The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I went and saw a physio and had a scan this afternoon. Grade 2 tear but already healing well. Going to take it relatively safe and aim to be back on it in 5 weeks. No running for this first week.

Good luck. The longer you're off it the better it will be.
I'm in no particular rush, but this stuff about it knitting together shorter is valid I think.
I don't think it is. Valid, that is. Frozen joints are not due to the healing process, they are due to the trauma. Trauma and healing processes can all be overcome later by exercise and right living. Injuries that cause permanent mechanical damage are far more destructive of tissue than a mere tear.
What you are quoting, sounds like professional advice given to get athletes needing to earn a living back on track as fast as possible. This is not the best way forward for amateurs. Let it heal properly first, stretching can and will come later.
I wasn't thinking about joints at all - just the hamstring itself beign a bit shorter.

So, I do still think that is valid - but I also agree that what my mate described was an accelerated programme to get him back playing professional sport ASAP, and is not something I need do.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I went and saw a physio and had a scan this afternoon. Grade 2 tear but already healing well. Going to take it relatively safe and aim to be back on it in 5 weeks. No running for this first week.

Good luck. The longer you're off it the better it will be.
I'm in no particular rush, but this stuff about it knitting together shorter is valid I think.
I don't think it is. Valid, that is. Frozen joints are not due to the healing process, they are due to the trauma. Trauma and healing processes can all be overcome later by exercise and right living. Injuries that cause permanent mechanical damage are far more destructive of tissue than a mere tear.
What you are quoting, sounds like professional advice given to get athletes needing to earn a living back on track as fast as possible. This is not the best way forward for amateurs. Let it heal properly first, stretching can and will come later.
I wasn't thinking about joints at all - just the hamstring itself beign a bit shorter.

So, I do still think that is valid - but I also agree that what my mate described was an accelerated programme to get him back playing professional sport ASAP, and is not something I need do.
And I didn't quite think through my argument, as I had in mind an injury to my shoulder that the physio told me to rest before I started on execises for the muscles and ligaments. You're right, there's no joint involved with hamstring injuries, and therefore what I was on about is irrelevant to your case.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:48 pm

GtE - how was running in the olympic stadium? Some of our club ran too.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Spinning tonight and since they've dug up the roundabout at the Beehive - I'm going to have to run there first, then back home again. Not sure whether I'm up to it :oops:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:GtE - how was running in the olympic stadium? Some of our club ran too.

It was pretty good actually. Also if you caught the BBC news last night they had the back of my head on camera (you could clearly see the Trent Park vests).

It was a great event but the course was so narrow in parts it was difficult to get going properly in the early stages. So no PB but a respectable 36:59. Not bad considering I did our club Aquathlon the day before. But for my mate pacing me I'd have probably only managed sub 40 minutes.

Great atmosphere inside the ground too.

What did your friends think?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:GtE - how was running in the olympic stadium? Some of our club ran too.
... if you caught the BBC news last night they had the back of my head on camera (you could clearly see the Trent Park vests).
Your best side, Gary.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:02 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
... if you caught the BBC news last night they had the back of my head on camera (you could clearly see the Trent Park vests).
Your best side, Gary.
Harsh Bobo!

yes, think they enjoyed it, not chatted to them about it yet. Ones just getting back into running after pregnancy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Did a bitch hill 5K in 23.45 yesterday which is ok, if a bit flat.

More pressingly, for a couple of weeks, my achilles has a bit, for want of a better word, wobbly. Any ideas?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:Did a bitch hill 5K in 23.45 yesterday which is ok, if a bit flat.

More pressingly, for a couple of weeks, my achilles has a bit, for want of a better word, wobbly. Any ideas?
aye... cut out the running before it snaps!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:Did a bitch hill 5K in 23.45 yesterday which is ok, if a bit flat.

Pray! What started out as a calf problem for me in February, but was diagnosed as an achilles issue, is still bothering me now.

Lots of RICE, not so much of the rest but lots of the 'ice' and 'elevate' bits. Apparently, because of its location, fluid does not disperse from there easily.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Started doing more rowing recently (in le gym) flat-out 2ks in and around the 7.30m-7.45m mark.

Never in my life have I felt my legs screaming in pain like that before. Almost pass out at the end. I used to be able to do 5ks at uni but i've done that in about six years. If I tried that now I would most likely keel over at 3k. But it will happen.

(And it's also very good, short, exercise)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Nice evening at the track. I was mentoring one of the dads who's keen to help come coach. Structured a Long Jump session for him and then let him loose with the kids whilst I became chief raker of the pit for him. Quite nice to have a step back occasionally and watch someone else do it!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 am

Finally convinced Mrs GtE to try the open water swimming I've been doing for a couple of months now. (Not skinny dipping)

She loved it and is now wanting to do it every week. Problem is we'll have to alternate as my daughter needs to be taken to the track.

Hmmm

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Finally convinced Mrs GtE to try the open water swimming I've been doing for a couple of months now. (Not skinny dipping)

She loved it and is now wanting to do it every week. Problem is we'll have to alternate as my daughter needs to be taken to the track.

Hmmm
Didn't think that one through, did you?! :D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:15 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Finally convinced Mrs GtE to try the open water swimming I've been doing for a couple of months now. (Not skinny dipping)

Hmmm
Didn't think that one through, did you?! :D
Nope.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:50 am

I'm sunning myself in Cyprus and doing bugger all else but drink beer. I will however make a concerted effort to get fit on my return. Moving just down the road from Horwich leisure centre and am going to use it every day and get running on the moors. This thread actually does help to motivate my lazy arse. 10k lined up for 2nd Sunday in august, first for 14 months

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:57 am

LeverEnd wrote:I'm sunning myself in Cyprus and doing bugger all else but drink beer. I will however make a concerted effort to get fit on my return. Moving just down the road from Horwich leisure centre and am going to use it every day and get running on the moors. This thread actually does help to motivate my lazy arse. 10k lined up for 2nd Sunday in august, first for 14 months

For an 'Out and Back' with a difference try running up COR to Georges Lane then turning up towards the Pike. Once you get to the top (of the pike) turn and head back down again. From Crown Lane (near my parent's house) it's 47 mins. out and 35 mins. back.

8)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I'm sunning myself in Cyprus and doing bugger all else but drink beer. I will however make a concerted effort to get fit on my return. Moving just down the road from Horwich leisure centre and am going to use it every day and get running on the moors. This thread actually does help to motivate my lazy arse. 10k lined up for 2nd Sunday in august, first for 14 months

For an 'Out and Back' with a difference try running up COR to Georges Lane then turning up towards the Pike. Once you get to the top (of the pike) turn and head back down again. From Crown Lane (near my parent's house) it's 47 mins. out and 35 mins. back.

8)[/quote
Cheers I'll try that. When fitter I used to run from Lee lane to rivi school, then up the pike, across to the mast, then two lads, then down through the woods and along the path behind the houses til I got back to Lee lane. Will work back up to that one!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:00 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

8)[/quote
Cheers I'll try that. When fitter I used to run from Lee lane to rivi school, then up the pike, across to the mast, then two lads, then down through the woods and along the path behind the houses til I got back to Lee lane. Will work back up to that one!

fecking show off! :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:23 pm

[quote="Gary the Enfield"]

For an 'Out and Back' with a difference try running up COR to Georges Lane then turning up towards the Pike. Once you get to the top (of the pike) turn and head back down again. From Crown Lane (near my parent's house) it's 47 mins. out and 35 mins. back.[/quote

...in the car, surely!