Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
15%

Total votes: 39

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by seanworth » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Keeps fighting. Knew this was going to be a tough match. Might just be who has the most left at the end.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Lost to a better player 'on the day', a player who he may have beaten the week before and then the week after, so i would ask myself 'why?', thats all. Maybe three times is not a coincidence, i would reserve judgement until (if) he makes it 4 x finals and comes out second best, and until such time maybe file him under the Not Quite Good Enough category.

But he's more of a puzzle than yer Tim Henman and yer Jeremy Bates ever were, because we know he can beat these big players.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 pm

seanworth wrote:Keeps fighting. Knew this was going to be a tough match. Might just be who has the most left at the end.
Both will run and run all day, so yep you're likely right.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:17 pm

And he goes 2-1 up.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:19 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Lost to a better player 'on the day', a player who he may have beaten the week before and then the week after, so i would ask myself 'why?', thats all. Maybe three times is not a coincidence, i would reserve judgement until (if) he makes it 4 x finals and comes out second best, and until such time maybe file him under the Not Quite Good Enough category.

But he's more of a puzzle than yer Tim Henman and yer Jeremy Bates ever were, because we know he can beat these big players.
He's lost to Federer twice in a final and Djokovic once. Better players than him. How is that down to bottle? They were expected to beat him and he did.

He's beaten those players yes, but not that often. And not often late on in 5 set tournaments.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Murry's into the semi's

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Murray managed to go up a gear and surprisingly Ferrer dropped ever so slightly.

Tsonga will not be easy. Not easy at all.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Job done. Looked like hard work but he held on well at times and got there in the end. Still don't like him , but well done. :wink:

In fairness, he's the best we've had for a long time. Plays the world's best and beats them at times. Can't ask for much more.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Good match. Now of course he goes up against Tsonga, and have to admit I much prefer Tsonga to Murray. Would like to like Murray more but he makes it so hard everytime I listen to him in an interview. Should be a fun match to watch though whatever the outcome.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Murray looks fooked all ways here. Seems to have no energy and his usual tactic of trying to wear the opponent down won't work against Ferrer, quite the opposite.

Ferrer has this match by the balls, if he doesn't fook up then Murray is a goner!
:lmfao:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Murray looks fooked all ways here. Seems to have no energy and his usual tactic of trying to wear the opponent down won't work against Ferrer, quite the opposite.

Ferrer has this match by the balls, if he doesn't fook up then Murray is a goner!
Bruce Rioja wrote:I'll have you a pint (as I'm sure our paths will cross on licenced premises before too long) that he goes out to Marcos Baghdatis, Chief.
:wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Bruce Rioja wrote:I'll have you a pint (as I'm sure our paths will cross on licenced premises before too long) that he goes out to Marcos Baghdatis, Chief.
Mine was nothing more than a hunch before they'd even reached the place - yours was your usual listen-up-cretins-for-this-is-how-it-is official version of events and exacting eventualities. ;)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Mine was nothing more than a hunch before they'd even reached the place - yours was your usual listen-up-cretins-for-this-is-how-it-is official version of events and exacting eventualities. ;)
Or alternatively it was just an opinion on a forum of opinions.......

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Or alternatively it was just an opinion on a forum of opinions.......
Nah!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:11 am

I went out to work pretty much straight after my last post. Thankfully it was deeeead so I got to pretty much watch the rest. Made me chuckle coming back reading the last few pages.

Overall I thought it was cracking match, some of the stuff the pair of them played in the first two and a half sets was outstanding. Ferrer is a very good player, technically good, and runs like a terrier. Murray stepped it up when it counted and ran him into the ground. At one point he had Ferrer all over the place, then played a drop shot Ferrer didn't even go for. You don't see that too often. When he is as assertive, particularly on his backhand as you saw from the end of the second you can see why he is 4 in the world.

Will be interesting against Tsonga. If he serves well he and is positive he has a very good chance. I can't see him winning it, the other two are just that bit better, but I hope he gets there.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:23 am

So, this Frenchie - I know nowt about him. What are his strengths and weaknesses then?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:So, this Frenchie - I know nowt about him. What are his strengths and weaknesses then?

He gotta big Mowf!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:55 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:So, this Frenchie - I know nowt about him. What are his strengths and weaknesses then?
Big serve, big forehand, very athletic, and would probably be in the top 3 or 4 if he wasn't so inconsistent. Has the ability to blast anyone off the court but equally has the ability to give away games quite easily.

Will be a close one.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:01 am

They've played 3 times on grass, and it's currently 2-1 in Murray's favour. That defeat was a Challenger in 2004 though, so hardly relevant now.
Last edited by jmjhb on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:02 am

Amazing match last night. Very surprised at Ferrer - a commanding position in both of the first two sets but then he tried to throw the first one away and succeeded in throwing the second away, at which point Murray was back in the game and played the big points very well - 130mph serves at crucial points is a nice touch and actually not something the top 6 or 7 players at the moment do with any regularity.

Tsonga - all the weapons to beat anyone but a curious habit of disappearing for pockets of games at a time. Which is why I actually fancy Murray against him more than I did against Ferrer.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families