Out of the mouths of babes ...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Out of the mouths of babes ...

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:14 am

I'm struck by how many people here are new, or newish parents. Well, when your children are 18 & 22 I suppose newish covers quite a few of you, comparatively.

I thought I'd pass on a tip & gather some other experiences ; - as your children grow & toddle and learn to talk (16 when mine managed it, maybe I should have interacted more often) they will say some wonderful, amusing, tearjerking, amazing things.

When they do you will tell your friends & family about it. You will be so amazed that you will be certain that these words will stay with you forever. You will, however, forget many of them & only a small number will stick long-term.

My advice is to get a small notebook and write them down. I regret not doing so myself as I know I've forgotten so many.

I'll share one now & more later if the thread takes off ; -
I took my two to a permanent Dr. Who Exhibition. They were 4 & 8 & this we pre the Dr. Who rennaisance.

You could stroll through the rooms seeing monsters and costumes and dispplays of other worlds. Enter the Tardis & see clips from shows. For a modest outlay it was decent fun. There was an interactive area near the end (just before the obligatory shop) and the kids (old & young) could go inside a Dalek. From there there was a voice altering devise which meant you would sound like one when you spoke into it. There were levers to move it's 'eye' and to fire the ray-gun thingy.

My 4 yr old went in, following some others and was heard to shout "I AM A GARLIC, I AM A GARLIC " .... followed by him firing the exterminator shouting "EXCUSE ME MATE ... EXCUSE ME MATE !!"

Anyone else have any to share ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Re: Out of the mouths of babes ...

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:16 am

:lol:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 am

I've had a fair few amusing moments working as a teacher though no doubt Jessie and Jack will give me some more. My most recent was probably the time i was listening to an 11 year old lad read and his book took a rather more risque turn and i found myself listening to a rather graphic sexual description! I quickly moved on to the next reader! Not sure who was more embarrassed... And where he got the book from!!!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 am

Loving the 'excuse me mate'!!! :)

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:36 am

Hahaha

"Excuse me mate"

Maybe the Daleks have been misunderstood all this time?

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 pm

My parents tell a story of when they took my brother (who was very young at the time) on a walk around Anglezarke. He asked why there were so many lakes. They explained to him that the reservoirs were used for supplying water to homes in the North West. He then asked "so which reservoirs have the hot water in them?" :shock:
Hope is what keeps us going.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35 pm

There's a whole sub-thread here about the things you said yourself as a little 'un.

I remember at primary school (Roscow Fold) talking to another boy about my dad having been in the army (which he had been). I thought he'd been in the war (he hadn't, quite) to which the other lad said, "my dad was in the German army. My dad shot your dad."

So, ex-Nazis hiding out in Breightmet. Who'd have thought it?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 pm

One of my faves was a friend of the family's delightful little toddler. He was at least 2, maybe 3 at the time and the little man is very clever for his age. Little genius I think he is. Anyway, they were round ours for a party one night, enjoying themselves when the little man got fed up and felt it was time to go, and uttered an indignant phrase he's obviously been on the receiving end plenty of times, but hearing it the other way round was pure comedy:

"It's 10 o'clock!!"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 pm

My nephew asked why the Bolton fans were chanting that "Wayne Rooney can only score in a bottle" when we played Man U last time. Bless.
Businesswoman of the year.

Latham8wfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Latham8wfc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:30 pm

We were at my brother's house over Xmas, his 6 year old daughter was sat on the floor in front of us and we were talking about my brother and how he was owed money from a work colleague, anyways my niece turned around in the middle of the conversation and blurted out 'I'm very promiscuous’ to which we laughed hysterically for a few minutes, later we found out she had meant to say ‘I’m very persuasive’

That was one word I really didn’t expect a 6 year old to come out with!! :D
http://twitter.com/New_Latham8wfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:32 pm

When my son was in his first year at school we went to the parent teacher interview. The teacher made us sit in my son's chair and she noted that my son seemed afraid of her. She was a large lady and from the perspective of my son's chair loomed over me huge as Asia. I could only respond I wasn't surprised (stifling the "I'm bloody terrified"). Some weeks later my son and I were sitting at a bus stop with another lady. My son asked me if she was a teacher. When I asked him why, he responded "Because she is so fat!". The bus arrived at this point but I decided not to take it.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:49 am

I took my (then) four year old daughter to Camelot on a trip to Bolton and we were sat in the Auditorium watching the Knight's Tourney. The Black Knight was getting the better of the Green Knight and, as he was about to deliver the killing blow with his sword, my daughter piped up in her finest cockney accent "Smash him inna face!!!!!!!"

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 pm

My daughter at about the age of five had clearly heard Brittany Spears' record too often (not from me) but had not quite worked out the words so in the middle of Currys sang in her loudest voice "whip me baby one more time"

In Pizza hut she also managed to do the biggest burp ever only to wait a second for it to get quieter and shout, did you hear that giant burp? In the same place (another time I think), being a single parent I made a daft comment about the waitress being very cute and when she served us my daughter looked at her and turned to me and asked (again in a loud voice) "is this the cute one daddy"

She also told her grandad that she needed a tom tit once - I got a telling off for that one :)

A serious one and a good lesson (sure I have mentioned this before) is when she came home from nursery telling me how she had been playing with Michael that day, I could not remember who he was so asked her to describe him, she told me he had short black, curly hair, was a bit taller than her, what he was wearing, his dad was very tall with no hair etc etc. The next day I met Michael and my daughter had forgotten one thing...the colour of his skin, she did not even think that it was relevant or had not even noticed it (he was black)
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:36 pm

That "Gooner Girl" must take responsability for these types of threads!!! :twisted:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Raven wrote:
A serious one and a good lesson (sure I have mentioned this before) is when she came home from nursery telling me how she had been playing with Michael that day, I could not remember who he was so asked her to describe him, she told me he had short black, curly hair, was a bit taller than her, what he was wearing, his dad was very tall with no hair etc etc. The next day I met Michael and my daughter had forgotten one thing...the colour of his skin, she did not even think that it was relevant or had not even noticed it (he was black)
Er...is it relevant?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Nope but its the one thing (other than being a boy) that was really different and she did not even notice it, thats my point really and proves (to me) how ridiculous racism is and clearly it something that is taught to someone and not natural.
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Raven wrote:Nope but its the one thing (other than being a boy) that was really different and she did not even notice it, thats my point really and proves (to me) how ridiculous racism is and clearly it something that is taught to someone and not natural.
Ah, but had they been playing Doctors and Nurses.......................... :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:04 pm

I think people wrote into viz with similar things...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Hoboh wrote:That "Gooner Girl" must take responsability for these types of threads!!! :twisted:
Huh?! Why me?!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:17 pm

You've gayed this place up with your roulade and such