24....39....42....HUT! HUT!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:49 am

All this talk of kickoff returns means I have to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpI1wElYoCs

Can't help it. I miss that inconsistent 1st round bust. :( Even if he only were to show up twice a season to embarrass the Jets.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Jakerbeef wrote:All this talk of kickoff returns means I have to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpI1wElYoCs

Can't help it. I miss that inconsistent 1st round bust. :( Even if he only were to show up twice a season to embarrass the Jets.
brady quinn was more of a bust than tedd ginn jr.

he might play at wembley again , quinn might too when the other quaterback (orton ? tebow ?) gets inevitably injured.

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 am

Remember the World League of American Football? WLAF? Or known by the Americans as 'We Laugh'? Is that still around?

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:50 am

It was never a game that anyone in our family took any notice of and then suddenly back in the 90's the whole family started to watch the televised games, and we all had teams. I supported the 49ers, my wife the Patriots, my son the Dolphins and my daughter the Giants, it made for some good friendly banter. Then from around the turn of the century we all slowly lost interest again and now none of us hardly ever watch it. I watch parts of a game every now and then but never a full game.

It's strange how sports can sometimes take you like that, I even remember when I used to watch snooker (remember the famous commentator who said ".. for those of you with black and white TV's the blue is the one behind the yellow ...", classic), used to watch a lot of tennis and even the odd basketball game but never baseball.

But now its just football (including AFL, league and union) and of course the real round football plus some golf.

I now sometimes even watch Bowls (the lawn variety not the ten pin game).
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:25 pm

So - without trying to interject in a thriving thread regarding a sport that carries little interest to me.

Why do they shout "HUT"?????

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:So - without trying to interject in a thriving thread regarding a sport that carries little interest to me.

it is proposed in several places that..

The word “hut” originated from the Roman Centurions. During those times, after a command is given, the Roman Centurion will shout the word “hut” to imply that the command needs to be executed immediately. For example, a Roman Centurion can order his men to march forward, he can say “forward-march! – HUT!.” Then the marching commences but his command doesn’t stop there, the Centurion will continue to shout the word “hut” for every 4 steps to keep his men marching in a uniformed manner until they reach their destination or until they are ordered to stop.

I imagine this is utter bollox.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:37 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:So - without trying to interject in a thriving thread regarding a sport that carries little interest to me.

The word “hut” originated from the Roman Centurions. During those times, after a command is given, the Roman Centurion will shout the word “hut” to imply that the command needs to be executed immediately. For example, a Roman Centurion can order his men to march forward, he can say “forward-march! – HUT!.” Then the marching commences but his command doesn’t stop there, the Centurion will continue to shout the word “hut” for every 4 steps to keep his men marching in a uniformed manner until they reach their destination or until they are ordered to stop.

Good try, and thanks, but I imagine this is utter bollox too! :mrgreen:

As far as I can tell, hut seems to be derived from hutte or hutta which is french germanic in origin circa 1645/1655.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:

Good try, and thanks, but I imagine this is utter bollox too! :mrgreen:

As far as I can tell, hut seems to be derived from hutte or hutta which is french germanic in origin circa 1645/1655.
so - why would the americans be using it?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:03 pm

thebish wrote:so - why would the americans be using it?
Dunno - that's why I asked the question in the first place...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:so - why would the americans be using it?
Dunno - that's why I asked the question in the first place...
From Wiki:

Ten-hut is an American military term that means, "Come to attention!" It was shortened from "a-ten-hut" and came into use because it is easier to say at full shout than "attention."

This command does not officially exist as a US Military command phrase. Use of "A-ten-hut" or "Ten-hut" may result in a "dressing down" from an Officer or NCO. Some units are not as strict with its use.

The correct order to come to the "position of attention" is; The Preparatory command: <unit> (ie. squad, platoon, company etc.) followed by the Execution command: "Atten-tion"

There are two parts to most command phrases. The preparatory command and the execution command or "command of execution". For instance, in the command "Stand at, Ease" the preparatory command is "Stand at", followed by a period of silence (the length is up to the discretion of the order giver) and then the command of execution "Ease".

If one were to come to the position of "At Ease" before the command of execution were issued, one would be said to "anticipate the command". Such an action is actually considered to be a failure to follow orders.

