The Film Review Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:07 am

Marshall wrote:Is the movie Troy as wrong as they say it is? I notice you said you have read bits of the Iliad in Greek, I've read parts in Latin and was told not to watch the film before my exam because it is incredibly inaccurate. Correct or a bit of an exageration?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332452/goofs

Just found this and I think it deals with the main issues.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:03 am

Batman wrote:'Last House on the Left' now.................wes craven
I like dark films, my dvd collection has Saw, original Ring, Halloween, Friday 13th etc in there so I don't mind blood, violence and horror. But this is an appalling film, it has little or nothing redeemable about it, nothing more than some piece of repellant salacious voyeurism. Nauseous at best, vomit inducing exploitation at worst. Don't waste your time.

If you want something stark and graphic watch Henry: Portrait of a serial killer. A very difficult film to watch because of its subject matter and the very cold way in which acts are shown but it is much more documentary in its approach and style.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TonyZicoKelly

Post by TonyZicoKelly » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:48 am

Went to watch Saw II at the weekend.

Although being somewhat predictable I still found it an enjoying watch. Mainly to find out what the inevitable twist at the end would be.

Not as good as the first, but I think a lot of that can be put down to the fact that the shock factor isn't there this time around - well, at least not to the same extent.

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:30 pm

Just watched American Beauty, very good, but there was something about it...

Image Image

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:31 am

TonyZicoKelly wrote:Went to watch Saw II at the weekend.

Although being somewhat predictable I still found it an enjoying watch. Mainly to find out what the inevitable twist at the end would be.

Not as good as the first, but I think a lot of that can be put down to the fact that the shock factor isn't there this time around - well, at least not to the same extent.
aye, saw it sunday. after hearing mixed reviews was a bit iffy about going but was very good, they continue to invent some nasty scenarios

twist at the end was excellent

TonyZicoKelly

Post by TonyZicoKelly » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:33 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:

aye, saw it sunday. after hearing mixed reviews was a bit iffy about going but was very good, they continue to invent some nasty scenarios

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. They left it open for a third which I think may be stretching it a tad.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:38 am

TonyZicoKelly wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. They left it open for a third which I think may be stretching it a tad.
this is the film industry, do we honestly expect them to come up with something new so soon?

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:13 pm

Ive got DOOM to watch tonight. This is a film ive been waiting to watch all year and cant wait to put it on (huge DOOM fan)

Ill review it tomorrow.
Ive got DOOM to watch tonight.
By that I obviously mean im off to the cinema to watch it Image
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:15 pm

I've got it on DVD at home, was meant to watch it last night. (a proper DVD rip as well)

It's meant to be shit, but I will no doubt love it.

I watched Unleashed last night, that was pretty good. The fighting (what there is of it) kicks ass.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:20 pm

keveh wrote:I've got it on DVD at home, was meant to watch it last night. (a proper DVD rip as well)

1. It's meant to be shit, but I will no doubt love it.

2. I watched Unleashed last night, that was pretty good. The fighting (what there is of it) kicks ass.
1. I am very much the same. If the critics say a fantasy/Si FI/ action film is poop, then I just know i'm going to enjoy it :D

2. That just tells me that you haven't seen Ong - Bak.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:21 pm

Ong-Bak is poo !

Anyway Narnia, don't bother. Especially with a 5 year old. Far too violent for young uns!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:27 pm

Fk Narnia, fk it right in the ass!

I have never liked it as a book, or a tv show, so i am definatly not going to watch it in a cinema!

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:35 pm

for the ong bak people here
try Tom Yum Goong, saw it whilst in Thailand last month. the new Tony Jaa film, its fkn amazing, is available on Mininova.org on torrents, its better than Ong Bak

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:42 pm

keveh wrote:Fk Narnia, fk it right in the ass!

I have never liked it as a book, or a tv show, so i am definatly not going to watch it in a cinema!
SPot on, have you not already downloaded and ripped it ?

No, didn't think so that i sillegal ! :P

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:01 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Image

Crash

In a film-making climate of sticking to franchises for a safe and predictable level of success (I notice that a Jurrassic Park IV is on its way out), it is with some regret that I find myself criticising this film for being a bit 'over-ambitious'. It tries to make incisive racial observations... but fails and tends to fall back on the portrayal of stereotype. It also tries to mix several storylines and characters into one film; it's not an easy trick to pull off and it's not one that this director did. The link between all these chracters is also an unsatisfying ending to it all: the idea that we're all connected in some way is far less ground-breaking than the film shows an appreciation of. There are a few interesting individual performances: Sandra Bullock plays a distinctly 'uncongenial' role, Matt Dillon plays the racist W.A.S.P. cop very well, and Jennifer Epositio plays a small, but visually pleasing part. I don't know where Ryan Phillipe's career has gone since his role in Cruel Intentions, but he was very unimpressive.

All in all, a watchable film, but it has far less to say than it thinks it does.

Well, maybe I was wrong and it does say a lot. This year's Oscar for Best Picture.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:39 am

Then again, so did Forrest Gump, which is the worst film ever ever ever to win an Oscar.

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:44 am

Gave myself a little taster, Watched X-Men and X2 yesterday.

Not as good as I remember.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:52 am

I saw Batman Begins for the first time at the weekend.

Ferkin terrible. Some great actors in myopic roles. Awful stuff.
Smarties have answers.....

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:53 am

woah

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:46 pm

plodder wrote:Gave myself a little taster, Watched X-Men and X2 yesterday.

Not as good as I remember.
Ive seen both fecking loads of times because i had coursework on them last year (posted it a couple of pages back).