Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:31 pm

^^^ & exactly how far into this weekend do you think it will be before I idly mention this to her ????

Just in passing, of course.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Having been informed a few years ago that my wife's car was fitted with a timing chain rather than a timing belt, I thought "Happy days! Virtually no maintenance costs and no chance of the belt snapping" (something that had happened to me twice before on 2 other cars and cost me a fortune).

Anyway, as it turns out, I found out a couple of weeks ago that I'd been given duff information. The car is fitted with a timing belt and it should have been changed about 70,000 miles ago.

So why am I happy? I'm happy that I managed to get the belt changed this week, without it snapping and wrecking the engine! 150,000 miles on a timing belt is quite an achievement. I think I'll notify the Guinness Book of Records!

What's even more satisfying is that Mrs H is none the wiser and just saw this as me being kind and spending some money on her car, to keep her safe now that winter's on its way.

Result. :oyea:
A good result indeed. bBlts and chains both break and if you have an interference engine the results are almost always catastrophic especially if it happens at speed. With a non-interference engine the damage tends to be more minor. Of course you get better performance with the former and, as they say, timing is everything. Congratulations on your bullet dodging. 150,000 miles is a lot on one car in the UK - maybe other things should be checked.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:35 pm

I remember my mechanic, in a sort of surrogate-dad kind of way, showing me all 16 valves of a Golf GTi on his workbench that he was trying to unmangle when advising me to always make sure my timing belt was checked over and changed at the correct intervals. Looked bloody expensive!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: A good result indeed. bBlts and chains both break and if you have an interference engine the results are almost always catastrophic especially if it happens at speed. With a non-interference engine the damage tends to be more minor. Of course you get better performance with the former and, as they say, timing is everything. Congratulations on your bullet dodging. 150,000 miles is a lot on one car in the UK - maybe other things should be checked.... :wink:

very impressive mechanical knowledge there! :pray:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Norman Lamb retweeted my tweet. Shallow? Absolutely, but I'm rather delighted.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm glad for your general well being and happiness Bob, but who? :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I'm glad for your general well being and happiness Bob, but who? :conf:
LibDem MP...

the one at the back...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Good to see our forummers setting the bar really high for themselves. Carry on, do.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Lamb is the political driver behind most of the pressure being applied to government in respect of mental health issues. Top bloke ( For a LibDem).

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Lamb is the political driver behind most of the pressure being applied to government in respect of mental health issues. Top bloke ( For a LibDem).

aye.. summat that the tories now talk the talk on, whilst totally failing to fund mental health services in any way that would realistically help elevate them above the "cinderella" service they currently are... (at least, according to my very experienced psychaitric-nurse brother, whose opinion on this I trust...)

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm

As our brand new, shiny inpatient hospital for the mentally ill has just been forced to close a ward and are unable to recruit staff due to alleged bullying and despotic management techniques, I'd suggest your brother is spot on. It's a shambles out there.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:07 am

All you can eat breakfast at the royal oak this morning. Plane to Cologne this afternoon. Tickets to see John Bramwell this evening. Cologne v Mainz Saturday afternoon and Xmas market Sunday. All interspersed with beer and sausages :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:10 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:All you can eat breakfast at the royal oak this morning. Plane to Cologne this afternoon. Tickets to see John Bramwell this evening. Cologne v Mainz Saturday afternoon and Xmas market Sunday. All interspersed with beer and sausages :pissed:

sounds like a plan! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:49 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:All you can eat breakfast at the royal oak this morning. Plane to Cologne this afternoon. Tickets to see John Bramwell this evening. Cologne v Mainz Saturday afternoon and Xmas market Sunday. All interspersed with beer and sausages :pissed:
Go for a steak at Ponchos, take in the Cathedral. They're equally stunning. I love Koln. One of my favourite European cities.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Go for a steak at Ponchos, take in the Cathedral. They're equally stunning. I love Koln. One of my favourite European cities.
Will do - Cheers. First time for us. Think it's going to be a wet one!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:03 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Will do - Cheers. First time for us. Think it's going to be a wet one!
Have a great trip, mate. If you do make it to Ponchos they bake their own bread on the premises, and give you plenty of sauce to mop up with it. It's difficult not to spunk-up at the table. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:10 am

I think trip advisor said something similar! :D Cheers :pissed:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yes - it's great (although quite a while since I've been there) - There's a fair few eateries n stuff from memory - which might be somewhat hazy - around St Martins Church...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:17 pm

If you have time .... and inclination. There's a lovely coastal train ride past Estoril & into Cascais. Fish restaurants abound .. indeed there are many around the fish market. From there you can get up to Sintra, the mountain village and one-time Winter Palace.

You may not have the time, but if you have ....
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:30 pm

bobo the clown wrote:If you have time .... and inclination. There's a lovely coastal train ride past Estoril & into Cascais. Fish restaurants abound .. indeed there are many around the fish market. From there you can get up to Sintra, the mountain village and one-time Winter Palace.

You may not have the time, but if you have ....

Yep. Excellent suggestion! :D