The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:11 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:... and you get welcomed into South Shields by the Red Arrows! (You won't notice them at the start because you'll be running with approximately 50,00 other people.
Well, they're practicing over our house this week. I thought it was for NATO.

Mind you, so are the attack aircraft, been over every day this week, several times some days. Draw your own conclusions.
You're about to barred from England?
Hence being exiled just over the border !!

Surely you couldn't be barred from Wales!

You would have to seriously raise your obnoxiousness and argumentativeness game to rise above that steaming morass of humanity! :shock:

p.s. You're welcome.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:54 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:... and you get welcomed into South Shields by the Red Arrows! (You won't notice them at the start because you'll be running with approximately 50,00 other people.
Well, they're practicing over our house this week. I thought it was for NATO.

Mind you, so are the attack aircraft, been over every day this week, several times some days. Draw your own conclusions.
You're about to barred from England?
Hence being exiled just over the border !!

Surely you couldn't be barred from Wales!

You would have to seriously raise your obnoxiousness and argumentativeness game to rise above that steaming morass of humanity! :shock:
To be fair, he'd only have to sit in the pub, or stand at the post office counter whining and blame it on the English.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 am

Hands up if you learned to swim right here!!!!! :D

May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:08 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Hands up if you learned to swim right here!!!!! :D

Moss Street? Not sure as I can't see any Cockroaches.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:17 am

Gary the Enfield wrote: Moss Street? Not sure as I can't see any Cockroaches.
That'll have been taken just after I'd been in and swallowed them all. :vomit:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:20 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote: Moss Street? Not sure as I can't see any Cockroaches.
That'll have been taken just after I'd been in and swallowed them all. :vomit:

Got my 10 length certificate in there and that was the end of my swimming 'education' until 3 years ago.

Good preparation for open water swimming though, what with all the insects, larvae and other critters in the water. :?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:22 am

That looks grim. Gaskell Baths in Heywood were posh compared to that. Never thought Heywood and posh would appear in the same sentence :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:30 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:That looks grim. Gaskell Baths in Heywood were posh compared to that. Never thought Heywood and posh would appear in the same sentence :shock:
Aye. But it had the best Hot Choccie machine, like, just, EVER!!!! :)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:That looks grim. Gaskell Baths in Heywood were posh compared to that. Never thought Heywood and posh would appear in the same sentence :shock:

Agreed. Absolutely.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think we just had one of those robbing vending machines that ate your money as well as your space invaders :evil:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:27 pm

We used to go from St Simon's and Jude's to High Street Baths in Great Lever. Similarly grim and smelt very strongly of piss. I loved swimming though so it was a price worth paying. My first swimming lessons were at Initial Swim School just off Deane Road. That's still going but at a different place. One of the lads in my class was future goalkeeper Carlo Nash.
Story!

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mrplow » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
mrplow wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
mrplow wrote:Doing the Great North Run this weekend, first ever half marathon, to say I'm apprehensive would be rather understating it. Seemed like a good idea when I applied, seems like total madness now.
Enjoy it! I would say - don't set off to fast - but it's so packed I reckon you'll be lucky to break into more than a mild jog for the 1st 2 miles!

Good luck :oyea:
Thanks. Not expecting much more than a mild jog for the whole race tbh.

Running it with my daughter, who is quite quick, and hoping for a PB. I'm guaranteed a PB ;-)

I did this 2 years ago. Look out for the hill between mile 10 and 11. It's a shocker. After that there is a half mile steep descent and then a flat finish along the sea front. The rest of the race is great. Well supported, well organised and you get welcomed into South Shields by the Red Arrows! (You won't notice them at the start because you'll be running with approximately 50,00 other people.

Have a great time.
Thanks for the warning about the hill, that was useful to know. Got round in one piece and enjoyed the day. My daugher did it in 1hr 30 and was in the top 75 women overall so very chuffed for her.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:21 pm

mrplow wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
mrplow wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
mrplow wrote:Doing the Great North Run this weekend, first ever half marathon, to say I'm apprehensive would be rather understating it. Seemed like a good idea when I applied, seems like total madness now.
Enjoy it! I would say - don't set off to fast - but it's so packed I reckon you'll be lucky to break into more than a mild jog for the 1st 2 miles!

Good luck :oyea:
Thanks. Not expecting much more than a mild jog for the whole race tbh.

Running it with my daughter, who is quite quick, and hoping for a PB. I'm guaranteed a PB ;-)

I did this 2 years ago. Look out for the hill between mile 10 and 11. It's a shocker. After that there is a half mile steep descent and then a flat finish along the sea front. The rest of the race is great. Well supported, well organised and you get welcomed into South Shields by the Red Arrows! (You won't notice them at the start because you'll be running with approximately 50,00 other people.

Have a great time.
Thanks for the warning about the hill, that was useful to know. Got round in one piece and enjoyed the day. My daugher did it in 1hr 30 and was in the top 75 women overall so very chuffed for her.

That's fantastic, tell her well done from me. What time did you do?

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mrplow » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
mrplow wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
mrplow wrote: Thanks. Not expecting much more than a mild jog for the whole race tbh.

Have a great time.

That's fantastic, tell her well done from me. What time did you do?
It took me an hour longer than her.... ;)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Well in Mr P. As for the junior Plowess :pray:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:41 pm

This won't mean much to many if any, but as part of my run tonight, and for the first time ever (it's also the first time that I've ever even attempted it) I ran all the way up Hough Fold Way. :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Hands up if you learned to swim right here!!!!! :D
Certainly did, although it was in quite a bit better nick back in 1950. Not shown on the pic are 5'6" and 7' 6" bits. The diving boards were at the near end over the "deep" end. Didn't have hot choc machines back then, but the penny Brylcreem machine did good trade. Twas about that time I got approached by one of those blokes who liked little boys in there. It's the truth.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:This won't mean much to many if any, but as part of my run tonight, and for the first time ever (it's also the first time that I've ever even attempted it) I ran all the way up Hough Fold Way. :)
Kudos! :pray: That's a long way!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:07 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:This won't mean much to many if any, but as part of my run tonight, and for the first time ever (it's also the first time that I've ever even attempted it) I ran all the way up Hough Fold Way. :)
Kudos! :pray: That's a long way!!
Cheers mate. Despite having driven up it 1,000 times I didn't realise until tonight that it actually gets even steeper towards the top. :hang:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:12 pm

I regret to say that I am doubtful for the Bolton Park Run at the end of October.

My MRI scan has confirmed a torn lateral Meniscus which, with rest, may heal. Worst case scenario I will need surgery to repair it but won't know this for a further 4 weeks.

I have to concentrate on the Ironman next year and so stopping now means I'll start the recuperation sooner. I can still swim and cycle though so I shouldn't balloon to the size of a small planetoid.

Sorry Chaps. I may still attend and cheer on so please, Bruce, keep me updated.

Yours,

Pissed off of Enfield