The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:40 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:52 pm
Just as I was getting my running mojo back, I have been laid low by an insect bite of all things. The ‘wound’ has become infected and I now appear to have a cankle and club foot! Hopefully, the antibiotics prescribed start to kick in and I can get back to it next week.
A Pound to a pinch of shit says that this insect bite wasn't from a water boatman, you soft c*nt. 😝
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Insect bite on the ankle!

Sounds like a lame excuse.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:04 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:39 pm
Insect bite on the ankle!

Sounds like a lame excuse.
I see what you did there :lol:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:40 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:52 pm
Just as I was getting my running mojo back, I have been laid low by an insect bite of all things. The ‘wound’ has become infected and I now appear to have a cankle and club foot! Hopefully, the antibiotics prescribed start to kick in and I can get back to it next week.
A Pound to a pinch of shit says that this insect bite wasn't from a water boatman, you soft c*nt. 😝
Doc said it’s the worst bite she’s ever seen. Lucky not to lose my leg. 😉

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:12 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:58 pm
After getting well into it and at one point not missing a run for 46 consecutive days, I can't be arsed any more. Not quite sure why but a combination of aches and pains and not seeing any real improvement despite doing loads and losing so much weight I look like I've been dug up. fecking running! Maybe when racing starts again. I'll be 45 by then and a fresh faced youngster in the new age group. 😁
Also going an age group up this year. :cry: Though will miss all my t & f ‘season’ thanks to Covid.

Sounds like you’ve been over doing it! 46 days on the trot?! Give it a brief rest then come back to it slightly less hard core?! And eat a few pies/sink a few beers if you’ve lost that much weight. Shouldn’t be too much of a trial for you?!
Boozing and eating like a champ, still look like death warmed up! Going to do shorter faster stuff to change it up. Started with a virtual mile charity club race last week, felt like my lungs were on fire.
Yesterday did a 'gentle' introduction to core strength with the Joe Wicks 10 min abs YouTube workout. Feel like I've been repeatedly booted in the guts today! 😁

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:43 am

I'm following the grow old gracefully YouTube upload. Seems to be working for me.

Mind you, for some reason I'm the lightest I've been in 30 years.

No one believed me when I said I'm just a social drinker. Can't be doing with that drinking indoors malarky.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:25 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:12 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:58 pm
After getting well into it and at one point not missing a run for 46 consecutive days, I can't be arsed any more. Not quite sure why but a combination of aches and pains and not seeing any real improvement despite doing loads and losing so much weight I look like I've been dug up. fecking running! Maybe when racing starts again. I'll be 45 by then and a fresh faced youngster in the new age group. 😁
Also going an age group up this year. :cry: Though will miss all my t & f ‘season’ thanks to Covid.

Sounds like you’ve been over doing it! 46 days on the trot?! Give it a brief rest then come back to it slightly less hard core?! And eat a few pies/sink a few beers if you’ve lost that much weight. Shouldn’t be too much of a trial for you?!
Boozing and eating like a champ, still look like death warmed up! Going to do shorter faster stuff to change it up. Started with a virtual mile charity club race last week, felt like my lungs were on fire.
Yesterday did a 'gentle' introduction to core strength with the Joe Wicks 10 min abs YouTube workout. Feel like I've been repeatedly booted in the guts today! 😁
Ooh, might have to try the joe wicks abs one. I’ve been doing this abs workout at least 5 x a week for the last three or so weeks and my flab is feeling slightly firmer I think!

https://youtu.be/1919eTCoESo

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:30 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:43 am
I'm following the grow old gracefully YouTube upload. Seems to be working for me.

No one believed me when I said I'm just a social drinker. Can't be doing with that drinking indoors malarky.
I love it. Socially and solo. Sat up til 4 the other night watching YouTube live music clips and drinking sidecars (Cointreau and white rum with lemon). Lovely stuff.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:08 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:30 pm
Enoch wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:43 am

I love it. Socially and solo. Sat up til 4 the other night watching YouTube live music clips and drinking sidecars (Cointreau and white rum with lemon). Lovely stuff.

How are you getting on with those twelve steps!
:lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:24 pm

Bury's off! :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:35 pm

I staggered out for a slow 3 miler yesterday with a friend. I hate running in this weather! Don’t understand why certain people won’t run in the rain. :conf: I think I prefer it. Too hot down south for anymore exercise this week! ☀️

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Yeah it's ridiculous. Something pinged in my leg last time it was this hot about 4 weeks ago and still isn't fixed. Going stir crazy again.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:56 pm
Yeah it's ridiculous. Something pinged in my leg last time it was this hot about 4 weeks ago and still isn't fixed. Going stir crazy again.
I really fancy a swim and Boris has just said no to pools for ages yet! :evil: Still, saving a shed load with the kids swimming lessons and swim club fees (if we hadn’t had to spend it on car repairs)!

Leg sounds painful Pru. Shame, you were flying along fitness wise weren’t you?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:35 pm
I staggered out for a slow 3 miler yesterday with a friend. I hate running in this weather! Don’t understand why certain people won’t run in the rain. :conf: I think I prefer it. Too hot down south for anymore exercise this week! ☀️

Don’t you bloody start! :Jedi:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:10 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:47 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

I mentioned no names. If you’ve got a guilty conscience... :conf:

Besides, hasn’t HG joined you in the ranks of softy northerners now?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:50 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:10 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:47 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

I mentioned no names. If you’ve got a guilty conscience... :conf:

Besides, hasn’t HG joined you in the ranks of softy northerners now?

Butter wouldn’t melt....

Yes. HG is a rain dodger. Sorry mate, just dragging you down with me. 😉

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 pm
Prufrock wrote:
I really fancy a swim and Boris has just said no to pools for ages yet! :evil: Still, saving a shed load with the kids swimming lessons and swim club fees (if we hadn’t had to spend it on car repairs)!

Yeah I was doing pretty well. Then that happened. It nearly healed so I went and played a weird made up socially distanced bit of football. Sort of like curby. The day after it was killing me and hasn't gone in 3 weeks. Going to start doing some yoga next week and back on it the week after. But 4 weeks doing sod all won't have helped.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Pool opening delayed again. Plenty of Open Water Swimming to choose from though.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:54 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Pool opening delayed again. Plenty of Open Water Swimming to choose from though.
You must be joking! 🥶

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm one of the last to complain about hot weather, but it's tough running right now. Did 17 miles on my girlfriend's shit bike yesterday (because the car is fecked) to work and back then a hill session in the evening. Did me in.
A hilly path through woodland at the back of the windmill on Wimbledon common sounds quite romantic but I'd actually less so when you're sweating your bollocks off and inhaling the stench of dogshit from bin at the top. And alarming dog walkers trying unsuccessfully to cough up a fly.
Eyeing the York marathon on Oct 28. But not committing right now.