Probably bollocks. :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:48 pm

if the "hut" is the execution command - then surely you'd only say it once...

I've never heard an army major shout atteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen (preparatory command) shun! shun! shun! (triple exectution?)

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:58 pm

thebish wrote:if the "hut" is the execution command - then surely you'd only say it once...

I've never heard an army major shout atteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen (preparatory command) shun! shun! shun! (triple exectution?)
they say it three times to in an attempt to confuse the defence. they might 'go' on the second time.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:10 pm

I like the Roman Legionnaires one best...

I think those American Colleges where they have mysterious organisations called stuff like Phi-Kappa-Alpha would like the classical reference, the semblance to warfare of the sport, and the sense of exclusivity.

but it's probably bollocks... :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 pm

a1 wrote:
thebish wrote:if the "hut" is the execution command - then surely you'd only say it once...

they say it three times to in an attempt to confuse the defence. they might 'go' on the second time.
Indeed, they don't necessarily say it three times - they could go on one hut. Quarterbacks use their cadence to try to get the defending team to jump offside which gains five easy yards and, on occasion, a free play like knocking a no-ball for a six. They say a bit more than HUT times whatever. Sometimes they have to change the play at the line when they see the defensive alignment. This is called an audible so you might hear "Green 23, green 23, Hut" for example. This may or may not be an audible. Of course they keep changing signals so as not to be predictable (which sometimes confuses their own players who may not be the brightest candles on the tree).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
a1 wrote:

Indeed, they don't necessarily say it three times - they could go on one hut. Quarterbacks use their cadence to try to get the defending team to jump offside which gains five easy yards and, on occasion, a free play like knocking a no-ball for a six. They say a bit more than HUT times whatever. Sometimes they have to change the play at the line when they see the defensive alignment. This is called an audible so you might hear "Green 23, green 23, Hut" for example. This may or may not be an audible. Of course they keep changing signals so as not to be predictable (which sometimes confuses their own players who may not be the brightest candles on the tree).
Thanks Monty. :-) I sort of understood that there's numbers indicating the "play" they were calling, bit like where we're going to throw it in a Rugby Union line-out. Just couldn't understand the "hut" bit. :mrgreen:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:16 am

I've just discovered today that there was a game of SSC on at the weekend in the the good ole U of, er, K.

What was the result, and was anyone arsed to go to it?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 am

I'll try to explain HUT.

The play actually begins when the QB shouts HIKE (not HUT in case some of you are confused) and the football is snapped to him. So before saying HIKE, the QB will say HUT in order to try and confuse the defense.

Now obviously, it makes sense to have your team know when you are going to say HIKE and not HUT (you don't want to confuse your own team and sometimes the noise in the stadium makes the two words indistinguishable). So before each play, the QB will let his team know how many HUTs before a HIKE. It's called a snap count. While the defense has to listen (or watch) carefully for the HIKE, the offense knows when it's coming and so has a slight advantage.

Hope that explains it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 am

midnitefooty wrote:I'll try to explain HUT.

The play actually begins when the QB shouts HIKE (not HUT in case some of you are confused) and the football is snapped to him. So before saying HIKE, the QB will say HUT in order to try and confuse the defense.

Now obviously, it makes sense to have your team know when you are going to say HIKE and not HUT (you don't want to confuse your own team and sometimes the noise in the stadium makes the two words indistinguishable). So before each play, the QB will let his team know how many HUTs before a HIKE. It's called a snap count. While the defense has to listen (or watch) carefully for the HIKE, the offense knows when it's coming and so has a slight advantage.

Hope that explains it.
Excellent - now we've got away from Roman Centurions, I understand.

Thanks very much. :mrgreen:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Hope that explains it.
I'm not sure a Quarterback is required to say "Hike" (or anything at all for that matter). I grant that the centre does hike or snap the ball but the snap can come on the first, second or third 'hut'. In noisy stadium in shotgun position (i.e. the QB stands a few yards back from the centre) they often do the snap count silently with their feet and hand movements.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Hope that explains it.
Excellent - now we've got away from Roman Centurions, I understand.

Thanks very much. :mrgreen:
History is important, Worthy - remember American football dates back to the Texas Christians playing the Detroit Lions in the Coliseum, when centurions were in vogue.... or possibly not. :wink: