop-start-catchball, I promise to keep my distance.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.