The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:04 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Was supposed to go for a run with a friend this evening but she turned up having lost her training kit...

do PE teachers really still fall for this???

Yes. You should have just made her do it in her pants.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Was supposed to go for a run with a friend this evening but she turned up having lost her training kit...

do PE teachers really still fall for this???

Yes. You should have just made her do it in her pants.
:D Funnily enough this is frowned upon in schools now. Shame as there are some perpetual kit forgetters who probably wouldn't do it again if they had PE in knickers and vest! ;)

Plus Hazel is bigger then me so i wouldn't suggest it! Oldest friend or not, i think there are limits!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Was supposed to go for a run with a friend this evening but she turned up having lost her training kit and suggested a power walk instead. Feeling a little like old women we went off through the nature reserve, over the field and back down the village high street and over the common. Not far but convinced me that rather then being obsessed with improving my time over flat pavements i would really rather run in the countryside. Plus watching my footing and the extra balancing involved running off road might strengthen my core more and help my flabby tummy. One can hope anyway...
Well you need to do something about that because you're as fat as a barrel ;)
i didn't say FAT, i said flabby! I need to tone!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
i didn't say FAT, i said flabby! I need to tone!
Desist with this nonsense, woman. You're neither. :whack:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:21 am

Hard session again at the track last night.

4x800m

200m at 10k pace then 200m surge. Repeat.

200m jog recovery between sets.

Then 1600m at race pace

Short session but a good one. Pleased to be at the back of the leading pack (I'm usually front to middle of the second group) and beating people I normally can't get near. Really enjoying my running at the moment.

I have a 10k race next Wednesay wher I'm hoping to break 44:00 for the first time this year.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Hard session again at the track last night.

4x800m

Then 1600m at race pace

Short session but a good one. Pleased to be at the back of the leading pack (I'm usually front to middle of the second group) and beating people I normally can't get near. Really enjoying my running at the moment.

I have a 10k race next Wednesay wher I'm hoping to break 44:00 for the first time this year.
Sounds like a good session GtE, and great that you're really noticing an improvement in your running after all the training for the marathon. You may well smash 44 min next wednesday!

We did discus and endurance with our intermediates last night. Endurance was a bit of interval training, working on speeding up and slowing down the pace (which most of them are rubbish at - they just want to bomb it all the way round the track...)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 am

Gooner Girl wrote:

4x800m

Then 1600m at race pace

Sounds like a good session GtE, and great that you're really noticing an improvement in your running after all the training for the marathon. You may well smash 44 min next wednesday!

We did discus and endurance with our intermediates last night. Endurance was a bit of interval training, working on speeding up and slowing down the pace (which most of them are rubbish at - they just want to bomb it all the way round the track...)

The only problem with endurance training on the track is it doesn't prepare you for when you encounter a hill. The sessions I do on Saturday mornings is either a pendulum of hills (down one, up another, then turn round and run back) with effort on the uphill sections, or a figure of 8 around a sloping field continuous effort.

Both sessions are 30 minutes after which we do some uphill sprints and then pressups, lungers and squats. Continuous motion for around 5- minutes in total. Lovely! :grin:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:34 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

4x800m

Then 1600m at race pace

The only problem with endurance training on the track is it doesn't prepare you for when you encounter a hill. The sessions I do on Saturday mornings is either a pendulum of hills (down one, up another, then turn round and run back) with effort on the uphill sections, or a figure of 8 around a sloping field continuous effort.

Both sessions are 30 minutes after which we do some uphill sprints and then pressups, lungers and squats. Continuous motion for around 5- minutes in total. Lovely! :grin:
Track is fine for our year 8-10's (intermediate group) as most of them will be racing round the track - though we do do some hill work in the winter. Our endurance group LOVE the track - (not sure why as its rare any one of them turn out on track - they all road race or do cross country) but they always moan in summer if their session doesn't have some track work in. It can get a bit crowded, what with the sprints group using it too! The endurance group do go off and do hills round fields near the track too, one advantage of a grass track is that it's on a HUGE playing field so plenty of space for them to go off track and do their own thing too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:31 pm

ok - so I have a diagnosis..

apparently I have right patella tendon tendinopathy (AKA "jumper's knee")

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:01 pm

thebish wrote:ok - so I have a diagnosis..

Jumpers knee?! :lol: when was the last time you did any jumping?! old gimmers aches and pains, more like ;)

Awww, I'm sorry hun, that wasn't very sympathetic of me. Do you need it kissed better?! ;)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:12 pm

I just wanted to post on here my respects to a man you don't know. John Bathe was a member of my running club and, up until he became ill last year, was a key member of our club. He regularly led sessions, warm ups and was an inspiration for me personally. John became ill with an aggressive form of bone cancer last year and was undergoing treatment. He lost his life this morning. John was 83 years young. God bless John.
Last edited by Gary the Enfield on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:ok - so I have a diagnosis..

Jumpers knee?! :lol: when was the last time you did any jumping?! old gimmers aches and pains, more like ;)

if you say so hun...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:I just wanted to post on here my respects to a man you don't know. John Bathe was a member of my running club and, up until he became ill last year, was a key member of our club. He regularly led sessions, warm ups and was an inspiration for me personally. John became ill with an aggressive form of bone cancer last year and was undergoing treatment. He lost his life this morning. John was 83 years young. God bless John.
Sorry to hear that GtE. :(

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:I just wanted to post on here my respects to a man you don't know. John Bathe was a member of my running club and, up until he became ill last year, was a key member of our club. He regularly led sessions, warm ups and was an inspiration for me personally. John became ill with an aggressive form of bone cancer last year and was undergoing treatment. He lost his life this morning. John was 83 years young. God bless John.
My thoughts are with you, Buddy :(

RIP John.
May the bridges I burn light your way

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 pm

The legend that is Joss Naylor:
http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2 ... s-jubilee/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and to bring the story up to date:

http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/ir ... rPath=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Spent the evening chasing after coaches persuading them to try on jackets to get sizes for their flashy new coats and teaching the teenagers the subtle differences between sprint starts on the straight and on the bend. Lovely weather helped, as did the random man playing bagpipes at the side of the track! :conf:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:43 pm

10k completed in 43:48 (unofficial) only 1 second outside my pb and 3.5 minutes faster than on the same course last year!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am

I need to get out tonight

Found a hill that beat me on Sunday and had to walk

Knocked the old confidence - tis a beast mind

Up past Old Holts if anybody knows it
Sto ut Serviam

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:10k completed in 43:48 (unofficial) only 1 second outside my pb and 3.5 minutes faster than on the same course last year!

Just found out. Official time 43:47. I matched my pb. On a tougher course too. Smashing! :mrgreen:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:10k completed in 43:48 (unofficial) only 1 second outside my pb and 3.5 minutes faster than on the same course last year!

Just found out. Official time 43:47. I matched my pb. On a tougher course too. Smashing! :mrgreen:
Well done Gary - looks like your back to yer best :oyea:

Personally, I've been having a bit of a mare of late and just wasn't enjoying my running. Did a road/trail race last night and felt lethargic throughout. Fortunately, I'd decided to have a bash at 'Aggies Staircase' a fell race over at Darwen tonight. Had a good run and really felt like I'd got my mojo back and happily no ill effects from 2 races on consecutive nights.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"