The Film Review Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

The Film Review Thread

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:57 pm

There seem to be fewer and fewer films at the cinema that I really want to go and see these days. If you go and see something at the cinema, post a short review so that fellow TW users can share in your experience (note:a review can obviously give a rough description of the details of the story, but don't post anything that would render seeing it useless). If you have seen a film in the last few weeks that is still showing, review it!

I'll go first, as I went last night:

Mrs and Mrs Smith

Starring: Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and Adam Brody

Rating: 15 Genre: Action, Rom-com

I have to say it was actually really rather good. Don't be put off by the rom-com label, because there's a lot more to this film than that. This is an edgy love story with lots of excellently-shot action all the way through. It exudes production quality and you can really see the money on the screen.

Even if mainstream cinema isn't really your bag, you can't help but enjoy the sheer aesthetic pleasure of it all. And yes, that last point does, of course, include Miss Jolie, especially in the scene in which she dons black PVC. Even if you don't count yourself among her fans, which I didn't, there is certainly something about her.

All you need to know about the story is that Pitt and Jolie both lead secret lives as assassins that the other doesn't know about. And they wonder why something isn't quite right in their marriage...

Best track on the soundtrack is 'Mondo Bongo' by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros.

Just go and see it - you'll come out feeling better than when you went in.

Rating: ****

Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:23 pm

Thanks for that crayon (sorry - I just have this thing whereby I call someone mummy). Must admit, I was thinking of going watch this - you can't beat a bit of Angelina Jolie (and she does look a knock-out in this one). Not a fan of Brad Pitt particularly, especially since the travesty that was Troy. Not quite the number one of the Top 10 All Time Worst Films (an idea for a thread there if ever I heard one), but certainly up there with the best (or worst) of them.

Not planning to go to to the cinema anytime soon, but will report when I do so.........
Smarties have answers.....

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:35 pm

I'm not generally a big fan of BP myself either. Didn't see Troy, but he plays a good part in this one.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:20 pm

Last film i watched was...............

Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith.

Not being a big Star Wars fan i was a little worried wether i really wanted to see it but......
Wow what a great film !!!
It was a bit strange, having seen the original Star Wars, watching a film about events before the first one, but as long as you have seen the original it doesnt matter.
Great special effects and action all through.
Thoroughly recomemd the film.
At the end i actually felt sorry for Darth Vader.
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

Enzo Gambaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Enzo Gambaro » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:17 pm

This weekend I have mostly been watching Sin City.

Based on the Frank Miller comic strip this is maverick director Robert Rodriguez's most ambitious film yet. A whole host of star names have contributed to this (including Quentin Tarantino who actually directed some scenes in the film and his influence is apparent throughout).

Rather than outlining the plot, I'll just explain that it runs in a very similar way to Pulp Fiction with a number of stories intertwining regardless of any kind of time structure. The three main characters are Marv (Mickey Rourke) who seeks revenge for a murdered prostitute, Dwight (Clive Owen) who helps take revenge on a cop who is bullying his girlfriend and then has to dispose of a number of corpses and Hartigan (Bruce Willis) who is trying to bring down the child-molesting son of a senator. All three stories are strong and involve bloody violence but are also very funny in parts and the violence is very much like that in a comic book so isn't realistic enough to become offensive.

Apart from the three leads there are cameos from some of the hottest stars in Hollywood. Benicio Del Toro, Elijah Wood, Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, Rutger Hauer, Nick Stahl and many more all make fleeting but memorable appearances.

Rodriguez shows just how far film-making has progressed with basically every scene having been filmed in front of the green screen with the comic book style backgrounds added later. Mainly in black and white with colours used to good effect to accenuate certain aspects of the plot.

Personally I can't recommend this film highly enough. Being a fan of Rodriguez, Tarantino and the works of Frank Miller I guess it was a no-brainer that I was going to enjoy it, but I believe there's something there for everyone although I'd guess that it's going to appeal more to the blokes. Be warned though, the violence is very graphic and unrelenting. If you enoyed Kill Bill Volume 1 then you'll probably enjoy this. If you get a bit squeamish watching that bit with the choking dog in Babe 2: Pig In the City, then you probably won't. The choice is yours.....
ImageFor further information on:- Dean Holdsworth Call Celeb Agents on 0870 765 9696

Natasha
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Natasha » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:40 am

Bench wrote:Not a fan of Brad Pitt particularly, especially since the travesty that was Troy.
I will ignore that post as you are clearly still suffering from the shock of Robert signing for Bolton.

