Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
15%

Total votes: 39

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:40 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 pm
^^ I can't.
Just do the comedy accent then. You could even try the Millwall accent, but it might give Bruce a few nightmares :)
I can't.
Konta Caaaaaan't? :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:40 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 pm
^^ I can't.
Just do the comedy accent then. You could even try the Millwall accent, but it might give Bruce a few nightmares :)
I can't.
Konta Caaaaaan't? :D
Konta's :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:16 am

" Give me hope Joanna"...Come on Jo..... :oyea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFcmNu4KdGI
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:22 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:15 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 am
At least there aren't "get it over the net" shouts every shot. Something to be thankful for.
Oh, don't worry A.T. we're fast catching up with the Yanks at making being fans "fanatical". Won't be long before it happens.. Golf used to be very "gentlemanly" at one time and they soon changed all that. :wink:
Which is strange as when I went to an NBA game years ago in the US the fans were about as fanatical as a sloth. Most didn't stay in their seats for more than 5 minutes until the last few minutes of the game. The rest of the time they were either getting food and drinks or trying to catch thing thrown into the crowd (I use crowd very loosely) to keep them entertained. It was absolutely awful apart from a handful of away fans.
It may depend on the location AT. The Bell Centre in Montreal is known for its rabid fanatical hockey fans, and the atmosphere at games is loud and electric. 300 miles down the 401 in Toronto, there is said to be far less atmosphere and noise. The attendees are often given corporate give-aways and may not be true fans at all. Unlike tennis and golf, you can of course yell whenever you want.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:52 am

Really tough on Jo Kontah as the scores made it look far less close than it was. I've never liked her opponent and she is a real mistress of gamesmanship. All that Bruce Grobelar style twitching her arms legs and racket about when an opponent is serving is bad form, and she threw the ball up and let it drop without playing a stroke so many times she should have had a warning about it. Ok, she is a great tennis player but Jo K will have her day. Felt sorry for her today.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 am

Edmund on fire and into the Australian Open semi final. Will play the winner of Nadal and Cilic.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am

jmjhb wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 am
Edmund on fire and into the Australian Open semi final. Will play the winner of Nadal and Cilic.
Been amazed (and delighted) keep reading of his progress. What with him, our golfer lad and the one-day cricketers, it's looking quite promising on the sports scene, although Murray (injury) and Jo Konta seem to have lost form

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Looks like Murray is done. Such a shame he couldn't recover.

Genuine British sporting great. Cannot over-state how impressive it was to win 3 slams and come so close to more in this era. The dedication and hard-work is phenomenal. And grown up from stroppy teenager to interesting genuinely decent guy all in the public eye. What a role model.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 pm

I've been a fan from the start. Never paid much heed to the media bollocks around his being Scottish and all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:15 pm
Looks like Murray is done. Such a shame he couldn't recover.

Genuine British sporting great. Cannot over-state how impressive it was to win 3 slams and come so close to more in this era. The dedication and hard-work is phenomenal. And grown up from stroppy teenager to interesting genuinely decent guy all in the public eye. What a role model.
Probably the greatest British sportsman I’ve ever had the pleasure to watch. An absolute hero who put his body through hell to get to the top of the sport.

Those of us who followed his world number 1 quest in the second half of 2016 did fear he was doing too much and that it would shorten his career. But Christ he made it to the top, scaled the mountain and became world number 1. In arguably the greatest and strongest era the sport has ever seen.

He must be very sad. But he has nothing left to prove. He achieved everything in his career that his critics said he couldn’t. He even made the miserable Federere gushing centre court mob love him.

Not ashamed to say he’s one of my heroes.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Saw someone say that some sports people like Federer/ Zidane make top level sport look like it's being played by gods, others show is really played by obstinate grunting hard-headed never say die mortals. Murray is in that second camp.

Up there with Hamilton as the greatest British sportspeople of their generation for me (Ronnie?). Though I'd much rather go for a pint with Murray!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:21 pm
Those of us who followed his world number 1 quest in the second half of 2016 did fear he was doing too much and that it would shorten his career.
You really do know everything!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 pm
Saw someone say that some sports people like Federer/ Zidane make top level sport look like it's being played by gods, others show is really played by obstinate grunting hard-headed never say die mortals. Murray is in that second camp.

Up there with Hamilton as the greatest British sportspeople of their generation for me (Ronnie?). Though I'd much rather go for a pint with Murray!
Chris Froome, with an argument for Cavendish would be my greatest of the generation.
Both have utterly dominated their disciplines while in their peak, something no British rider had ever done. Both have dragged cycling into the mainstream and have made seeing British riders on the top step of the podium a routine event. Both of their records put them with the all time greats in the sport, and their relative achievements eclipse Murray’s.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Not sure about that even on merit (that they eclipse Murray rather than that they are impressive) but surely any cycling achievements carry a pretty huge asterix (at least until a fair bit of time has passed)?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Meat and fish...

... I bet even Our Lord Roger has caressed the odd monkey gland and I'll want some convincing the Spaniard hasn't enjoyed an occasional milkshake.

Good as all our modern day 'heros' are, I'm still firmly in the Daley Thompson camp. A proper amateur that raised the standard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Not sure about that even on merit (that they eclipse Murray rather than that they are impressive) but surely any cycling achievements carry a pretty huge asterix (at least until a fair bit of time has passed)?
Dare I... :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Nobody can convince me that a scrawny kid from Dunblane winning Wimbledon doesn’t eclipse virtually anything else in our modern sporting history.

Murray had every obstacle possible. British cycling has had huge resources thrown at it in the past few decades. British tennis....hmmm....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Brian Jacks. No way would Murray beat him. Even your cycling fellas wouldn't stand a chance :oyea:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 pm
Brian Jacks. No way would Murray beat him. Even your cycling fellas wouldn't stand a chance :oyea:
I wager even an injured Murray would beat him in a three setter!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 pm
Nobody can convince me that a scrawny kid from Dunblane winning Wimbledon doesn’t eclipse virtually anything else in our modern sporting history.

Murray had every obstacle possible. British cycling has had huge resources thrown at it in the past few decades. British tennis....hmmm....

As the best British tennis player ever, possibly (open era certainly). The best British tennis player for a number of generations, undoubtedly. However, he is the fourth best of his generation. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are so far ahead of him they are out of sight.

Elsewhere, you have the worlds best sportsmen / sportswomen who have achieved as much if not more than Murray.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.