Phoenix Nights : The Movie

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Good idea?

Good idea
25%
Bad idea
29%
Garlic bread
25%
Den Perry
21%

Total votes: 24

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Phoenix Nights : The Movie

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Being mooted by Senor Kay

Good idea? Bad idea? Garlic bread?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Phoenix Nights : The Movie

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 pm

I thought most of the cast have said that they wouldn't work with Kay again :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:52 pm

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2011/09/1 ... e_movie%3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter Kay is set to make a big-screen version of Phoenix Nights, following the success of The Inbetweeners film.

The comic says he has been approached by movie producers, and has already written a script he hopes will be made.

He told Real Radio North West: ‘It's written, I've written it. It's done. They've even asked me, with this Inbetweeners film, if you want to make a film of it.

‘The biggest problem is getting everyone together.’

Kay has previously had a major falling-out with Phoenix Nights co-creator Dave Spikey, who felt Kay took all the credit for the show – especially when he accepted a writing prize alone.

Kay, 38, also revealed that he has two possible movies for Max and Paddy, his spin-off series with Paddy McGuinness.

He said: ‘Me and Paddy have written two Christmas specials that could be films.’

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:52 pm

As much as I loved the show, this just seems a bit :doh: to me

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:55 pm

One for GG here.

''Yer too late, t'band's gone by''

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I thought most of the cast have said that they wouldn't work with Kay again :conf:
I'm sure enough dollars would change their minds..

As for Peter Kay, it shows how little material he has. He's always rehashing the same jokes, the same characters and the same dull and tedious catchphrases.

It'll be Christmas release time soon too.. So you'll be able to check out his 'new' book and his 'new' DVD.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Already happened. He was signing copies of his new book this week in London.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:37 pm

If he calls it a movie I'm not going to it.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Personally......bad idea.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:24 am

I'd prefer a third season of Phoenix Nights if anything.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:35 am

It'd be shite. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Businesswoman of the year.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:54 am

Not too sure what remains to be said about the North West club scene that would translate to big screen

I don't know if I could avoid watching it if it was made, the series was so great. But fear car crash

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:16 am

You never know he might do a Dylan and go electric........

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 am

Caught 5 minutes of him on Jonothan Ross show last week. Feckin' dire; plugging his book and feckin around with the studio scenery. Freddie Star did it 25 years ago..............and it wasn't funny then either. But PK has a real problem if you ask me. He's tried to be 'mainstream' with that Geraldine sh ite, and couldn't do it. For me it just wasn't funny. He's created this personna of 'professional northerner' and the work he's done around that has been very good, yet living in the south, I know a lot of people who just don't get it. The subtelty of the humour is lost on a lot of southerners, they don't get the references and inferences. Rufus Hound once described Kay as 'good at remembering'; and when PK used that in his humour he was very funny, because it acted as a conduit to the audience, we could all remember rola cola etc, and it awoke happy memories for us all, so as an audience we were very willing to involve ourselves in his act. Many young comics have adopted & adapted the 'remembering thing' (Russell Kane for one); and are enjoying in these present times, a lot more success than Peter Kay. He needs a new vehicle for his humour, and re visiting Pheonix Nights isn't it. And he needs something quickly, or we will all be saying "do you remember that Peter Kay fella? He was good once, I wonder what happened to him?"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:22 am

Il Pirate wrote:Caught 5 minutes of him on Jonothan Ross show last week. Feckin' dire; plugging his book and feckin around with the studio scenery. Freddie Star did it 25 years ago..............and it wasn't funny then either. But PK has a real problem if you ask me. He's tried to be 'mainstream' with that Geraldine sh ite, and couldn't do it. For me it just wasn't funny. He's created this personna of 'professional northerner' and the work he's done around that has been very good, yet living in the south, I know a lot of people who just don't get it. The subtelty of the humour is lost on a lot of southerners, they don't get the references and inferences. Rufus Hound once described Kay as 'good at remembering'; and when PK used that in his humour he was very funny, because it acted as a conduit to the audience, we could all remember rola cola etc, and it awoke happy memories for us all, so as an audience we were very willing to involve ourselves in his act. Many young comics have adopted & adapted the 'remembering thing' (Russell Kane for one); and are enjoying in these present times, a lot more success than Peter Kay. He needs a new vehicle for his humour, and re visiting Pheonix Nights isn't it. And he needs something quickly, or we will all be saying "do you remember that Peter Kay fella? He was good once, I wonder what happened to him?"
Aye that Peter Kay he's got HUUUGE problems.

