The Film Review Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:36 pm

mofgimmers wrote:You're having me on aren't you... you're surely trying to get a rise?
what is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:37 pm

keveh wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:You're having me on aren't you... you're surely trying to get a rise?
what is wrong with Tom Cruise?
Surely you jest? If you must fish Kev, please don't make it so obvious...........
Smarties have answers.....

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:38 pm

No seriously, I think that he is a great actor and has been in some great films.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:46 pm

keveh wrote:been in some great films.

SO WAS LASSIE
Sto ut Serviam

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:49 pm

he is still an actor now, and i don't know about you but i can't predict how good future films will be.

like i said in a previous post, War of the Worlds looks great.

so for now, he has been in some great film which for me makes him a good actor.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:53 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

SO WAS LASSIE
Is this a sensitive side emerging?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:55 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

SO WAS LASSIE
Is this a sensitive side emerging?

FROM A NEANDERTHAL FATTY?

CAN'T SEE IT, CAN YOU :conf:
Sto ut Serviam

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:36 pm

Natasha wrote:
Bench wrote:Not a fan of Brad Pitt particularly, especially since the travesty that was Troy.
I will ignore that post as you are clearly still suffering from the shock of Robert signing for Bolton.

Brad Pitt is a superb actor and has been in some of the best films EVER. Fight Club, 12 Monkeys, Oceans Eleven, Seven etc. Not to mention his small part in True Romance which made a magnificent film even better.

If there's a cooler 40+ guy around I'd like to meet him :D
I havent always agreed quotes you have posted Nat but I must agree that although Im for from a "what brads in it? well Im getting the pirate copy because I cant wait" crew, I cant think of a film the guy has done badly. As for the post about Troy damn right it was a crxp film but I think Pitt stoped it from being in the top five crxp fims of all time. He played his role better then any other actor in hollywood could have and pretty much saved the film.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

War of the Worlds

Post by Bench » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:09 am

Made the terrible of mistake of going to watch War of the Worlds last night. If you're a fan of the original Jules Vern classic, then my advice would be to steer well clear. Now some of you would have done so anyway, noting that a certain Mr Cruise is the lead actor, but I went with an open mind - and Tom Cruise has done a few good films in the past amongst some real clangers (MI2?).

Anyway, in true American-style, they've almost ripped the original story to pieces. The only surviving elements of this classic is the voice over at the beginning and the end. Everything in between is just another excuse for huge epic landscapes, lots of CGI and special effects to marvel at and Tom Cruise running away from it all.

Seriously - its terrible. Cruise plays a very two dimensional character - which I think is more down to the script in this case than his acting ability. He's left with his two estranged kids while his ex-wife and hubby jaunt of to Boston to go to her 'mothers'. They obviously hate him, or at least have very little in-common or understanding of their father, and he wants to take the line of least resistance in terms of any parenting or family values.

And thats about it. Just as you are getting used to this very one-demsional middle-America dysfunctional family th'aliens land in their tripods and start to wipe everyone and everything out for no discernible reason. Cruise grabs kids and a box of food, jumps in the car and travels across America to Boston just so he can drop of his kids with his ex-wife. Yep - I didn't really get that either.......

Normally I'm a fan of Spielberg, but this did not compare in any way, shape or farm to his cult classic Close Encounters of The Third Kind, at least this was believable in its relative simplicity. Spielberg has taken classic science fiction, taken the parts that define the original story (the beginning and the end) and rewritten everything in between for the sake of a few special effects in the hope of winning an award or three.

You'll note that I haven't bitched yet about the fact that the film is no longer set in Victorian England and the story transplanted in middle America. Americans are so insular it makes me furious. Its bad enough that they have ruined a classic, but I'll never forgive them for the travesty of that film U-571, which portrayed a British mission that captured the Enigma machine as being solely American. In gfact, their ieas of superiority are summed up in a couple of lines during the film, just after the Tripods have landed......

Tom Cruise: These things.....they came from......

Cruise's Son: Are they terrorists?

Tom Cruise: No, they're not terrorists......they came from.....somewhere else......

Cruise's Son: Like Europe?

See what I mean? :crazy:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:21 am

Sad to hear that Bench as I plan on going seeing it sometime in the near future.

As far as ripping the story to peices and changing it to be all American. It's almost the in-thing at the moment with American film makers. I'm just glad its not all 'lets be loud and obnoxious'.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:34 pm

What Bench put has made me even more determined not to see that joke of a film!!! One small point it was H G Wells that wrote the book not Jules Verne

Tossers!! As for Brad Pitt was he in the one about meeting death with that fellow from Silence of the Lambs, what a pile of boring drivel that was!!
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:52 pm

Found that our earlier today Talie. I was so sure it was Jules Vern.....can't believe I got the creator of such a classic wrong........ :roll:

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:27 pm

Having never really watch the original series of A Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, I was a bit weary of a hollywood Block Buster. I was to be pleasantly surprised. The one thing that is true throughout the film is its British oragins and humour. The plot really takes a back seat and gives way to the character familierisation. In most Hollywood films this would be suicide yet in this it works a treat. Saying that, dont think for one min that they have concentrated on character rather then the spectacular, nothing could be more from the truth. There are some incredable visuals throughout this film (the rebuiding of a galaxy and a certain planet is eye watering) As for the humour??? put it this way the yanks will spend most of there time stratching there heads!!! Yes its that funny.

out of five: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:53 am

Madagascar, any of you with kids betwteen 3-6 take them they'll love it, just take a book for yourself!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:58 am

i got that a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty funny.

got it for my girlfriend and was thinking, gawwwwd this is going to be shit, but turned out to be quite good.

it's really short which helped as well, can't be doing with a 2hr long kiddy film.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:09 am

@ Tom Cruise thingy....I think the guys a prick...after all he LEFT Nicole, that alone should disqualify him from any praise....he's a top pillock :aveit:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:56 am

Just found this....for all you Star Wars fans...

http://www.bangingtunes.com/forum/topic/t22233/

enjoy
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

kagni
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kagni » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:34 am

keveh wrote:i got that a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty funny.

got it for my girlfriend and was thinking, gawwwwd this is going to be shit, but turned out to be quite good.

it's really short which helped as well, can't be doing with a 2hr long kiddy film.
Exactly how old is your girlfriend?

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:46 am

InsaneApache wrote:Just found this....for all you Star Wars fans...

http://www.bangingtunes.com/forum/topic/t22233/

enjoy
And people paid to see this for serious. I wish I could have been there for the comedy value....

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:50 am

kagni wrote:
keveh wrote:i got that a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty funny.

Exactly how old is your girlfriend?
:stalker: