The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Just returned from another thrilling Haywards Heath Harriers committee meeting, they kind of resemble the ones in the 'Vicar of Dibley', you know, one sane woman (me in case you were wondering! ;)) sitting round a table with a load of mad, middle aged men endlessly debating the same topic wanting to bang her head against the table in frustration and despair...

Anyway... this particular endless loop was all about race cut off times and should we have one for our 30 miler across the south downs that we hold every year. Reason given that several marshalls (club volunteers) end up waiting an extra hour or so just for one or two people who really shouldn't have attempted the race to plod round... (we even had one guy walk the shorter 5 miler we also run - and stop to TAKE PHOTOS! :shock: )

Was wondering Harry and Gary, do many of the races you run have cut off times? i am sure it wouldn't affect you 2 super speedy runners anyway, but has it ever been an issue at your club? do all longer races normally have them?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:12 pm

All your lots knees hips ankles and the odd back will be fecked by the time you lot are 60 and you'll end up clogging NHS waiting lists, selfish sods!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Hoboh wrote:All your lots knees hips ankles and the odd back will be fecked by the time you lot are 60 and you'll end up clogging NHS waiting lists, selfish sods!
But by the time I'm 60 you'll be dead and in no need of the NHS, so don't worry your pretty little head about it hoboh ;)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:19 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Hoboh wrote:All your lots knees hips ankles and the odd back will be fecked by the time you lot are 60 and you'll end up clogging NHS waiting lists, selfish sods!
But by the time I'm 60 you'll be dead and in no need of the NHS, so don't worry your pretty little head about it hoboh ;)
Nice post!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 am

Gooner Girl wrote:Just returned from another thrilling Haywards Heath Harriers committee meeting, they kind of resemble the ones in the 'Vicar of Dibley', you know, one sane woman (me in case you were wondering! ;)) sitting round a table with a load of mad, middle aged men endlessly debating the same topic wanting to bang her head against the table in frustration and despair...

Anyway... this particular endless loop was all about race cut off times and should we have one for our 30 miler across the south downs that we hold every year. Reason given that several marshalls (club volunteers) end up waiting an extra hour or so just for one or two people who really shouldn't have attempted the race to plod round... (we even had one guy walk the shorter 5 miler we also run - and stop to TAKE PHOTOS! :shock: )

Was wondering Harry and Gary, do many of the races you run have cut off times? i am sure it wouldn't affect you 2 super speedy runners anyway, but has it ever been an issue at your club? do all longer races normally have them?

On the shorter runs (5k handicap and 10k Triffic Trail) we don't have cut off times but we do employ a sweeper to bring through the slower runners. We don't tend to organise anything bigger than that as it would take us out of the park and into traffic management.

Longer runs that I have done have always employed a cut off time and runners are encouraged on the application form to make sure they are capable of adhering to them. The disclaimer is that after a certain time the finish time will not be officially recorded and they are responsible for their own welfare.

Your 'photo person reminded me of when I did the London Marathon. There were people on mobile phones telling their loved ones where they were on the route. :shock:

''yah, I'm just coming over Tower Bridge. Yah, no, I'm fine!'' Idiots. :twisted: :roll:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 am

Awww hoboh, just teasing! ;) am sure when Gary and Harry hit 60 you'll still be around so you can have a moan then. They do far more running then I do!

Gary, that's interesting to know. Like your club we weren't going to put a cut off on the 5 miler but the dilemma is, say if on the 30 mike south downs race (which is run in, often sunny, July) we put a cut off on the entry form which a few people ignore and enter anyway, if when the time comes what's the legalities behind leaving someone to continue the run who is determined to finish, has got to about 25 miles and is slowing right down, looking like they're about to have a heart attack? I know they get a DNF and no time recorded officially but you can't physically make them stop, do other clubs leave them to it anyway? It's a but different if it's a long run in a city/urban area/road race to if it's in the middle of nowhere in the hills...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:46 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
On the shorter runs (5k handicap and 10k Triffic Trail) we don't have cut off times but we do employ a sweeper to bring through the slower runners.
:shock:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:49 am

So when are you getting your running shoes back on then Bish? ;)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:57 am

Gooner Girl wrote:Awww hoboh, just teasing! ;) am sure when Gary and Harry hit 60 you'll still be around so you can have a moan then. They do far more running then I do!

Gary, that's interesting to know. Like your club we weren't going to put a cut off on the 5 miler but the dilemma is, say if on the 30 mike south downs race (which is run in, often sunny, July) we put a cut off on the entry form which a few people ignore and enter anyway, if when the time comes what's the legalities behind leaving someone to continue the run who is determined to finish, has got to about 25 miles and is slowing right down, looking like they're about to have a heart attack? I know they get a DNF and no time recorded officially but you can't physically make them stop, do other clubs leave them to it anyway? It's a but different if it's a long run in a city/urban area/road race to if it's in the middle of nowhere in the hills...
Legally they have signed a disclaimer that they are responsible for their own welfare. You could make it affiliated runners only which would guarantee a certain level of fitness. It would also mean that club will be responsible for their own and make sure they got back safely.

Are you sure you mean 30 miles? It seems an awful long race for part-timers to be entering! :shock:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:58 am

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
On the shorter runs (5k handicap and 10k Triffic Trail) we don't have cut off times but we do employ a sweeper to bring through the slower runners.
:shock:

It'd speed the buggers up if we did. I may suggest it. :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote: Are you sure you mean 30 miles? It seems an awful long race for part-timers to be entering! :shock:

nahh - she said it was a "30 mike race" - which involves placing 30 people called mike end-to-end and running over them... I think it's a southern thing...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Awww hoboh, just teasing! ;) am sure when Gary and Harry hit 60 you'll still be around so you can have a moan then. They do far more running then I do!