Brad Pitt is a superb actor and has been in some of the best films EVER. Fight Club, 12 Monkeys, Oceans Eleven, Seven etc. Not to mention his small part in True Romance which made a magnificent film even better.

If there's a cooler 40+ guy around I'd like to meet him :D

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:45 am

Natasha wrote:
Well, it's your lucky day, Nat! Pleased to meet you.

:oyea:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Natasha
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Natasha » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:50 am

Zulus! Thousands of 'em! wrote: Well, it's your lucky day, Nat! Pleased to meet you.

I'll need photographic evidence.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:51 am

Natasha wrote:
Zulus! Thousands of 'em! wrote: Well, it's your lucky day, Nat! Pleased to meet you.

I'll need photographic evidence.
Damn! My cunning plan foiled by a technicality!

:hang:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:59 pm

Sin City sucked.

The reason is probably all of the hype behind it, everybody saying it was fkn awesome. I heard so much of that, my expectations were probably to high.

Looking back on it, it was alright I suppose. For me the stories were just to slow and got boring after a while, the Bruce Willis story was the worst one (apart from Jessica Alba)

My favorite story was the first one with hard as fk dude, Marv or something like that.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:26 pm

Natasha wrote:
Bench wrote:Not a fan of Brad Pitt particularly, especially since the travesty that was Troy.
I will ignore that post as you are clearly still suffering from the shock of Robert signing for Bolton.

Brad Pitt is a superb actor and has been in some of the best films EVER. Fight Club, 12 Monkeys, Oceans Eleven, Seven etc. Not to mention his small part in True Romance which made a magnificent film even better.

Quality films such as 'Legends of the Fall'?

Quality films such as 'Thelma & Louise'?

Gimme a break!! He's done 2 good fliks!

Seven was awesome, 12 Monkeys was good (bettered by Bruce Willis, NOT Pitt)

... and Ocean's 11? Gawd awful tat.

...Fight Club? Ed Norton gives a stellar performance, whereas our Brad is average.
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:30 pm

mofgimmers wrote: Seven was awesome, 12 Monkeys was good (bettered by Bruce Willis, NOT Pitt)

... and Ocean's 11? Gawd awful tat.

...Fight Club? Ed Norton gives a stellar performance, whereas our Brad is average.
Agreed on that.

Nobody beat Tom Cruise, that guy is an awesome actor.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:39 pm

f**kin' hell fire. Tom... Cruise?
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:41 pm

Yeah he has appeared in quality films.

Top Gun
Rain Man
Jerry Maguire
Minority Report
Collateral

they are just off the top of my head.

Also, War of the World looks fkn amazing.

:edit:

He has just lost some brownie points, as i've seen on IMDB that he is making a Mission Impossible 3. No neeeeeeed.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:53 pm

You're having me on aren't you... you're surely trying to get a rise?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:05 pm

mofgimmers wrote:You're having me on aren't you... you're surely trying to get a rise?

KEVIN IS IMPRESSED BY CAR WHEELS, SO NO, PROBABLY NOT
Sto ut Serviam

Super_Kevin_Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Super_Kevin_Davies » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:11 am

pigsfoot
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by pigsfoot » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:16 am

Super_Kevin_Davies wrote:Can't beat a bit of Mr.Keanu :pray:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/S ... Keanu1.bmp
You slag me off for telling people you are a girl that will degenerate this forum, then you prove me right :roll:

Super_Kevin_Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Super_Kevin_Davies » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:17 am

pigsfoot wrote:
You slag me off for telling people you are a girl that will degenerate this forum, then you prove me right :roll:
I was waiting for that response pigsfoot :grin:
Glad to oblige :lol:

pigsfoot
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by pigsfoot » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:26 am

Super_Kevin_Davies wrote:
pigsfoot wrote:
I was waiting for that response pigsfoot :grin:
Glad to oblige :lol:
Why don't you go the whole hog and post some recipes
:conf: