The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by thebish » Sat May 05, 2012 2:29 pm

TTID wrote:O/T but now that only 2 games of the season remain the possibility (albeit still extremely slim) of GG doing & naked streak is on the cards can someone fill me in on the full details? Could be the biggest thing to happen in Sussex for many a year & i wouldn't want to miss it obviously.

Cheers

:twisted: :oops: :oyea:

not that likely given that Van Persie is beating Norwich 3-2...

oh :( scrub that... 3-3

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun May 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Great first run back after injury this afternoon. 10 miles at 8.32 per mile with no major aches or pains. - a relief.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 07, 2012 7:57 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Great first run back after injury this afternoon. 10 miles at 8.32 per mile with no major aches or pains. - a relief.

Good to hear HG. After my shock news last Wednesday I'm trying to rein it in a bit and lessen the distance work. I was I formed that my Piriformis syndrome was, in fact, a fractured Sacrum. So no marathon for me next year. A few halfs though. :0)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Great first run back after injury this afternoon. 10 miles at 8.32 per mile with no major aches or pains. - a relief.

Good to hear HG. After my shock news last Wednesday I'm trying to rein it in a bit and lessen the distance work. I was I formed that my Piriformis syndrome was, in fact, a fractured Sacrum. So no marathon for me next year. A few halfs though. :0)
I've just googled that :shock: . Bloody ell sounds nasty - how did you do that? Is rest the best way to heal it?

If I can have an injury free spell I might not bother with London next year and go for the Preston marathon in October. My aim is to do 1 sub 4 hour marathon and then sack ever going beyond halfs.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

I've just googled that :shock: . Bloody ell sounds nasty - how did you do that? Is rest the best way to heal it?

If I can have an injury free spell I might not bother with London next year and go for the Preston marathon in October. My aim is to do 1 sub 4 hour marathon and then sack ever going beyond halfs.
Not sure how I did it. The 5 weeks out I had obviously healed it sufficiently to help me get round. I want to do a sub 4 hr too, then never do the distance again.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue May 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Righto, I'm consistently managing my 5k in less than 30 minutes and I'm happy with that bearing in mind the mountains around here

However, there's a few subjects I would appreciate some advice on

Eating, breathing, drinking and spitting

What/when should I be eating - I generally run about 8pm

Breathing - mouth? nose? when?

Drinking - before, during and after?

Spitting - acceptable, necessary?
Sto ut Serviam

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 08, 2012 10:08 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Righto, I'm consistently managing my 5k in less than 30 minutes and I'm happy with that bearing in mind the mountains around here

Well done CAPS, good going. Dont be afraid to chop and change and find out what works for you best. Personally, I like to run after my evening meal and after at least a good 2 hours - that way I feel like I've burnt my tea off. If that doesn't suit, a banana and some malt loaf an hour or so before then a light tea afterwards perhaps?

Breathing - I've tried a couple of different options in the past but found just doing what comes naturally the best i.e. take in and expel air anyway possible. Most running photos have me mouth agape - not pretty but effective.

Drinking - Depends on distance really. At 5 or 10k a half pint of water or a good swig of Lucozade sport before you set off should see you right. Once you up your miles fluid becomes more important. After - I do a half pint of milk then water as feels right.

Spitting & snot rockets - often necessary but always done discreetly 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Spitting & snot rockets - often necessary but always done discreetly 8)
Sometimes I look like Ralph Coates! :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 am

Feet have been aching like mad since the marathon...any amount of walking and the balls of my feet really start having a strop. However, all seems to be well now(ish) so going to give parkrun another bash on Saturday :)

Also had this amusing conversation on saturday with a parkrun marshal last weekend:

V: "Yeah I was going to run this week but my feet are still hurting from last week's marathon"

PM: "Ah good man. I've been injured for most of this season. Ran the Vienna marathon last month, but I injured my achilles before it so didn't really do very well."

V: "What time?"