Legally they have signed a disclaimer that they are responsible for their own welfare. You could make it affiliated runners only which would guarantee a certain level of fitness. It would also mean that club will be responsible for their own and make sure they got back safely.

Are you sure you mean 30 miles? It seems an awful long race for part-timers to be entering! :shock:
Yup, its definitely 30 miles (though, funnily enough, i've never run it! Might do the short course one year if i ever get my act together...) You should bring some runners down from up your way next year Gary, we get a lot coming from quite a distance to compete in it.

http://www.haywardsheathharriers.co.uk/ ... 65461.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:43 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote: Are you sure you mean 30 miles? It seems an awful long race for part-timers to be entering! :shock:

nahh - she said it was a "30 mike race" - which involves placing 30 people called mike end-to-end and running over them... I think it's a southern thing...
Alright! Typing on a phone is not always easy (as Bobo will agree...)

I note you carefully avoid the question about whether you will ever take up running again ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:52 pm

With my running days long behind me I sought out this thread just to ask a question:

Out walking the dog today I heard somebody running behind me. Glanced round to see a runner out and my eyes went immediately to his feet. He was a big lad, well over six feet and it was his shoes that made me watch them, fascinated, as he passed by. To start with,they looked about size 14's, but it was the cut of them that almost had me open-mouthed. I came in and found the image below as being something like, ( classed as running shoes) except his seemed to have glow-in-the-dark strips, front and rear flashing lights, right and left indicators and low-level radar to stop him running into trees. Okay, I'm exagerating, but they were HUGE and eye-staggering and looked to weigh a ton. :shock:

See, I always ran in tennis type shoes or much earlier style trainers (still got a pair of Arrow in the garage, I use for gardening ) for lightness,but his looked like handicaps, more diving boots than pumps. My brother's a serious walker and I know a good pair of stout boots are essential for that, but do folk really run in these things?

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Yup, look like a normal pair of running shoes to me Tango! :conf:

I don't think any serious runner would ever run in tennis shoes these days, its a totally different sport and totally different type of shoe needed. In tennis, you are doing short sprints in all different directions, twisting and turning, not a bit like distance running. I wear spikes for my track and field events and trainers for my 'jogs' - but running specific trainers.

Anyhow, just come in from training and i'm hot, sweaty and in desperate need of a bath, but we had a fab run tonight, not far or fast, just a couple of laps round the fields that make up the track, football pitch and rugby pitch where we train but glorious sunset and view of the south downs, weather cooled slightly, bantering with my running partner (he's a spurs fan!) feel quite motivated to go out again!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:With my running days long behind me I sought out this thread just to ask a question:

Out walking the dog today I heard somebody running behind me. Glanced round to see a runner out and my eyes went immediately to his feet. He was a big lad, well over six feet and it was his shoes that made me watch them, fascinated, as he passed by. To start with,they looked about size 14's, but it was the cut of them that almost had me open-mouthed. I came in and found the image below as being something like, ( classed as running shoes) except his seemed to have glow-in-the-dark strips, front and rear flashing lights, right and left indicators and low-level radar to stop him running into trees. Okay, I'm exagerating, but they were HUGE and eye-staggering and looked to weigh a ton. :shock:

See, I always ran in tennis type shoes or much earlier style trainers (still got a pair of Arrow in the garage, I use for gardening ) for lightness,but his looked like handicaps, more diving boots than pumps. My brother's a serious walker and I know a good pair of stout boots are essential for that, but do folk really run in these things?

Almost exactly the shoes I wear TD.

Running shoes have evolved from the seventies into some of the most sophisticated pieces of sports equipment you can buy, catering for neutral running gaits to over-pronates.

I'm experimenting with a more natural style at the moment though with some 'barefoot' running shoes which promotes a more natural mid-sole foot strike as opposed to the heel to toe strike which the normal running shoes force you to do.

The basic idea is that injuries are lessened because of the natural cushioning of your foot and the reduced impact on your heel, knee and hip.

I'm alternating at the moment as I can't go great distances but so far, so good.

Here they are (well similair). My daughter calls them my monkey feet. :grin:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:With my running days long behind me I sought out this thread just to ask a question:

Perhaps footballers should still play in pit boots too?! :roll:

You really don't do yourself any favours on the clueless old git front sometimes, but this time you really should've kept schtum. Diving boots? Modern running shoes are highly engineered lightweight accessories designed for the specific purpose of, get this, running in! :shock:

Tennis shoes likewise.

Your gardening shoes are probably best used for weeding.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 am

:lol: :pray:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:07 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Modern running shoes are highly engineered lightweight accessories designed for the specific purpose of, get this, running in! :shock:
And there was me thinking they'd been engineered entirely with the purpose of extracting the largest amount of wedge possible out of your wallet "Because all me mates are wearing them".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:20 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Modern running shoes are highly engineered lightweight accessories designed for the specific purpose of, get this, running in! :shock:
And there was me thinking they'd been engineered entirely with the purpose of extracting the largest amount of wedge possible out of your wallet "Because all me mates are wearing them".
no - that can't be true!! grown men and women couldn't be that gullible would they??? 8)