The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:40 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I'm sunning myself in Cyprus and doing bugger all else but drink beer. I will however make a concerted effort to get fit on my return. Moving just down the road from Horwich leisure centre and am going to use it every day and get running on the moors. This thread actually does help to motivate my lazy arse. 10k lined up for 2nd Sunday in august, first for 14 months
Give us a shout if you want some company over the fells - I'd be up for it if I'm ever fully fit again - and get yourself a head torch for this winter!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I'm sunning myself in Cyprus and doing bugger all else but drink beer. I will however make a concerted effort to get fit on my return. Moving just down the road from Horwich leisure centre and am going to use it every day and get running on the moors. This thread actually does help to motivate my lazy arse. 10k lined up for 2nd Sunday in august, first for 14 months
Give us a shout if you want some company over the fells - I'd be up for it if I'm ever fully fit again - and get yourself a head torch for this winter!
Will do, thanks.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:19 pm

So, Usain Bolt has apparently accepted Mo Farahs challenge of a 600m race for charity, who do you reckon is going to win?!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:So, Usain Bolt has apparently accepted Mo Farahs challenge of a 600m race for charity, who do you reckon is going to win?!
Charity. Charity will be the true winner. *halo*
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:So, Usain Bolt has apparently accepted Mo Farahs challenge of a 600m race for charity, who do you reckon is going to win?!
It depends ... will there be a drugs test ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 am

Probably Bolt can hold out for 600m. If it were 800m then definitely Mo. Bolton can run 45 maybe quicker for 400m, Mo,I'd guess high 48 or 49ish. 600m absolute limit for Bolt I'd say, but prob just enough to edge Mo. Irrelevant as to who is the greater athlete (clearly Bolt, despite my long distance bias) but an interesting spectacle nonetheless.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:11 am

I swam for 1500m continuously last night in the Lea Valley open Water pool. Furthest I have ever swam (swum? swimmed?)

Anyway I did it without a wetsuit (too warm) and just wore my tri-suit so in proper kit I would have been faster.

42min 27 secs in total. Slow but steady. Then I got out and ran a 2.5km loop round the venue.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Probably Bolt can hold out for 600m. If it were 800m then definitely Mo. Bolton can run 45 maybe quicker for 400m, Mo,I'd guess high 48 or 49ish. 600m absolute limit for Bolt I'd say, but prob just enough to edge Mo. Irrelevant as to who is the greater athlete (clearly Bolt, despite my long distance bias) but an interesting spectacle nonetheless.
I reckon Bolt would win it too, be a fascinating race though.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:44 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Probably Bolt can hold out for 600m. If it were 800m then definitely Mo. Bolton can run 45 maybe quicker for 400m, Mo,I'd guess high 48 or 49ish. 600m absolute limit for Bolt I'd say, but prob just enough to edge Mo. Irrelevant as to who is the greater athlete (clearly Bolt, despite my long distance bias) but an interesting spectacle nonetheless.
I disagree, I reckon Mo would win. I think 600m is at least 200m too far for Bolt to properly judge either his take off speed or alternatively his finishing speed at that distance, whereas Farah can just go all out, he won't have to bother calculating anything.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
I disagree, I reckon Mo would win. I think 600m is at least 200m too far for Bolt to properly judge either his take off speed or alternatively his finishing speed at that distance, whereas Farah can just go all out, he won't have to bother calculating anything.
Hmmm, that's a good point, but am pretty sure Bolt would do a few 600's in training to get an idea of what pace he should go at.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Hmmm, that's a good point, but am pretty sure Bolt would do a few 600's in training to get an idea of what pace he should go at.
That's the thing. In order to not run out of steam his pace will have to be significantly slower than his 400m pace, and if he achieves that he either messes with his start - which is very difficult to do for a sprinter or he compromises by dropping his overall pace but being frustrated mentally when he feels he should be running faster.
It is moot until they actually do compete, but I'd put money on Mo and be quite confident of getting a return.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 am

He'll do over-distance work, he can run 45 s at least for the 400m, whereas Mo would do 48ish flat-out, and I think he'll hang on for 200m after that. He'd find it hard, no doubt, but I don't see anything other than a Bolt win. Hope I'm wrong though.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:52 am

Is it going ahead then? and if yes, do we know when?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Is it going ahead then? and if yes, do we know when?
No date set yet.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:10 pm

There'll be a smidgin of coverage of today's Ironman on the regional BBC news at 19:50 on BBC2. Harry's also mentioned the disparity between the lack of coverage of Ironman and the bicycle ride around London commanding live BBC television coverage, but shirley this takes the piss, no?

Just so you know, the Ironman bike ride alone is 112 miles long and includes a total climb of 5249 feet, this is on the back of a 2.4 mile open-water swim and is followed by a 26.2 mile run.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:There'll be a smidgin of coverage of today's Ironman on the regional BBC news at 19:50 on BBC2. Harry's also mentioned the disparity between the lack of coverage of Ironman and the bicycle ride around London commanding live BBC television coverage, but shirley this takes the piss, no?

Just so you know, the Ironman bike ride alone is 112 miles long and includes a total climb of 5249 feet, this is on the back of a 2.4 mile open-water swim and is followed by a 26.2 mile run.
That's what GtE is building up to if he gets over his current man flu. Or is it a half iron man? Either way, it's impressive stuff. Shame there isn't more coverage.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm going for tin man...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:21 pm

thebish wrote:I'm going for tin man...
I'll be Cowardly Lion then. Eeeeef I only had the noyerve.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 am

I can't remember where I posted about the World Championship Hen Racing, but as it's a running sport (of sorts) I'll stick it here.
Sad to say that I'm not World Champion. That honour went to the hamlet of Ible (pop. ~3). There was this year a Ukranian entry, and Ukranian TV turned up.
My hen was not entered due to the fact that the person who I entrusted with its registration (while I slunk off to watch Burnely-Bolton match) was faaaaaaaar too interested in the simultaneous beer festival that was taking place, and therefore failed to register my hen. I too became embroiled in the beer festival and me and my hen stayed out way beyond our bedtime. Both the hen and I spent most of Sunday recovering. The hen seems perfectly happy with her disappointment, whereas I'm still rueing the headache which appears to be chronic and possibly terminal.
I'm just hoping that no youtube clips from the Ukraine will appear.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:24 am

^ you didn't get her registered because you knew she'd fail the drugs test...