What with only being worth about £10M, able to live the rest of his life without doing a days work. With several successful tv series and comedy tours completed. He's so "past it" that he's just sold out the MEN arena for what 19 nights on the back of the what 30 nights or so he's already done sold out there? Not to mention, all them bestselling books and DVDS he's got to his name.

Jeez, I do wonder how he sleeps at night. I really do!

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:Caught 5 minutes of him on Jonothan Ross show last week. Feckin' dire; plugging his book and feckin around with the studio scenery. Freddie Star did it 25 years ago..............and it wasn't funny then either. But PK has a real problem if you ask me. He's tried to be 'mainstream' with that Geraldine sh ite, and couldn't do it. For me it just wasn't funny. He's created this personna of 'professional northerner' and the work he's done around that has been very good, yet living in the south, I know a lot of people who just don't get it. The subtelty of the humour is lost on a lot of southerners, they don't get the references and inferences. Rufus Hound once described Kay as 'good at remembering'; and when PK used that in his humour he was very funny, because it acted as a conduit to the audience, we could all remember rola cola etc, and it awoke happy memories for us all, so as an audience we were very willing to involve ourselves in his act. Many young comics have adopted & adapted the 'remembering thing' (Russell Kane for one); and are enjoying in these present times, a lot more success than Peter Kay. He needs a new vehicle for his humour, and re visiting Pheonix Nights isn't it. And he needs something quickly, or we will all be saying "do you remember that Peter Kay fella? He was good once, I wonder what happened to him?"

What with only being worth about £10M, able to live the rest of his life without doing a days work. With several successful tv series and comedy tours completed. He's so "past it" that he's just sold out the MEN arena for what 19 nights on the back of the what 30 nights or so he's already done sold out there? Not to mention, all them bestselling books and DVDS he's got to his name.

But as an artist at the top of his trade, he's fooked...........

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 am

Il Pirate wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But as an artist at the top of his trade, he's fooked...........
How many other "artists at the top of their trade" could sell out the MEN for so many nights in the same month?

Its like all those "original" fans of Coldplay who don't like em cos they've gone mainstream and their music is not as good as it was when nobody knew them. What do Coldplay care? They're minted. Yeah they are a laughing stock amongst critics and the "hardcore" and they'll never be anything but that. But they sell out huge arenas and sell millions of records. I'd not buy one, but I very much doubt they care.

Same for Peter Kay, he's massively popular. Is he recycling material? Sure. But there are few, if any comedians who wouldn't swap places with right now. That to me is very much the definition of an artist right at the top of his trade!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:11 am

Didn't he say he wanted to remake Die Hard? Called 'Die Well Hard'

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Do you know I watched the same interview and laughed all through. Peter Kay doesn't give straight interviews and I loved the way he brought everyone else into scaring Johnathon Ross. Hugh Jackman, a Hollywood 'A' listed played the same trick on Ross after convincing him he was hurt in a mock 'landing after been fired from a cannon' stunt.

It was great comedy and I find Peter Kay charming, inoffensive and unashamedly Boltonian. Leave the man be.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Do you know I watched the same interview and laughed all through. Peter Kay doesn't give straight interviews and I loved the way he brought everyone else into scaring Johnathon Ross. Hugh Jackman, a Hollywood 'A' listed played the same trick on Ross after convincing him he was hurt in a mock 'landing after been fired from a cannon' stunt.

It was great comedy and I find Peter Kay charming, inoffensive and unashamedly Boltonian. Leave the man be.
Indeed, I agree. I didn't see it, but find the "criticism" he gets from Bolton folk, quite frankly absurd.

As for "he's tried to go mainstream and failed" I just think thats laugable. How much more successful mainstream can you get than sell out mahoosive arena tours, sucessful prime time TV shows and talk of a movie? Short of growing long grey hair a silly "goatee" and speaking in an exagerrated media friendly Scottish Accent, I'm really not sure how much more succesful in the mainstream he could be?

Failed? My arse.