Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Don't throw stones if you live in a paper house.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:Don't throw stones if you live in a paper house.
Oh, very Bushido..... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:19 am

in the model village just down the road from where I lived until this week...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:33 am

Is that the Beast of Bodmin?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:59 am

Ha, love that!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:09 pm

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:40 pm

I am at the United Reformed Church general assembly where we have voted for our churches to be allowed to conduct same-sex marriages - the first mainstream denomination to do so.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:26 am

thebish wrote:I am at the United Reformed Church general assembly where we have voted for our churches to be allowed to conduct same-sex marriages - the first mainstream denomination to do so.
Where is the LIKE button?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:29 pm

malcd1 wrote:
thebish wrote:I am at the United Reformed Church general assembly where we have voted for our churches to be allowed to conduct same-sex marriages - the first mainstream denomination to do so.
Where is the LIKE button?
The United Church of Canada (the largest Protestant denomination in Canada) has approved same sex marriages since 2003. The United Church was formed by the union of Presbyterians, Methodists and Congregationalists in 1925 and is considered pretty mainstream. The Anglican Synod votes on the issue on Monday.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:13 pm

In the UK

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Googled it after that post. Didn't realise there still hasn't been any same sex marriages in church. Ridiculous.

So yeah...erm...how wonderful.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:19 am

Prufrock wrote:Googled it after that post. Didn't realise there still hasn't been any same sex marriages in church. Ridiculous.

Yiu can be sarcastic about it all you like but I as an atheist think it is a step forward.
People aren't going to change their minds and agree with you overnight.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:Googled it after that post. Didn't realise there still hasn't been any same sex marriages in church. Ridiculous.

under the Act of Parliament that set up the URC and the Basis of Union that governs the structure of the conciliar URC - how quickly do you think the URC could have possibly (legally) conducted a same sex marriage?

(quick hint: the general assembly which is the only place such a decision can be made takes place every 2 years - and in between general assemblies there is a "blocking mechanism" whereby regional synods may object - and there has to be a consultation process with over 1000 local churches - the URC being a conciliar church - not an autocratic church. It was only legal in the UK AT ALL from 13th March 2014. )

I would bow to your superior knowledge of the legal processes by which we are bound - but I cannot see a path which would have led to us legally making such a decision earlier than we did.

in other words - my view is that you're talking utter crap from a position of ignorance.

if you're thinking the CofE - then they are specifically NOT allowed to by act of parliament - even if they wanted to.

so - I reserve the right to be happy that we have made the decision absolutely as quickly as legally possible.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:30 pm

Two years ago was after 13 March 2014 was it not? It was hardly a surprise the Act was going to be passed.

And that it has taken this long because people have kept blocking it hardly strengthens your argument.

I mean, don't get me wrong, fair play to the people who've pushed it through, but it's fecking depressing they've had to. And that two and a bit years later they're the first ones to do so.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:54 pm

Bad news from the Anglican Synod. Same sex marriage failed by a single vote.
The vote, which required a two-thirds majority in each of the Orders of Laity, Clergy and Bishops, received 72.22% support from the laity and 68.42% in the Order of Bishops, but only 66.23% in the Order of Clergy—0.43% shy of the 66.66% needed.
The people wanted it, the bishops wanted it and the large majority of clergy did, but not two thirds.

Surprisingly (to me) one of the naysayers was a female Inuit (you'd think someone in that group would be open to inclusivity as they were the object of discrimination for such a long time).
“It is not about unconditional love,” said the Rev. Annie Ittoshat, an Inuit priest working in the diocese of Montreal. “It is about what is clearly written in the word of God.”
Oh dear!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:Two years ago was after 13 March 2014 was it not? It was hardly a surprise the Act was going to be passed.

And that it has taken this long because people have kept blocking it hardly strengthens your argument.

I mean, don't get me wrong, fair play to the people who've pushed it through, but it's fecking depressing they've had to. And that two and a bit years later they're the first ones to do so.

again - you misunderstand.

it has not taken "so long" because people keep blocking it - it's that synods (by law) have to have the opportunity to block it. As it happened - they didn't.

I repeat - unless you can tell me how (I'd be interested) - the URC could not have made this decision any quicker (LEGALLY) than we did.

I reserve the right to be happy that we can legally conduct same-sex marriages as quickly as we possibly (and legally) could have done.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Bijou Bob in Barnstormers last night - 'I don't know where this reputation for me being tight comes from. Rioja keeps repeating it and it seems to have stuck'.

Ten minutes later at the turnstile, BB says - 'Over 65, please'.

He didn't know whether to laugh at having saved a fiver, or cry at having passed as over 65! :pray:

Nope. I have no idea where that reputation comes from! Sorry BB, that was too good not to share! :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Bijou Bob in Barnstormers last night - 'I don't know where this reputation for me being tight comes from. Rioja keeps repeating it and it seems to have stuck'.

Ten minutes later at the turnstile, BB says - 'Over 65, please'.

He didn't know whether to laugh at having saved a fiver, or cry at having passed as over 65! :pray:

Nope. I have no idea where that reputation comes from! Sorry BB, that was too good not to share! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote: Rioja keeps repeating it and it seems to have stuck'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Some context here..................ah feck it, what's the point.........
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.