PM: "2 hours and 57 minutes"

V: "Feck off*"

*I didn't say that.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 am

My kinda thread, wahay.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Verbal wrote:Feet have been aching like mad since the marathon...any amount of walking and the balls of my feet really start having a strop. However, all seems to be well now(ish) so going to give parkrun another bash on Saturday :)

Also had this amusing conversation on saturday with a parkrun marshal last weekend:

V: "Yeah I was going to run this week but my feet are still hurting from last week's marathon"

PM: "Ah good man. I've been injured for most of this season. Ran the Vienna marathon last month, but I injured my achilles before it so didn't really do very well."

V: "What time?"

PM: "2 hours and 57 minutes"

V: "Feck off*"

*I didn't say that.

My next door neighbour's son in law ran London. He was 'disappointed' to run 2:45 as he was looking to break 2:30. I felt his pain. Not. :evil:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 09, 2012 12:16 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Righto, I'm consistently managing my 5k in less than 30 minutes and I'm happy with that bearing in mind the mountains around here

Eat no more than two hours before you run. Don't eat a lot. Try a bowl of porridge with some honey and banana. When you've finished try and eat protein within half an hour as you metabolism breks it down really easily and helps to feed the tired muscles.

Yes, do breathe. As frequently as you need to. Oxygen is directed to the area that needs it most. Pant like a dog if you want.

Shorter distances don't need much. Make sure you're well hydrated by drinking water throughout the day. You'll pee more but it's a small price. Plus having water in your belly means you won't feel as hungry so you won't be tempted to snack.

Spit into the road or verge if you can. Some people need to (like me). Other people don't seem to.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed May 09, 2012 8:11 pm

So. Who's claiming to be the fastest on here then?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:So. Who's claiming to be the fastest on here then?
Over what sort of distance, Chief?

Not me, anyway. Clearly I'm the forum slowcoach, but then I'm 45 and have no shortage of heft! ;)

Was going to go for a run tonight but it's pissing it down. If you have a look back through this thread, thebish, some months/pages back, posted up a link to this NHS Couch to 5K programme, and quite a few of us have done that to a level where we do the 5K Parkruns.

The forum marathon men are Verbal, Harry Genshaw and Hermes the Enfield. Gooner Girl is an all round swimming, athletic-ing, footballing and running good egg, coach and teacher. Capslock is the most recent one to take running up and is doing impressively well (and runs in the rain - I know this because I drove past him whilst he was at it the other day).

Why don't you nip over to the new member's thread and tell us a little bit about yourself, Fella? Oh, and welcome to the site. :pissed:

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 pm

100 metres..........nobody would beat me.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Not me, I'm a right cart horse over 100 or 200 metres.

Just heard I've been called up as a late replacement for our team in the Calderdale Way relay on Sunday. My partner is slightly quicker than I am and has ran a lot of marathons so no pressure - plus we've got the last and longest leg of 10 miles. Just hope the leg holds up :?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 pm

We've never really gotten that far. If you read back most of what we discuss is how to improve what we do. However I'd be interested to know more about what you do and how fast if you'd care to publish it.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat May 12, 2012 12:43 pm

TTID wrote:O/T but now that only 2 games of the season remain the possibility (albeit still extremely slim) of GG doing & naked streak is on the cards can someone fill me in on the full details? Could be the biggest thing to happen in Sussex for many a year & i wouldn't want to miss it obviously.

Cheers

Bet we don't see you back here for a while if Arsenal do win tomorrow. (And the venue is a closely guarded secret. Noone knows it ;) )

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

Cheers

Bet we don't see you back here for a while if Arsenal do win tomorrow. (And the venue is a closely guarded secret. Noone knows it ;) )
I do - and I'm cheaply bought! :twisted:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat May 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Have been very lazyt recently. Am eating complete crap and not doing any exercise at all, football has finished for the season and i haven't been running either. Finding it really hard to get back into it. I need to bite the bullet and enter a race to give me some motivation. That and my footy manager told me the other day he's going to use the bleep test in pre-season training :shock: